Problem with the windshield

Old May 19th 05, 05:02 PM
Ulf

Default Problem with the windshield

Hello,

Is there anyway you can change the direction of a crack in the
windshield? I just noticed there's one going right for the driver's
side, but I'd like to steer it down so it won't obstruct my view. I've
tried tapping on it with the head of a screw driver, but it doesn't seem
to do much good. Is there a special technique to it? My insurance
doesn't cover replacing the windshield, and as long as the crack isn't
in driver's view I won't fail the safety inspection.

Picture of if:

http://members.roadfly.com/ulf/IMG_1696.jpg

Thanks,

Ulf
Old May 19th 05, 05:08 PM
John S.

If it isn't too big then a glass shop can inject a clear adhesive to
hold the crack.

I don't know of a way to redirect a crack...and to be honest any
attempt will probably make the problem worse.

Old May 19th 05, 05:49 PM
ray

Ulf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyway you can change the direction of a crack in the
> windshield?

Just use a BFH. Then you'll have a hole instead of a crack. Easier to
see through a hole. You might have to wear a helmet with a face shield
to keep the bugs out tho.
Old May 19th 05, 06:43 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Ulf wrote:

> Is there anyway you can change the direction of a crack in the
> windshield? I just noticed there's one going right for the driver's
> side, but I'd like to steer it down so it won't obstruct my view. I've
> tried tapping on it with the head of a screw driver, but it doesn't seem
> to do much good. Is there a special technique to it? My insurance
> doesn't cover replacing the windshield, and as long as the crack isn't
> in driver's view I won't fail the safety inspection.

I recommend you put a blackout cover over the windshield. It works for
your taillights, right?
Old May 19th 05, 10:45 PM
sdlomi2

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Thu, 19 May 2005, Ulf wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway you can change the direction of a crack in the
> > windshield? I just noticed there's one going right for the driver's
> > side, but I'd like to steer it down so it won't obstruct my view. I've
> > tried tapping on it with the head of a screw driver, but it doesn't seem
> > to do much good. Is there a special technique to it? My insurance
> > doesn't cover replacing the windshield, and as long as the crack isn't
> > in driver's view I won't fail the safety inspection.

> I recommend you put a blackout cover over the windshield. It works for
> your taillights, right?

How about if he turns his head sideways & aligns the crack with the
mid-point of his nose? Should be practicaly invisible with this
configuration. s

Old May 19th 05, 10:48 PM
sdlomi2

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyway you can change the direction of a crack in the
> windshield? I just noticed there's one going right for the driver's
> side, but I'd like to steer it down so it won't obstruct my view. I've
> tried tapping on it with the head of a screw driver, but it doesn't seem
> to do much good. Is there a special technique to it? My insurance
> doesn't cover replacing the windshield, and as long as the crack isn't
> in driver's view I won't fail the safety inspection.
>
> Picture of if:
>
> http://members.roadfly.com/ulf/IMG_1696.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ulf

Usually you can find a windshield crack/star repairman who can drill the
end of the crack, fill it with a compound, and stop it from spreading.
Looks like you need both ends done. While he's at it, he can repair the
star that started it all and make the star all but invisible.
Ever heard of creeping tolerances? Where do you stop? Hope you can
find an answer in all these suggestions! s

Old May 19th 05, 11:05 PM
Ulf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005, Ulf wrote:
>

>>Is there anyway you can change the direction of a crack in the
>>windshield? I just noticed there's one going right for the driver's
>>side, but I'd like to steer it down so it won't obstruct my view. I've
>>tried tapping on it with the head of a screw driver, but it doesn't seem
>>to do much good. Is there a special technique to it? My insurance
>>doesn't cover replacing the windshield, and as long as the crack isn't
>>in driver's view I won't fail the safety inspection.

> I recommend you put a blackout cover over the windshield. It works for
> your taillights, right?

LOL. Can't believe you're still ****ed about that. You're not the world
lighting police, Daniel. Besides, my BMW, which is the car we're talking
about here, is completely complaint to all local lighting regulations,
and that's the way I intend to keep it.

Get over it. Seriously.

What does it matter if I have a crack at the bottom of the windshield
anyway. It won't obstruct or distort my vision, and it will hardly
affect the integrity of the glass either.

Ulf
Old May 20th 05, 01:26 PM
Al Bundy

There's nothing assured in the direction when dealing with a crack.
However, what I have done successfully with low cracks is to cover the
area with silicone caulk on both inside and outside if possible. Let's
say the crack started at the lower left side of the windshield and had
progressed to a point 5" from that corner. You would block off a square
about 6" around that corner and the crack hopefully would turn to the
edge and not into the viewing area.
Obviously, if the crack is already in your viewing area you are
screwed. If it's down low you might try this technique. This method
has limited applicability, but it has saved me lots of money.
Tapping on glass is NEVER the way to go unless you are attempting to
remove the glass.

Old May 20th 05, 03:02 PM
Ulf

Al Bundy wrote:
> There's nothing assured in the direction when dealing with a crack.
> However, what I have done successfully with low cracks is to cover the
> area with silicone caulk on both inside and outside if possible. Let's
> say the crack started at the lower left side of the windshield and had
> progressed to a point 5" from that corner. You would block off a square
> about 6" around that corner and the crack hopefully would turn to the
> edge and not into the viewing area.
> Obviously, if the crack is already in your viewing area you are
> screwed. If it's down low you might try this technique. This method
> has limited applicability, but it has saved me lots of money.
> Tapping on glass is NEVER the way to go unless you are attempting to
> remove the glass.

Interesting, I never thought of that, definitely worth a shot. I tried
pressing with my thumbs to get the crack to go where I wanted it, but
instead it went in the opposite direction. Hopefully this will be more
successful...

Ulf
Old May 20th 05, 11:29 PM
Al Bundy

Ulf wrote:
> Al Bundy wrote:
> > There's nothing assured in the direction when dealing with a

crack.
> > However, what I have done successfully with low cracks is to cover

the
> > area with silicone caulk on both inside and outside if possible.

Let's
> > say the crack started at the lower left side of the windshield and

had
> > progressed to a point 5" from that corner. You would block off a

square
> > about 6" around that corner and the crack hopefully would turn to

the
> > edge and not into the viewing area.
> > Obviously, if the crack is already in your viewing area you are
> > screwed. If it's down low you might try this technique. This

method
> > has limited applicability, but it has saved me lots of money.
> > Tapping on glass is NEVER the way to go unless you are attempting

> > remove the glass.
> >

> Interesting, I never thought of that, definitely worth a shot. I

tried
> pressing with my thumbs to get the crack to go where I wanted it, but

> instead it went in the opposite direction. Hopefully this will be

more
> successful...
>
> Ulf

I picture it as the silicone acting like a hand to break off the piece
at the edge. Overshoot the area a bit, at least an inch. Two inches
would be more than needed. You can always shave off the silicone later,
but I leave it on and avoid the area with aggressive ice scrapping in
winter. This process takes a while to propagate the crack so just do it
and drive till something, hopefully good, happens.