HX Civic 2door

Old October 12th 04, 03:31 AM
Elbert

Default HX Civic 2door

Hello,

Looking for opinions on the HX 2door Civic with
5 speed manual. I drive some 100+ miles daily
commuting and wonder what others experiences
have been who may have or currently own this
specific model.

I currently have an accord I use to for this, but
I'm looking to get something with better fuel milage.

Thanks, Elbert
----

remove the ** to email
Old October 12th 04, 04:27 PM
Mark

Elbert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking for opinions on the HX 2door Civic with
> 5 speed manual. I drive some 100+ miles daily
> commuting and wonder what others experiences
> have been who may have or currently own this
> specific model.
>
> I currently have an accord I use to for this, but
> I'm looking to get something with better fuel milage.
>
> Thanks, Elbert
> ----
>
> remove the ** to email

My brother got a '98 HX with CVT this summer with 108k miles. I drove it
on some highway trips while fixing it up for him and was impressed. I
thought it had really nice power and I got into the low 40's for mpg. If
you keep it tuned up, with the manual you should be able to do better.

Mark
Old October 12th 04, 06:59 PM

Mark > wrote:
> My brother got a '98 HX with CVT this summer with 108k miles. I drove it
> on some highway trips while fixing it up for him and was impressed. I
> thought it had really nice power and I got into the low 40's for mpg. If
> you keep it tuned up, with the manual you should be able to do better.

The CVT is such a wonderful device in my Hybrid that I would seriously
consider it for the HX. Some Civic Hybrid owners report getting better
mileage with the CVT than the 5 speed, but I think that has to do with the
odd RPM-torque needs of the Hybrid, and might not apply to the HX.

--
---

Old October 13th 04, 03:26 AM
Elbert

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:27:24 -0500, Mark > wrote:

>Elbert wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Looking for opinions on the HX 2door Civic with
>> 5 speed manual. I drive some 100+ miles daily
>> commuting and wonder what others experiences
>> have been who may have or currently own this
>> specific model.
>>
>> I currently have an accord I use to for this, but
>> I'm looking to get something with better fuel milage.
>>
>> Thanks, Elbert
>> ----
>>
>> remove the ** to email

>My brother got a '98 HX with CVT this summer with 108k miles. I drove it
>on some highway trips while fixing it up for him and was impressed. I
>thought it had really nice power and I got into the low 40's for mpg. If
>you keep it tuned up, with the manual you should be able to do better.
>
>Mark

Thanks for the iinfo, I've not made up my mind
yet to get another car, but if I do, I'm leaning towards
the HX 5 speed. My commute is mostly interstate. But since
I've paid off my accord I enjoy not having to make that payment
every month. I've not been able to find any HX civics in my area
(North Alabama), apparently the dealers don't sell that many of them.
Elbert
----

remove the ** to email
Old October 13th 04, 06:50 AM

Elbert > wrote:
> I've not heard too many people that say they like the CVT in the
> civics, but then again I've only talked to a few guys and the service
> manager of the local honda shop.

Compared to a normal automatic, it really is an improvement.
I've always thought that little four cylinder cars shouldn't come with
automatics. They suck power, and the cars just sound stupid during
acceleration from a stop. The CVT changes all of that.

With the Hybrid, the CVT keeps the engine at very low RPM, much lower than
I would be inclined to run with a stick. I presumed that this meant I
would not be getting optimum mileage if I had a five speed. I confirmed
this in conversation with a guy who had a 5 speed that was totalled, and
replaced it with a CVT. Same driving, and he was getting better mileage.
Chatting with some other Civic owners, that seems to bear out, although
only one had personal experience with CVT and 5 speed.

CVT verses 5 speed might not apply in that same fashion with the HX, but
the CVT would still be superior to a four speed auto.

--
---

Old October 13th 04, 06:32 PM

jim beam > wrote:
> wrote:

>> Compared to a normal automatic, it really is an improvement.
>> I've always thought that little four cylinder cars shouldn't come with
>> automatics. They suck power,

> that's a bold statement. you got any figures to back that up? you know
> the honda "normal" automatic is _not_ a planetary gearbox don't you?

