missing wheel nut adaptors

Old October 16th 04, 11:39 AM
John Brunt

Default missing wheel nut adaptors

I purchased a brand new Alfa 147 jtd lusso 14 months ago. Last weekend my
boyfriend said I could do with the wheels rotating as the fronts are now
worn.

Upon lifting the carpet in the hatch (for the first time)and getting the
jack out he noticed that there was no security wheel nut bolts.....so we
cant even change a wheel in the event of a puncture.

I contacted the dealer who said he would get back to either myself or my
boyfriend....he didn't.

They have now sent me a letter stating that they have spoken with Lythgoe
Alfa Romeo dealership and they have advised that this tool cannot be
supplied to me free of charge as the vehicle was sold approximately fourteen
months ago, in which time an issue like this would have been noticed earlier
by the owner.

As the owner, I can assure them that I did not notice it was missing until I
needed it.

I have been advised that it may not even be as simple as obtaining the
missing tool, I may have to have the existing nuts broken off and new ones
fitted for which the dealer I purchased my car from feels I am laible for.
I find it amazing that you can pay £17,000 for a car and not have the tools
necessary to remove the wheels.

Could you please give me any advice on this problem.

Mandy Edwards.

Old October 16th 04, 11:57 AM
Paul Woodsford

I would suggest that it is the dealers duty to prove this tool was supplied.
When I bought my 147 the dealer told me that the security nuts/adapter are
not factory fitted but fitted by the importer/dealer. Therefore it should
included on the paperwork. I f not, and they still refuse to playball take
advice from the Trading Standards and threaten them with the Small Claims
Court.
Proof that these tools are fitted as a secondary item is that they are not
included in the Alfa toolkit stored within the spare wheel.

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.
"John Brunt" > wrote in message
>I purchased a brand new Alfa 147 jtd lusso 14 months ago. Last weekend my
>boyfriend said I could do with the wheels rotating as the fronts are now
>worn.
>
> Upon lifting the carpet in the hatch (for the first time)and getting the
> jack out he noticed that there was no security wheel nut bolts.....so we
> cant even change a wheel in the event of a puncture.
>
> I contacted the dealer who said he would get back to either myself or my
> boyfriend....he didn't.
>
> They have now sent me a letter stating that they have spoken with Lythgoe
> Alfa Romeo dealership and they have advised that this tool cannot be
> supplied to me free of charge as the vehicle was sold approximately
> fourteen months ago, in which time an issue like this would have been
> noticed earlier by the owner.
>
> As the owner, I can assure them that I did not notice it was missing until
> I needed it.
>
> I have been advised that it may not even be as simple as obtaining the
> missing tool, I may have to have the existing nuts broken off and new ones
> fitted for which the dealer I purchased my car from feels I am laible for.
> I find it amazing that you can pay £17,000 for a car and not have the
> tools necessary to remove the wheels.
>
> Could you please give me any advice on this problem.
>

> Mandy Edwards.

---

Old October 16th 04, 03:53 PM
Max Reheat

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:39:48 GMT, "John Brunt" >
selected combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:

>I have been advised that it may not even be as simple as obtaining the
>missing tool, I may have to have the existing nuts broken off and new ones
>fitted for which the dealer I purchased my car from feels I am laible for.
>I find it amazing that you can pay £17,000 for a car and not have the tools
>necessary to remove the wheels.
>
>Could you please give me any advice on this problem.

Firstly, IMHO, FIAT/Lancia/Alfa lock nuts are rubbish. I had problems
on my Lancia where the key was such a loose fit, in cold weather it
just slipped round. I therefore recommend the fitting of third party
wheel locks such as those supplied by Halfords. I bought a set of
Halfords locknuts months before I got my 156.

I'll (try to) e-mail you the easy method for undoing FIAT/Lancia/Alfa
existing locks.

--
Max Reheat () - deselect Part Throttle Reheat to reply.

