I need a better winter car...

Old March 2nd 05, 02:35 AM
Max

Heh... My Saab, I can drive through snowbanks taller than the car and
have no problem on bald summer performance tires... you know before
Bombardier and the Ski-Doo, people drove Saab 93's instead...

--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old March 2nd 05, 02:42 AM
Ulf

Dave C. wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
>>but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
>>of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
>>windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck...

> :-(
>
> In snow, momentum is your friend. You don't need a better car. Just turn
> the wipers on high before you hit a drift, pay attention to the road beyond
> the drift and keep moving. -Dave

Yeah, but it takes several seconds before the vipers get enough snow off
the windshield so that I can see. Just look at the third and fourth
picture. Another problem is that the car pulls in the direction the snow
is deepest. I both these cases that was to the right, as you can see on
the pictures. So if I were to keep going I might actually end up in the
ditch, and I'd rather get stuck on the road than off the road...

Ulf
Old March 2nd 05, 02:47 AM
Ulf

Cartlon Shew wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:46:08 GMT, Ulf > wrote:
>

>>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
>>but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
>>of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
>>windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck... :-(
>>
>>First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>>
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
>>

> You look like your on the shoulder in those

Nope.

>>Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>>
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
>>
>>Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.

> No, this time you're definitely *OFF* the road.

Again, no. All four wheels were on the (icy) asphalt. I know, I was there.

>>I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
>>getting stuck. :-)

> Why not move where it doesn't ****ing snow so bloody much?

I actually doesn't snow that much here, but when it rains, it pours...

>>Ulf

Ulf
Old March 2nd 05, 02:50 AM
Ulf

John Burns wrote:
>>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
>>but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
>>of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
>>windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck... :-(

> Wow! And I thought my E30 saw serious snow in the winter! I'm assuming
> your on snow tyres. Time for a 325iX I think ;-)

Yeah, but I'm looking to upgrade to an E34. I like the styling better,
plus, it's a bigger car. Of course, the downside is that it's probably
not as fun to drive as an E30.

>>I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
>>getting stuck. :-)

> My techie runs a '93 525iX touring with snow tyres, little stops it :-)

I'm sure there must be something. :-)

Ulf
Old March 2nd 05, 03:55 AM
Somebody

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
> but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
> of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck...

:-(

> First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
>
> Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
>
> Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.
>
> I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
> getting stuck. :-)

Once I was a passenger in the iX that I eventually bought, and the test
driver put it backwards into a ditch. It was very wide, about 3 feet deep,
but completely covered with snow. We were in at an angle, one front was
sort of near the road surface, the back was deep in the drift. The car was
tilted at a crazy angle. She was freaking out. "put it in gear and drive
it out" I said. "No way" she said.

She did it. Sure enough, the thing drove right out. Left a giant hole in
the bank that was visible for weeks.

After owning it for 4 years, I've never met anything my iX couldn't handle.
As long as you don't hang the undercarriage up on something so bad that the
wheels are off the ground, it's so surefooted it's spooky. I use proper
snow tires of course. The main problem I have is snow packig into the brake
ducts and knocking them loose.

http://www.russdoucet.com/bimmertech/ix-winter/iX(006).jpg

I don't have any action shots, if I get a chance I'll take some next big
snowstorm. :-)

-Russ.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:59 AM
Somebody

"Bradburn Fentress" > wrote in message

> "Snow" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "> Ah.. I love Jeep mentality "a ****ty peice of ****" nice!!!... Thats
> >> why Rovers are always pulling them out....Your JeeP is not the best
> >> offroader out there so how about you sit back and have a nice cup of
> >> "shut the f@$k up".

> > Never seen any Land Rovers around here. But I have pulled many of
> > European crap out of ditches, pulled even more Asian riced crap out.
> > Advantages of driving for a towing service :P... oh and yes pulled a

few
> > JeePs out too.

