Aircon Smell

Old August 17th 04, 10:14 PM
Pete

Default Aircon Smell

"Dude" > wrote in message
> Hi
> When I use my aircon on my 2000 A4 I get a slight "Vinegar" smell for
> the first 2/3 mins, any ideas what this is, and how to stop it, Many
> thanks.

Replace your cabin pollen filter, and while you have the filter off,
spray some antifungal solution into the intake as you probably have mold
growing in there.

Cheers,

Pete

Old August 17th 04, 10:22 PM
Jesper Giovanni

In ,
Pete > typed:
> Replace your cabin pollen filter, and while you have the filter off,
> spray some antifungal solution into the intake as you probably have
> mold growing in there.

A q: How do i get to the filter on my A4 1.8T ´97.5?
I too have a slight "funny" odor when i start up my ac after its been off
overnight.
Its not critical yet - but i would love to avoid being able to harvest
mushrooms later on ;o)

--
Gio

Old August 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Pete

"Jesper Giovanni" wrote

> A q: How do i get to the filter on my A4 1.8T ´97.5?

Courtesy of Andy Hedin from AudiWorld:
http://members.aol.com/ajhedin/A4/Pollen_Filter.pdf

Cheers,

Pete

Old August 18th 04, 04:30 AM
MrTwei

"Dude" > wrote in message
> Hi
> When I use my aircon on my 2000 A4 I get a slight "Vinegar" smell for
> the first 2/3 mins, any ideas what this is, and how to stop it, Many
> thanks.

I had the same on my 2003 A4 (though it was more cheesey than vinegar -
though that's subjective). I mentioned this when it was in for service
(last month) and it cost ~£100 to put right. Apparently the aircon needed a
full service and re-gas (already!!?) and some sort of spray needed to be
applied at the same time.

I wasn't too pleased on splashing out this much, as the A4 is so new. But
that's what the main dealer wanted and last time I pressed them on a problem
the manager got quite aggressive. :-(

(The next car in my future will not be an Audi unfortunately)

Old August 18th 04, 05:10 AM
RubEric

The airconditioning smell - the behind the refrigerator smell - is common to
many cars. It happens because water or moisture is retained in the intersticial
spaces of the evaporator. When you park the car, the moisture remains, the
plenum chamber gets warm, and it is already dark - perfect conditions for
growing the mold you smell.
All the other advice here applies but a preventative measure is to not put the
car away wet. Switch off the a/c a few minutes before shutting down and run
the blower on high to blow out the moisture. If the evaporator is dry, the mold
doesn't grow.
Old August 18th 04, 05:01 PM

Yes, This is not an Audi phenominon. When you live in the South US, like
in Florida, Georgia, etc - the practice of shutting off the AC a little
early and running the blower on high is SOP.
I had this problem occur in a Volvo I brought South and later in an
Explorer.
I would bet with the Global Warming this problem is going to be occurring in
wider geography.

"RubEric" > wrote in message
> The airconditioning smell - the behind the refrigerator smell - is common

> many cars. It happens because water or moisture is retained in the

intersticial
> spaces of the evaporator. When you park the car, the moisture remains, the
> plenum chamber gets warm, and it is already dark - perfect conditions for
> growing the mold you smell.
> All the other advice here applies but a preventative measure is to not put

the
> car away wet. Switch off the a/c a few minutes before shutting down and

run
> the blower on high to blow out the moisture. If the evaporator is dry, the

mold
> doesn't grow.

156 aircon condenser leak mickt Alfa Romeo 0 September 26th 04 09:09 PM
Burning oil smell cp Audi 14 June 1st 04 02:51 PM
A4 Aircon smels on startup Monkeys Audi 8 May 26th 04 09:59 PM
156 - Strong petrol smell after filling up MG Alfa Romeo 0 May 11th 04 11:55 AM