Scat Drag Fast shifter troubles

Old April 19th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Scat Drag Fast shifter troubles

Any of you have experience with this type and brand of shifter? I got one
last weekend to replace my Hurst shifter.
After close to an hour of trying to get it to work correctly I gave up and
pulled it out. Put the old Hurst shifter back in and it worked right the
first time.

Any advice would be appreciated, Mike

PS I have a brand new Rancho Performance swing axle tranny in the car.

Old April 19th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> Any of you have experience with this type and brand of shifter? I got one
> last weekend to replace my Hurst shifter.
> After close to an hour of trying to get it to work correctly I gave up and
> pulled it out. Put the old Hurst shifter back in and it worked right the
> first time.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated, Mike
>
> PS I have a brand new Rancho Performance swing axle tranny in the car.

i have installed a scat dragfast in nearly every vw i ever owned...never had
any trouble...just drop it in and tighten the bolts, adjust as you would any
shifter and drive....

Old April 20th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I tried that.

Could get 1st and reverse, nothing else, adjust then get 2nd and 3rd and
nothing else, adjust a bit more and get nothing.
Adjust slightly and get 2nd, adjust a bit more,lose 2nd and get 1st and
reverse again, never could get it to go into 4th.
I know it isn't rocket science but it sure is agravating!

Thanks, Mike

Old April 21st 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
>I tried that.
>
> Could get 1st and reverse, nothing else, adjust then get 2nd and 3rd and
> nothing else, adjust a bit more and get nothing.
> Adjust slightly and get 2nd, adjust a bit more,lose 2nd and get 1st and
> reverse again, never could get it to go into 4th.
> I know it isn't rocket science but it sure is agravating!
>
> Thanks, Mike

if you can get first and third you are golden...and given the very short
throw of the scat, it is very little movement of the shifter...are you sure
you aren't getting all gears? since a little movement at the T makes alot of
movement at the shift rod, i've never had a problem with a scat
dragfast....what condition is your shift coupler and shift rod bushing in>?

Old April 23rd 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Joey,

You hit the nail on the head! I just pulled the Hurst stick out and there
isn't a shift bushing at all!!!
Know what I'll be doing on Monday. I've changed one out many years ago on
another bug and it isn't much fun.

Thanks for the help.

Old April 23rd 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> Joey,
>
> You hit the nail on the head! I just pulled the Hurst stick out and there
> isn't a shift bushing at all!!!
> Know what I'll be doing on Monday. I've changed one out many years ago on
> another bug and it isn't much fun.
>
> Thanks for the help.

when you are done, you can swing by and put the bushing in my Karmann
Ghia...i have the bushing but not the time...LOL....