lug nuts over tight?

Old December 31st 03, 08:32 PM
4000 psi

Default lug nuts over tight?

is there a way to check what my wheel nuts are tightened at currently?

thanks!

Old December 31st 03, 09:26 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 12/31/03 12:32, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:

> is there a way to check what my wheel nuts are tightened at currently?

Torque wrench. Local Sears has several. Depending on your
[unidentified] vehicle you'll want one with a range of up
to about 120 lbs at most. Get a long handle one and a socket
to fit your nuts. A click type is much easier to use than the
old needle style.

--
Fan of the dumbest team in America.

Old December 31st 03, 09:26 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Old December 31st 03, 10:14 PM
4000 psi

do i apply it in the direction of tightening and see what it reads or in the
opposite direction?

Old December 31st 03, 10:14 PM
4000 psi

Old December 31st 03, 10:19 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 12/31/03 14:14, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:

> do i apply it in the direction of tightening and see what it reads or in the
> opposite direction?

Yes.

First you go buy the wrench, _then_ you come back for instructions.

--
Fan of the dumbest team in America.

Old December 31st 03, 10:19 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Old December 31st 03, 10:22 PM
4000 psi

i used to own one when i had a motorcycle ... stupidly gave it away to a
friend ... it was a needle one ... i'll go take a look at the click ones you
mentioned ...

Old December 31st 03, 10:22 PM
4000 psi

Old December 31st 03, 10:32 PM
Bret Chase

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:26:42 GMT, "L0nD0t.$t0we11"
> wrote:

>:|Roughly 12/31/03 12:32, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:
>:|
>:|> is there a way to check what my wheel nuts are tightened at currently?
>:|
>:| Torque wrench. Local Sears has several. Depending on your
>:| [unidentified] vehicle you'll want one with a range of up
>:| to about 120 lbs at most. Get a long handle one and a socket
>:| to fit your nuts. A click type is much easier to use than the
>:| old needle style.

the 59.99 1/2" drive craftsman would be fine for tightening lug nuts.
they go up to 200lbs-ft. the old lever type wrenches are actually far
more accurate than a click type wrench and never require adjustment,
as the modulus of the steel never changes. clickers need periodic
adjustment to stay on spec.

-Bret