T1 fuel injected engines vs T1 carbureted engines

Old March 2nd 05, 01:56 PM
Jens

Default T1 fuel injected engines vs T1 carbureted engines

I have just bought a 1975 1303S (Super Beetle) in Sweden and it has a
1600 carbureted engine (type AS). In 1975 all Beetles sold in the US
had Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection, and when looking at replacement
engines it appears that the long blocks are different for carbureted
and fuel injected engines. Does anybody know what the difference is? I
am curious since I intend to replace the carburetor with the
L-Jetronic.

Thanks,

Jens.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:48 PM
John Connolly

the 3/4 cylinder head has the threaded boss for the head temp sensor the FI
needs. The shroud and sheetmetal is also different, to accomodate the
injector hose location. The intake and breather system are also totally
different, but you can bolt them onto a longblock, the main issue is the
head temp boss

John
Aircooled.Net inc.

--
Please allow up to 48 hours for a representative of Aircooled.Net to respond
to your email inquiry. If you have not received a response in over 72 hours
oups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 04:26 PM
Speedy Jim

Jens wrote:
> I have just bought a 1975 1303S (Super Beetle) in Sweden and it has a
> 1600 carbureted engine (type AS). In 1975 all Beetles sold in the US
> had Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection, and when looking at replacement
> engines it appears that the long blocks are different for carbureted
> and fuel injected engines. Does anybody know what the difference is? I
> am curious since I intend to replace the carburetor with the
> L-Jetronic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jens.

Major difference is the heads. Valve sizes are different and there is
provision for the head temp sensor.

Outfitting an engine for FI will be very expensive.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 2nd 05, 06:24 PM
Jens

Are the valves larger or smaller with FI? What are the diameters?

Jens.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:24 PM
Raymond Lowe

FI exhaust valves were 30 or 30.5mm.

I had a FI 1600 rebuilt once by a local shop back in '87(shoddy job, BTW).
They used stock heads (35.5IN/32EX) and what I assume was a stock cam. That
thing ran like a POS! I finally stripped off the FI components and went to
carbs. You can't win with a "Frankenstein" motor.

Transferring FI components to a non-FI engine is a waste of time IMO. You'll
be much happier with the results if you fine-tune a stock carb setup and
proper ignition. Spend your dollars there.

RT
--
E-mail=fullname-at-telus.net

ups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
Speedy Jim

Jens wrote:
> Are the valves larger or smaller with FI? What are the diameters?
>
> Jens.

They made the exh valves smaller (30mm vs 32mm for carb) and the
exh valve stems bigger (9mm vs 8mm for carb). This was to
increase the heat transfer and keep exh valves from failing
at the higher running temps.

I agree with Raymond; adapting a carb engine to FI
is probably a waste of time (and money).

If you are interested in experimenting with FI,
consider joining ShopTalk forum:
http://shoptalkforums.com/index.php
One forum is just for FI folk (or is that "volk").

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 3rd 05, 03:22 AM
Peter

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> They made the exh valves smaller (30mm vs 32mm for carb) and the
> exh valve stems bigger (9mm vs 8mm for carb). This was to
> increase the heat transfer and keep exh valves from failing
> at the higher running temps.

The carb engine eventually followed the FI, with regard to valve sizes.
Early in the 75 model year VW change the exhaust valve (on the AS & AF) to
30mm. These engines then suffered badly from over-heating (just like the
original aftermarket 041)so, by the start of the 77 model they reduced the
intake to 33mm. Since then all replacement heads whether for AJ, AS, AF, AE
etc come with 33/30 heads. The 9mm exhaust stem, I understand, was to
reduce valve guide wear by increasing the surface area to load ratio.