Noise from front driver's side wheel or tire when braking...

Old January 12th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default Noise from front driver's side wheel or tire when braking...

A few weeks ago my '99 SL2 started making a disturbing noise. When I am
braking to stop, I'm getting a noise that from what I can tell seems to
be coming from the front driver's side wheel or tire. It is difficult
for me to describe the sound in words: I'd like to say it's sort of a
low-pitched clicking noise, but I could also say it's sort of a "whup
whup" flapping (or rattling?) noise. (It really does sound like a click
or rattle, except those words usually describe high-pitched noises, and
this is fairly low-pitched.) The noise is definitely correlated with
the spinning of the wheel - as the car slows down the noise slows down
as well, and stops once the tires have stopped. No noticeable
shuddering or vibration associated with it.

My car was just inspected this morning and passed without needing any
work, so whatever the problem is, it wasn't something found during a VA
state inspection. I tested the shocks and they behaved normally. My
tires were rotated 3,000 miles ago and the wheels were balanced with
the purchase of new tires 15,000 miles ago. Car drives straight as an
arrow, so alignment doesn't seem to be an issue. I was inclined to
think perhaps the tire was cupping anyway, but when I examined the tire
it didn't look that way (I might have just not known what I was looking
at?). My other thought was that it might be a worn brake rotor. How
long might one expect brake rotors to hold up? I purchased the car at
about 95,000 miles and it is now at 125,000. I am unaware of any
maintenance done prior to 95,000 miles, but have not had any brake work
done since buying the car.

Any ideas?

Old January 12th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article .com>, wrote:
>A few weeks ago my '99 SL2 started making a disturbing noise. When I am
>braking to stop, I'm getting a noise that from what I can tell seems to
>be coming from the front driver's side wheel or tire. It is difficult
>for me to describe the sound in words: I'd like to say it's sort of a
>low-pitched clicking noise, but I could also say it's sort of a "whup
>whup" flapping (or rattling?) noise. (It really does sound like a click
>or rattle, except those words usually describe high-pitched noises, and
>this is fairly low-pitched.) The noise is definitely correlated with
>the spinning of the wheel - as the car slows down the noise slows down
>as well, and stops once the tires have stopped. No noticeable
>shuddering or vibration associated with it.

Does the noise occur when coasting, too, or only when the brakes are applied?

>My car was just inspected this morning and passed without needing any
>work, so whatever the problem is, it wasn't something found during a VA
>state inspection.

If a Virginia inspection isn't any more thorough than the state "inspections"
they used to do here in Indiana, that doesn't mean much. :-(

>I tested the shocks and they behaved normally. My
>tires were rotated 3,000 miles ago and the wheels were balanced with
>the purchase of new tires 15,000 miles ago. Car drives straight as an
>arrow, so alignment doesn't seem to be an issue. I was inclined to
>think perhaps the tire was cupping anyway, but when I examined the tire
>it didn't look that way (I might have just not known what I was looking
>at?).

Tire, suspension, and alignment problems are usually apparent at other times
as well.

>My other thought was that it might be a worn brake rotor. How
>long might one expect brake rotors to hold up? I purchased the car at
>about 95,000 miles and it is now at 125,000. I am unaware of any
>maintenance done prior to 95,000 miles, but have not had any brake work
>done since buying the car.
>
>Any ideas?

I think I'd be looking at the ABS sensor for that wheel first.

--
Regards,

Old January 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
madMike

I had a problem with my 95 SL1
Bear in mind I for got that I had taken an unanticipated flight off of
a berm enroute to Anapra crater in southern NM.
I swore it was a C.V. joint on the R.H side,,, but dissaaembly showed
the C.V. joint to be perfect (for a 60 K vehicle) A little further
investigation found the top motor mount on hte right side to be metal
to metal on hte back side.... remember thet isthe side it hits from
engine rotation....
I dont know if my off road escapade was the cause, or just one
factor, but a new motor mounttook care of the noise .
So check the mount on the passenger side. Facing the car with the
hood open it should be about 1/3 the distance from the fire wall to the
radiator just in from the fender. It is a hanger type mount, so changes
in engine load can cause a numbr of odd sounds from theis component,
depending on how much rubber is left between the inner and outer
brackets.

Good luck