Oil

Old January 12th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob[_18_]

Default Oil

On my '96 Saturn with 187,000 miles, which uses a slight amount of
oil...but runs perfectly........

is it OK to use 10W-40 motor oil?

I was figuring with all the miles and wear on the motor....the
tolerances must have widened a bit and a slightly thinker oil might be
good......

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Bob

Old January 13th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

My two cents:

I'd not use it in cold weather though since it will take longer to get to
the valves due to the higher viscosity. I use 10W-30 in summer and 5W-30 in
winter in my son's 1996 with 140K miles where we live it gets cold usually
(this winter is the exception). I'd imagine 10W-40 would be fine for summer
in that mileage.
Bob

ups.com...

Old January 13th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 01:06:46 GMT, "Bob Shuman"
> wrote:

> I'd imagine 10W-40 would be fine for summer
>in that mileage.

No it is not. It is not a approved oil for any modern GM engine. GM
had boat loads of stuck ring problems in 80's blamed on 10w40's high
VI content cooking out in rings. Use 10w30 or 15W40 in hot weahter if
you want a thicker oil but stay far away from 10w40
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old January 13th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

On 12 Jan 2007 06:35:53 -0800, "Bob" > wrote:

>On my '96 Saturn with 187,000 miles, which uses a slight amount of
>oil...but runs perfectly........
>
>is it OK to use 10W-40 motor oil?
>
>I was figuring with all the miles and wear on the motor....the
>tolerances must have widened a bit and a slightly thinker oil might be
>good......
>
>any help would be appreciated.
>

>thanks
>Bob

imho:

Use only oil viscosities that the manufacturer recommends. Because
you assume ALL areas have worn through to safely use a heavier oil,
but there could places where the clearances are too tight to allow
proper oil flow. Also, your oil pump is designed to pump a certian
weight of oil. You could be effecting it's performance, and cooling
of internal parts.

As you can tell, I would stick with the normal viscosities.

tom @ www.mesothelioma-lawyers-list.com/