Question About Buying Parts

Old January 3rd 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem

Default Question About Buying Parts

Will most dealers sell parts to a customer without them installing
them?.i'm trying to save some $$$.
Old January 3rd 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David Teichholtz

All dealers have a parts counter. Just walk in and buy what you want!

-David

Old January 3rd 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, teem > wrote:
>Will most dealers sell parts to a customer without them installing
>them?.i'm trying to save some $$$.

Every car dealer I've ever tried to buy parts from has been perfectly willing
to sell them to me.

--
Regards,

Old January 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_4_]

And some of the parts counter folks will even give some technical tips and
be willing to print out guides for you.
There are some replacement parts (I have it on good authority) like sensors
that are better to get from the dealer than aftermarket. When I went to
replace my mass-flow induction sensor, I was going to get aftermarket. A
friend who is a professional independant mechanic told me "no way", to get
only OEM parts. He had used aftermarket largely and found problems so always
swears by OEM dealer parts.

om...

Old January 3rd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Mark T.B. Carroll

teem > writes:

> Will most dealers sell parts to a customer without them installing
> them?.i'm trying to save some $$$.

I've never heard of any exceptions, certainly. Have you tried asking
them?

-- Mark
Old January 3rd 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

Oppie wrote:
> And some of the parts counter folks will even give some technical tips and
> be willing to print out guides for you.
> There are some replacement parts (I have it on good authority) like sensors
> that are better to get from the dealer than aftermarket. When I went to
> replace my mass-flow induction sensor, I was going to get aftermarket. A
> friend who is a professional independant mechanic told me "no way", to get
> only OEM parts. He had used aftermarket largely and found problems so always
> swears by OEM dealer parts.

I have a relative who is an independent mechanic. He sometimes gets
customers bringing him "lifetime warranty" parts to install, such as
alternators. He warns the customer that the part is a piece of crap, and
that every time it needs to be exchanged under warranty that the
customer will pay labor charges for him to take it out and reinstall the
new one. Inevitably, the customer winds up paying far more by using
non-OEM parts. I'd never buy non-OEM engine control components. Pay the
extra for OEM.
Old January 3rd 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_4_]

Then there's the catch 22 of buying something like a body control module
from a junkyard. It won't work in the new vehicle unless it is reprogrammed
(as I have heard) and the dealers are the only ones that have the machine to
do the reprograming. Many will flatly refuse to connect their Tech II to any
system with used controllers.

Old January 4th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:27:13 -0500, "Oppie" >
wrote:

>Then there's the catch 22 of buying something like a body control module
>from a junkyard. It won't work in the new vehicle unless it is reprogrammed
>(as I have heard) and the dealers are the only ones that have the machine to
>do the reprograming. Many will flatly refuse to connect their Tech II to any
>system with used controllers.
>
>"Mark T.B. Carroll" > wrote in message
>> teem > writes:
>>
>>> Will most dealers sell parts to a customer without them installing
>>> them?.i'm trying to save some $$$.

>> I've never heard of any exceptions, certainly. Have you tried asking
>> them?
>>
>> -- Mark

thanks guys,i tend to make a mountain out of a pimple.I just have
these wild thoughts of the partsman saying something like:''You know
how to do this?'',or,''This should be done by qualified personnel''.I
wnt to get those broken front end pieces on my Ion changed since the
weathers been cooperating.i was told I need 3 parts,& the one goes
from the corner of the car up,around the wheel well,if i dont need
it,I dont buy it.Thanks again.
Old January 4th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, teem > wrote:

>thanks guys,i tend to make a mountain out of a pimple.I just have
>these wild thoughts of the partsman saying something like:''You know
>how to do this?'',or,''This should be done by qualified personnel''.

In 30+ years of buying parts at dealerships, I've *never* been asked or told
anything like that.

--
Regards,

Old January 5th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David Teichholtz

"teem" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:27:13 -0500, "Oppie" >
> wrote:

<snip>

> thanks guys,i tend to make a mountain out of a pimple.I just have
> these wild thoughts of the partsman saying something like:''You know
> how to do this?'',or,''This should be done by qualified personnel''.I
> wnt to get those broken front end pieces on my Ion changed since the
> weathers been cooperating.i was told I need 3 parts,& the one goes
> from the corner of the car up,around the wheel well,if i dont need
> it,I dont buy it.Thanks again.

A tip: If you can, bring in the old part. Put it on the counter and say: "
I want one of these". They will ask a few questions and then you can match
the new one to the old one when they go in the back and bring out the new
one.