I don't know what a planetary gearbox is.

I am comparing my 2003 Civic Hybrid to a co-worker's 2003 Civic LX-auto.
I accelerate more smoothly and quietly from a stop, at better speed under
normal conditions. We weren't drag racing, but I was driving ahead of him,
and he commented about how much faster I accelerated from a stop. If he
made that comment, I assume he was pressing on the gas more than normal. I
wasn't. Riding in his car, acceleration from stop sounds like it always
has in little four cylinder cars with automatics. I don't like that sound.
My Hybrid doesn't make that noise. I find that casual acceleration from a
stop is at about 1500 RPM, just barely fast idle, and you either "glide" or
"ooze" away from a stop.

On open road, I typically step on the gas until I get to about 3000 RPM at
20mph, and then stay at 3000 RPM until the speed gets up to where I want it
to be... 3000RPM can be well over 70mph. Then I back off the gas, and find
myself crusing at 2000RPM at 60mph.

---

Old October 14th 04, 02:31 PM
jim beam

wrote:

>>>Compared to a normal automatic, it really is an improvement.
>>>I've always thought that little four cylinder cars shouldn't come with
>>>automatics. They suck power,

>>that's a bold statement. you got any figures to back that up? you know
>>the honda "normal" automatic is _not_ a planetary gearbox don't you?

> I don't know what a planetary gearbox is.
>
> I am comparing my 2003 Civic Hybrid to a co-worker's 2003 Civic LX-auto.
> I accelerate more smoothly and quietly from a stop, at better speed under
> normal conditions. We weren't drag racing, but I was driving ahead of him,
> and he commented about how much faster I accelerated from a stop. If he
> made that comment, I assume he was pressing on the gas more than normal. I
> wasn't. Riding in his car, acceleration from stop sounds like it always
> has in little four cylinder cars with automatics. I don't like that sound.
> My Hybrid doesn't make that noise. I find that casual acceleration from a
> stop is at about 1500 RPM, just barely fast idle, and you either "glide" or
> "ooze" away from a stop.

you're talking apples & oranges. your vehicle is driven by an electric
motor - you don't have a variable ratio transmission because you don't
need it. the rpm's you're looking at are for the electric generator -
which is mechanically entirely separate from the mechanical drive - and
they stay fairly constant. why this is grounds to criticize variable
ratio transmissions is something you still have to explain.

Old October 14th 04, 07:00 PM

jim beam > wrote:

> you're talking apples & oranges. your vehicle is driven by an electric
> motor - you don't have a variable ratio transmission because you don't
> need it. the rpm's you're looking at are for the electric generator -
> which is mechanically entirely separate from the mechanical drive - and
> they stay fairly constant. why this is grounds to criticize variable
> ratio transmissions is something you still have to explain.

Three things wrong with your reply:
1- Unless you are calling a four speed a variable ratio, you are
misunderstanding my position. I favor the CVT over a normal automatic.
2- I do have a CVT: Constantly variable Transmission.
3- The electric motor is not "entirely separate from the mechanical drive".
It is tightly sandwiched between the engine and transmission and cannot
turn independently. The RPMs that I am observing are most certainly the
engine RPM. The electric motor never drives the car without the gas
engine.

<http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+Hybrid&bhcp=1>
"Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Standard "

"Specifically, the Civic Hybrid utilizes Honda's Integrated Motor Assist
(IMA) technology, which uses a 1.3-liter VTEC engine for primary power,
then an ultra-thin electric motor provides added power."

--
---

'90 Civic LX Rear Speaker Install Advice Needed WaterWatcher Honda 3 October 28th 04 07:27 AM
Honda Civic Overperformance Me Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:25 PM
1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM
1993 Civic blowing cool air but....... [email protected] Honda 1 October 3rd 04 05:14 AM
2003 Civic - SRS Computer reset after accident? stephen briand Honda 1 September 30th 04 02:51 AM