1965 Corvette Convert question

Old November 17th 04, 07:32 PM
Ron Domeracki

Default 1965 Corvette Convert question

I have a question and don't know where to turn so I figured I would ask the
infinit wisdom of the net.

I have someone who wants to trade me his 1965 Corvette Convert for my 1969
Pontiac GTO. I know what's in my car and it's pretty good. I know very
little to nothing about vettes. I like the 65 body style and am considering
the trade. Besides the obvious, what should I look for on the vette to see
that it's a good car? Brake problems, headlight problems, body
de-lamination problems??? What exactly do I look for and how do I recognize
if it's bad and how bad it is. BTW I have yet to see the vette.

Thanks in advance

Ron D.

Old November 18th 04, 06:39 PM
tranch728

"Ron Domeracki" > wrote in message
> I have a question and don't know where to turn so I figured I would ask

the
> infinit wisdom of the net.
>
> I have someone who wants to trade me his 1965 Corvette Convert for my 1969
> Pontiac GTO. I know what's in my car and it's pretty good. I know very
> little to nothing about vettes. I like the 65 body style and am

considering
> the trade. Besides the obvious, what should I look for on the vette to

see
> that it's a good car? Brake problems, headlight problems, body
> de-lamination problems??? What exactly do I look for and how do I

recognize
> if it's bad and how bad it is. BTW I have yet to see the vette.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ron D.

Be sure to crawl under the car and check the frame. Early Vettes suffer
from frame rot/rust and it can get pricey to repair.

Old January 4th 05, 01:25 AM
Michael Barnes

First, check the frame, in particular just in front of the rear wheels.
Even if the frame appears good, if the car has been sitting for any
length of time, try to get a visual of the inside, mice like to get in
the box tube and build nests, which retain water.

Unless the paint is recent, there will be some cracking from the flexing
of the fiberglass. One headlight will be faster than another, but both
should work, of course. Motor, transmission and suspension are like
everything else, but if you can, check the rear axle seals.
Mike