2001 A6 got wet... advise? experiences?

Old August 7th 04, 07:09 PM
Gilbert M. Kowie

Default 2001 A6 got wet... advise? experiences?

Hi all,

My 2001 A6 2.8 Quattro got wet last weekend because of the heavy storm
(Philadelphia, PA). It took in water, about 1 foot high, up to the
level of the power seat switches. All the electronics are screwed up,
the engine won't start, etc, etc, etc.

Insurance company flips flops. One day they say they'll total it, and
just yesterday they insisted on getting it fixed instead. The Audi
dealer said they'll fix all the electronics and wiring and replace them,
then it'll get sent to a bodyshop to do non-electronics stuff.

Has any of you had first-hand experience with this? Is this something
to worry about? i.e., once they replace and fix all these things, is
the car going to be fine? Or should I insist on getting it totaled -
and if they won't, should I look to get rid of the car the minute after
it got repaired?

Thanks for any help.

Gil.

Old August 7th 04, 11:17 PM
TJSCANLON

Gilbert,

I had a real similiar experience with my 2001 A6 2.7T. My wife drove into a
deep puddle or pool during heavy rainstorm - water came up over the hood as she
was driving through. It wasn't that deep, but it was deep enough with waves
from a previous car. No water got inside the car and she was able to drive
out. However, water was sucked into the engine and it hydrolocked. The
contract insurance inspector/adjuster recomended that the car be total and at
first that was what the insurance company was going to do. However, they then
insisted on putting a used engine in. I strongly questioned this as it did not
address the potential water in the electronics and the corrosion it may cause
down the road. They agreed to put a year warranty on the car (it was out of
the factory warranty due to mileage). After finding an engine and installing
it. I brought it back for leaks almost non-stop. Over a threee month period
from the accident - I probably had the car in my possesion for 12 days. Then
after most leaks fixed, I started having unusual engine management issues that
was narrowed down to wiring harness. At this point, I said enough is enough
and I insisted the car be totaled. It finally was. Then I had to negotiate a
fair settlement. It was a mess and ordeal that I don't wish on anyone. In the
end I was able to negotiate a fair price and replace the car. It would have
been a lot easier and more economical if they had done this upfront. I would
strongly fight this if you got water in the car. Especially if you are already
having electrical problems. At the very least I think you should insist on an
extended warranty to cover you for the potential of future corrosion. Good
luck and I hope you come out ok with this whatever happens.
Tom Scanlon
Account Executive
Toshiba America Medical Systems
Mpls., MN
Old August 8th 04, 02:54 AM
David

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I managed to stay dry here in Moorestown.
I'm leery of the longterm effects of water getting into the body panels and
electronics. Once the insurance company gives you the car back and you sign
the settlement, they can wash their hands and you are stuck with any
problems that crop up 2-3 years later.

Good luck and let us know what the final outcome is.
wsgroups.com...

Old August 8th 04, 10:10 AM
Pete

"Gilbert M. Kowie" wrote

> Has any of you had first-hand experience with this? Is this something
> to worry about? i.e., once they replace and fix all these things, is
> the car going to be fine? Or should I insist on getting it totaled -

Save yourself a lot of grief and insist on having it totalled. You'll
be plagued by electronics/electrics gremlins a lot. As it is, Audi has
a lot of electronics that like to break on their own and once water gets
in, it's just going to make it that much worse.

A friend's Golf got flooded on the streets of DC a few years back.
First, it took forever for the dealer to fix it all. And then it was
never running right. Major problems with the tranny and some with the
engine. Once a flood, always a flood.

Good luck with getting it totalled.

Cheers,

Pete

Old September 5th 04, 04:19 AM
Rusty NAilz

Got a match?

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Gilbert M. Kowie" wrote
>
> > Has any of you had first-hand experience with this? Is this something
> > to worry about? i.e., once they replace and fix all these things, is
> > the car going to be fine? Or should I insist on getting it totaled -

> Save yourself a lot of grief and insist on having it totalled. You'll
> be plagued by electronics/electrics gremlins a lot. As it is, Audi has
> a lot of electronics that like to break on their own and once water gets
> in, it's just going to make it that much worse.
>
> A friend's Golf got flooded on the streets of DC a few years back.
> First, it took forever for the dealer to fix it all. And then it was
> never running right. Major problems with the tranny and some with the
> engine. Once a flood, always a flood.
>
> Good luck with getting it totalled.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

2001 alfa 147 - whats it worth? SS Alfa Romeo 7 September 3rd 04 10:14 PM
2001 Audi A6...Buying Advice Z Audi 2 July 16th 04 04:04 PM
Looking to buy - 2001 S4 - Is this a good deal? GMan Audi 0 June 26th 04 02:04 AM
2001 Audi TT Quattro FOR SALE Gary Audi 0 June 14th 04 03:46 PM
Xenon headlights - 2001 vs. 2004 Audi Gilbert M. Kowie Audi 1 June 1st 04 05:33 PM