Noise from the front

Old January 9th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

Default Noise from the front

98 SL1. 175,000km.
I have a noise coming from the front. It sounds almost like I'm driving
along beside a Honda with a fart can muffler. The noise gets louder and
changes tone as the car goes faster. It doesn't seem related to engine RPMs
as I have pressed the clutch and let the RPMs drop as I coasted at highway
speed.
There is no vibration or loosness in the wheel. I checked the tires and
there is no play. Tie rod and wheel bearings seem OK. Tires don't appear to
have any broken belts.
Really hoping this isn't in the tranny, just replaced it last January.
Any ideas what to check?

Thanks.

Old January 9th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Roy wrote:
> 98 SL1. 175,000km.
> I have a noise coming from the front. It sounds almost like I'm driving
> along beside a Honda with a fart can muffler. The noise gets louder and
> changes tone as the car goes faster. It doesn't seem related to engine RPMs
> as I have pressed the clutch and let the RPMs drop as I coasted at highway
> speed.
> There is no vibration or loosness in the wheel. I checked the tires and
> there is no play. Tie rod and wheel bearings seem OK. Tires don't appear to
> have any broken belts.
> Really hoping this isn't in the tranny, just replaced it last January.
> Any ideas what to check?
>
> Thanks.

maybe this could help you:
i have an sl1, 14300 km.
recently, i had a noise in the front also, was speed related, and
appered as speed incresed.
it turned to be a resonance of the flap which hangs under the front
bumper, which was loose.
i somehow afixed ti again with a cable tie (probably a screw with a
locking nut was more in order, but had no time).
noise idsappeared.

good luck.

danielr

Old January 9th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Old January 9th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Old January 9th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Old January 9th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Old January 9th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article >, crawroy @
nbnet.nb.ca says...
> 98 SL1. 175,000km.
> I have a noise coming from the front. It sounds almost like I'm driving
> along beside a Honda with a fart can muffler. The noise gets louder and
> changes tone as the car goes faster. It doesn't seem related to engine RPMs
> as I have pressed the clutch and let the RPMs drop as I coasted at highway
> speed.
> There is no vibration or loosness in the wheel. I checked the tires and
> there is no play. Tie rod and wheel bearings seem OK. Tires don't appear to
> have any broken belts.
> Really hoping this isn't in the tranny, just replaced it last January.
> Any ideas what to check?
>
> Thanks.

My best guess...it could be your Intermediate Axle Shaft Bearing.
Old January 10th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
R Miller

Roy wrote:
> 98 SL1. 175,000km.
> I have a noise coming from the front. It sounds almost like I'm driving
> along beside a Honda with a fart can muffler. The noise gets louder and
> changes tone as the car goes faster. It doesn't seem related to engine RPMs
> as I have pressed the clutch and let the RPMs drop as I coasted at highway
> speed.
> There is no vibration or loosness in the wheel. I checked the tires and
> there is no play. Tie rod and wheel bearings seem OK. Tires don't appear to
> have any broken belts.
> Really hoping this isn't in the tranny, just replaced it last January.
> Any ideas what to check?
>
> Thanks.

For my .02 cents,it would be the resonator. Sounds exactly like a raspy
blown out muffler. It's located under the front seats and looks like a
thin inline muffler.