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Selespeed Veloce
Lancia Dedra 1.8i.e.SE
Old October 17th 04, 09:24 PM

Max Reheat > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:39:48 GMT, "John Brunt" >
> selected combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:
>
> >I have been advised that it may not even be as simple as obtaining the
> >missing tool, I may have to have the existing nuts broken off and new ones
> >fitted for which the dealer I purchased my car from feels I am laible for.
> >I find it amazing that you can pay £17,000 for a car and not have the tools
> >necessary to remove the wheels.
> >
> >Could you please give me any advice on this problem.
> >

> Firstly, IMHO, FIAT/Lancia/Alfa lock nuts are rubbish. I had problems
> on my Lancia where the key was such a loose fit, in cold weather it
> just slipped round. I therefore recommend the fitting of third party
> wheel locks such as those supplied by Halfords. I bought a set of
> Halfords locknuts months before I got my 156.
>
> I'll (try to) e-mail you the easy method for undoing FIAT/Lancia/Alfa
> existing locks.

Funny, I fitted a set of Alfa locking wheel bolts to my 147 and they
tighten and slacken off perfectly. I bought them from the dealer in
Glasgow [Reg Vardy, I think]. They cost me £11. Afterwards, I checked
out a set at Halfords and they wanted something like £22/£25, you have
to be carefull with Halfords as they work on a 70% mark up on most of
their stock.
John, UK.
Old October 18th 04, 07:43 PM
John Chapman

"John Brunt" > wrote in message

> I find it amazing that you can pay £17,000 for a car and not have the

tools
> necessary to remove the wheels.
>
> Could you please give me any advice on this problem.
>

> Mandy Edwards.
>
> When I bought my 146 new the dealer made a point of showing me the wheel

bolt adapters and the method of using them to be able to change a wheel.
This was useful advice as I had never previously had dealings with alloy
wheels and needed to know this. The dealer also confirmed that they had
fitted the bolts themselves and showed me where they had placed the adapters
in their box next to the spare wheel. They are separate from the Alfa jack
used to raise the car.
Clearly your dealer failed to do this for you.
Your story would make an excellent local newspaper story and it would do the
dealer no harm to be threatened with this approach if they refuse to help
you.

John Chapman

Old October 18th 04, 07:53 PM
Max Reheat

On 17 Oct 2004 13:24:23 -0700, selected combat
throttle and flew into a dogfight with:

>Max Reheat > wrote in message >. ..
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:39:48 GMT, "John Brunt" >
>> selected combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:
>>
>> >I have been advised that it may not even be as simple as obtaining the
>> >missing tool, I may have to have the existing nuts broken off and new ones
>> >fitted for which the dealer I purchased my car from feels I am laible for.
>> >I find it amazing that you can pay £17,000 for a car and not have the tools
>> >necessary to remove the wheels.
>> >
>> >Could you please give me any advice on this problem.
>> >

>> Firstly, IMHO, FIAT/Lancia/Alfa lock nuts are rubbish. I had problems
>> on my Lancia where the key was such a loose fit, in cold weather it
>> just slipped round. I therefore recommend the fitting of third party
>> wheel locks such as those supplied by Halfords. I bought a set of
>> Halfords locknuts months before I got my 156.
>>
>> I'll (try to) e-mail you the easy method for undoing FIAT/Lancia/Alfa
>> existing locks.

>Funny, I fitted a set of Alfa locking wheel bolts to my 147 and they
>tighten and slacken off perfectly. I bought them from the dealer in
>Glasgow [Reg Vardy, I think]. They cost me £11. Afterwards, I checked
>out a set at Halfords and they wanted something like £22/£25, you have
>to be carefull with Halfords as they work on a 70% mark up on most of
>their stock.
>John, UK.

First note that my opinion refers solely to the FIAT/Lancia/Alfa locks
supplied to fit my Lancia and supplied already fitted to my Alfa 156.

