A6 tires- 1 blown

Old February 2nd 08, 08:30 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ken K

Default A6 tires- 1 blown

Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference between
a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we do have
snow and rain regularly.
Is this true?
If so are there any good tires that don't cost $800?
Thanks, Ken

Old February 2nd 08, 10:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve68s

"Ken K" > wrote in message
. ..
> Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
> tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
> said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
> drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference

between
> a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we do

have
> snow and rain regularly.
> Is this true?
> If so are there any good tires that don't cost $800?
> Thanks, Ken

There bull****ting you, go somwhere else,

Steve.D

Old February 2nd 08, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Closure

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:20:05 -0000, "Steve68s"
> wrote:

>"Ken K" > wrote in message
>> Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
>> tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
>> said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
>> drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference

>between
>> a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we do

>have
>> snow and rain regularly.
>> Is this true?
>> If so are there any good tires that don't cost $800?
>> Thanks, Ken
>>

>There bull****ting you, go somwhere else,
>
>Steve.D

Costco is the best place to buy tires IMO. They carry Michelins and
some others. A nice set of Michelins for my A6 was around $500 total,
installed - road hazard, free balancing & rotation for life and free
nitrogen top offs all included.
Old February 2nd 08, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_2_]

Closure wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:20:05 -0000, "Steve68s"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Ken K" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>> Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
>>> tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
>>> said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
>>> drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference
>>>

>> between
>>
>>> a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we do
>>>

>> have
>>
>>> snow and rain regularly.
>>> Is this true?
>>> If so are there any good tires that don't cost $800?
>>> Thanks, Ken
>>>

>> There bull****ting you, go somwhere else,
>>
>> Steve.D
>>

> Costco is the best place to buy tires IMO. They carry Michelins and
> some others. A nice set of Michelins for my A6 was around $500 total,
> installed - road hazard, free balancing & rotation for life and free
> nitrogen top offs all included.

In a similar situation I was told that the maximum difference in tread
depth between tire is 3/32 for quattro. You are on the edge but would
probably be OK.

Kuhmo Ecsta SPT are inexpensive tires with a good reputation.
Old February 3rd 08, 10:49 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"Ken K" > wrote in message
. ..
> Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
> tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
> said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
> drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference
> between a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where
> we do have snow and rain regularly.
> Is this true?
> If so are there any good tires that don't cost $800?
> Thanks, Ken

or could it be 1/8"..............no its definitely 4/32"

Old February 4th 08, 10:19 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_25_]

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:30:35 -0500, "Ken K" >
wrote:

>Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
>tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
>said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
>drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference between
>a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we do have
>snow and rain regularly.
>Is this true?

No. However I would recommend getting the same brand/model of tyre
for the one you replace.

Mark.
Old February 4th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Feb 2, 3:30 pm, "Ken K" > wrote:
> Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set of
> tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on. They
> said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all wheel
> drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference between
> a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we do have
> snow and rain regularly.
> Is this true?
> If so are there any good tires that don't cost $800?
> Thanks, Ken

The owners manual for my car specifies no more than a 10% difference
in tread depth for tires on the same axle, and that tires should be
replaced in pairs (i.e., 2 tires on the same axle).

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA
Old February 4th 08, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
beatbox

Mark;59856 Wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:30:35 -0500, "Ken K" >
> wrote:
>
> >Last night I hit a pothole and blew a tire on my 03 A6 2.7T. The set

> of
> >tires is relatively new but the tire store would not put one tire on.

> They
> >said I had to replace all 4 tires or else it would screw up the all

> wheel
> >drive, which will lead to a much more costly repair. The difference

> between
> >a new tire and the existing 3 are 4/32's. I live in an area where we

> do have
> >snow and rain regularly.
> >Is this true?

> No. However I would recommend getting the same brand/model of tyre
> for the one you replace.
>
> Mark.

i agree with this fellow here, get the same brand and model of tire,
and go with a pair instead of one.

--
beatbox
beatbox's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2790