> Like almost anything to do with stuck cars, it generally has little
> importance what they are driving.....bad drivers can get stuck in almost

any
> car they drive, and good drivers can manage to move safely no matter how
> difficult the vehicle they seem to be piloting.

Evidenced by me today passing everyone in the ditch in my rental -- worst
peice of crap I ever drove in the winter. It's a Sebring with worn all
seasons, no ABS, no traction control, no balance, no visibility, fogging
windows, no feedback, sheesh. I could barely navigate the dang thing around
town much less on snow-covered highways. But somehow I stayed between the
lines.

On days like those, I've kept count of what types of cars are populating the
ditches, and given up. Everything from rice rockets to Euro sedans to SUVs
to pickup trucks. No patterns have been observable from my seat.

-Russ.

Old March 2nd 05, 05:26 AM
Somebody

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:46:08 GMT, Ulf > wrote:
>
> >My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
> >but I get stuck everywhere!

> Next time, try the bus.
>
> >Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
> >of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
> >windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck...

:-(

> >First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
> >
> >http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
> >http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
> >
> >Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
> >
> >http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
> >http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg

> What, did that snowdrift jump out in front of you?
>
> You DROVE IT INTO that snowdrift. And WTF are you doing driving around
> on unplowed country roads? Just so you could take these silly
> pictures, I'll wager...

Why not? I do it all the time. Not for pictures though, just for kicks.

-Russ.
1988 iX

Old March 2nd 05, 01:44 PM

Yea, How cool is that, never seen that white stuff myself....and you guys
get to test your 4WD's in it :-)
Currently 35C here today...a bad winter goes to around 5C (and we call that
"freezing" :-) )

If we had snow like that I'd find a) a good woman, b) pron c) a book & sit
by a fire & drink rum.
OH&S must have rules about people getting to work in that stuff?

Cool pics anyhow.

> I'm curious - where have you got that kind of snow conditions? We barely
> have any snow here nowaways. Here being Norway. :-/

> Wenn im Zweifel, Volleistung! DoD#2101

, '90 BMW 318i When in doubt - floor it!

Old March 2nd 05, 02:45 PM
spare-me-spam

"Ulf" > wrote in message
| The Malt Hound wrote:
| > "Ulf" > wrote in message
| >
| >>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles
| >>great, but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within
| >>a couple of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes
| >>flying onto the windshield. I brake because I can't see anything,
| >>and then I'm stuck... :-(
| >>
| >>First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
| >>
| >>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
| >>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
| >>
| >>Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
| >>
| >>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
| >>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
| >>
| >>Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.
| >>
| >>I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
| >>getting stuck. :-)
| >

| > This is a joke right?
| >
| > You don't look like your "on the road" to me. Looks like you drove
| > into the snowbank.
|
| Well, the "snowbank" was *on* the road. :-)
|
| Here are two more pictures. In the first I'm parked *off* the road
while
| taking the picture. This is also before I got stuck as you can see by
| the front only being covered by road grime and not snow.
|
| In the second picture, compare how much of the amber sticks, marking
the
| edges of the road, is viable on the right vs. the left side of the
road.
| I'd estimate that it's between two and three feet of snow *on* the
road
| on the right side. I'm standing pretty much in the middle of the road
in
| this picture too.
|
| http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw5.jpg (original size)
| http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw6.JPG
|

| > Also, do you have snow tires on the thing (can't tell)
|
| Yup, studded snow tires.
|

| > -Fred W
| >

| Ulf

Look, if that snowbank WAS on the road, timing, not sedan version, is
your problem.

If you NEED to drive when the snow on the road is higher than your
bumper, how much imagination does it take to realize that it's ground
clearance you need, and not the inch or so difference between e30, e34,
or ix variants.

Once you manage to use the snow as a ramp, and take the weight off the
wheels, it wont much matter how many of them are spinning, or if it has
tires or paddlewheels on it.

There is a reason that plows are pushed by the type of machinery that
pushes them. The common denominator is ground clearance.

BMW's are lousy submarines, too. Let me save you the trouble of test
diving various models.