I don't have a problem with you being happy with your purchase. I
base my opinion on two things, both to do with the performance of the
wheel locks I had, rather than the cost:

1) The poor tolerances of the nut and the key meant that, at low
temperatures, the key simply slipped round the head of the nut,
preventing the wheel being removed when *I* wanted it removed.

2) Seeing how easily the dealer removed the locks *without* the key.
It's clear that any tea leaf could remove the wheels with ease without
recourse to the key.

Basically, these locks provide next to no security, only inconvenience
to the owner and a *false* sense of security.

On the subject of mark-ups - do you believe your dealer doesn't have a
mark-up? I wouldn't be surprised if it were 100% or more. You've got
a set of GBP5.50 locks that will perform like, well, a set of GBP5.50
locks ...

Yours cynically

Old October 20th 04, 07:35 PM
John Brunt

Well yes I took them off on sunday....easy as pie....these locking nuts must
be a thiefs dream....followed max reheats advice and he was spot on.....so
easy to hammer a slightly oversize socket on to them 5/8th i think and they
came off like they were tightened on originally by a baby.
Will continue to hassle for replacement as a matter of principle.....no
matter what it costs......have temporarily put them back on as they are so
easy to manipulate....not too tight of course!.......
I give customer service to the best of my ability in my job....because they
pay my wages....Alfa have taken my money and WILL give me the same.
Watch this space!!

Old October 20th 04, 10:21 PM

Max Reheat > wrote in message >. ..
> On 17 Oct 2004 13:24:23 -0700, selected combat
> throttle and flew into a dogfight with:
>
> >Max Reheat > wrote in message >. ..
> >> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:39:48 GMT, "John Brunt" >
> >> selected combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:

> >> Firstly, IMHO, FIAT/Lancia/Alfa lock nuts are rubbish. I had problems
> >> on my Lancia where the key was such a loose fit, in cold weather it
> >> just slipped round. I therefore recommend the fitting of third party
> >> wheel locks such as those supplied by Halfords. I bought a set of
> >> Halfords locknuts months before I got my 156.
> >>
> >> I'll (try to) e-mail you the easy method for undoing FIAT/Lancia/Alfa
> >> existing locks.

> >Funny, I fitted a set of Alfa locking wheel bolts to my 147 and they
> >tighten and slacken off perfectly. I bought them from the dealer in
> >Glasgow [Reg Vardy, I think]. They cost me £11. Afterwards, I checked
> >out a set at Halfords and they wanted something like £22/£25, you have
> >to be carefull with Halfords as they work on a 70% mark up on most of
> >their stock.
> >John, UK.

> First note that my opinion refers solely to the FIAT/Lancia/Alfa locks
> supplied to fit my Lancia and supplied already fitted to my Alfa 156.
>
> I don't have a problem with you being happy with your purchase. I
> base my opinion on two things, both to do with the performance of the
> wheel locks I had, rather than the cost:
>
> 1) The poor tolerances of the nut and the key meant that, at low
> temperatures, the key simply slipped round the head of the nut,
> preventing the wheel being removed when *I* wanted it removed.

Hi Max,
I checked my wheel bolts all at Low temperatures and they work fine.
If they had not, I would be throwing them back at the dealer.

> 2) Seeing how easily the dealer removed the locks *without* the key.
> It's clear that any tea leaf could remove the wheels with ease without
> recourse to the key.
> Basically, these locks provide next to no security, only inconvenience
> to the owner and a *false* sense of security.

I agree totaly with you.
A friend of mine got over this problem by fitting 2 different types of
bolts to each wheel, mind you his wheels cost a fortune.

> On the subject of mark-ups - do you believe your dealer doesn't have a
> mark-up? I wouldn't be surprised if it were 100% or more. You've got
> a set of GBP5.50 locks that will perform like, well, a set of GBP5.50
> locks ...
>
> I do believe the dealer has his mark-up and even if it were 100% costing £5.50.

Doesn't that mean Halfords are ripping people off to a far greater
extent?

John,UK