Xenon bulbs

Old July 8th 05, 11:21 AM
Catman

GT wrote:

> "Pete" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:54:06 +0100, "Simon Mason"
>> >, wrote:
>>
>>>These are *not* Xenon discharge lamps which come standard on a number of
>>>cars now. They are merely ordinary halogen lamps tinted to look like
>>>them.

>> Exactly. They are Not Xenon.
>> If you want to know about Xenon
>> www.XENONDEPOT.com
>> The FAQ page is useful if you want to know about Xenon
>> and what and how different headlights work.
>> It might be handy to read before shopping elsewhere.
>>
>> Pete

> If I may conclude - these bulbs are Xenon filled, so technically can be
> called Xenon headlight bulbs, but they are not what we generally refer to
> as Xenon headlights. Xenon headlights require replacement clusters,
> different wiring and give a HID look. These ebay advertised Xenon bulbs
> are just ordinary halogen bulbs filled with Xenon gas. You get what you
> pay for - £12 on ebay for Xenon filled bulbs, which are brighter than the
> normal bulbs and give a HID look. Some are tinted, but not all. However
> for about £300-400 you can get a Xenon *discharge* conversion kit to give
> a true HID light (High Intensity Discharge).

Well said, sir.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 10th 05, 10:34 AM
Hans-Joachim Pfeifer

Please, one question. I'm understanding, these bulbs are no true HID light.
But, my question: are they brighter than H4 bulbs?
Thank's
m...

Old July 10th 05, 12:31 PM
Catman

Hans-Joachim Pfeifer wrote:

> Please, one question. I'm understanding, these bulbs are no true HID
> light. But, my question: are they brighter than H4 bulbs?
> Thank's

Almost certainly not. They may appear brighter, but apart from anything
else, there is a maximum legal brightness (well tehcnically wattage,
but.....). It's to stop people from dazzling other road users.

Old July 11th 05, 09:58 AM
GT

They claim to be 40%-70% brighter. Most of them give a colour temperature as
well - 5800k, or 6000k for example. Which is *whiter* than normal bulbs, but
I don't know if they are brighter. They do claim to be though.

Old July 11th 05, 11:52 AM
Catman

GT wrote:

> They claim to be 40%-70% brighter. Most of them give a colour temperature
> as well - 5800k, or 6000k for example. Which is *whiter* than normal
> bulbs, but I don't know if they are brighter. They do claim to be though.

They may appear brighter due to the higer colour temperature. Some may even
be acutally putting out more lumens (or lux or whatever). I doubt it would
be significant though.

I suppose it also depends on your personal colour sensitivity.

Old July 11th 05, 12:14 PM
Chris S

i've just changed the bulbs in my 146 for some Osram Silverstar ones,
which are the brightest (lumens) you can get without going for a higher
wattage bulb.

the "blue" "xenon" "hid look" bulbs do give a whiter light sometimes,
but they are normally dimmer, this chart was usefull when i was
deciding which ones to get..

Osram or Sylvania H1 (regular normal):
1550 lumens, 650 hours

Osram or Sylvania H1 long life:
1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Osram H1 Super
1700 lumens, 350 hours

Osram H1 Silver Star (NOT Sylvania Silver Star):
1770 lumens, 350 hours

Osram H1 CoolBlue or Sylvania H1 Silver Star:
1380 lumens, 225 hours

as you can see the silverstar has the highest lumens rating, where as
the blue bulbs as much lower, they also seem to last less as well

depends what you are after, if you want more light on the road then go
of the highest lumens rating, if you want to look like hid ish lights,
go for the blue ones.

i think tho the example on the website is very misleading, they compare
in the picture halogen bulbs with hid lights, which those bulbs
certainly arn't!

i got my bulbs for 12.99 inc delivery from
http://www.consumabulbs.com/

hope this helps

Chris

Old July 11th 05, 05:23 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"GT" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> They claim to be 40%-70% brighter. Most of them give a colour temperature
> as well - 5800k, or 6000k for example. Which is *whiter* than normal
> bulbs, but I don't know if they are brighter. They do claim to be though.

I doubt they are any brighter. In fact the tinted ones are likely to be
dimmer, as the blue filter will be blocking the light from the yellow part
of the spectrum. This is shown in the post below from Chris S. The blue
tinted ones also have a shorter life. This must be because the filtered
yellow light turns to heat, making the bulb hotter.

ss.

Old July 12th 05, 10:33 AM
GT

"Synapse Syndrome" > wrote in message

> "GT" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>> They claim to be 40%-70% brighter. Most of them give a colour temperature
>> as well - 5800k, or 6000k for example. Which is *whiter* than normal
>> bulbs, but I don't know if they are brighter. They do claim to be though.
>>

> I doubt they are any brighter. In fact the tinted ones are likely to be
> dimmer, as the blue filter will be blocking the light from the yellow part
> of the spectrum. This is shown in the post below from Chris S. The blue
> tinted ones also have a shorter life. This must be because the filtered
> yellow light turns to heat, making the bulb hotter.

I presume they burn brighter, as advertised, but for a shorter time - as not
mentioned in the advertising!
Turn the bulb down a bit and it burns less brightly, but burns for longer.
Same principal as most things really - if something goes really fast, it
doesn't last long, but slow it down or cool it down a bit and it will last
longer!

Problems with Xenon dealer? Lone Star Chinchilla BMW 1 January 23rd 05 06:40 PM
GE Nighthawk Headlight Bulbs uniseriate Driving 16 January 14th 05 01:18 AM
C-4 Cluster bulbs Jon Smith Corvette 6 October 11th 04 06:26 AM
Please visit my brand new Xenon HID Showcase Website today... WENW Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:54 AM