Dodge Dynasty engine locked

Old September 2nd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default Dodge Dynasty engine locked

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Battery has full charge. pulling 12.77v, the starter shows 12.54.
> Replaced the starter, checked all wires. Everything seems fine.
> Still get loud click. No missing teeth on the flywheel. Can turn the
> flywheel manually.
> Really lost now....
>

> Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:
> > Joe wrote:
> >
> > > Here's a test for seeing whether your starter is drawing amps. Go out

at
> > > night, turn your headlamps on, and hit the starter. If the starter

draws
> > > full amperage, they'll dim quite a bit. You could also use voltage

drop as
> > > indication, or the starter getting warm would be a third possibility.

> > That would also tell you if the problem is a dead battery.

Check the ground at the block for a good tight connection and make sure the
battery terminals are clean and tight

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 2nd 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> wrote:
> > Battery has full charge. pulling 12.77v, the starter shows 12.54.
> > Replaced the starter, checked all wires. Everything seems fine.
> > Still get loud click. No missing teeth on the flywheel. Can turn the
> > flywheel manually.
> > Really lost now....

> Hi...
>
> Not a mechanic, not even close. Just an old retired electrical
> guy. Worse, on my first ever lifetime Chrysler product, so don't
> know them yet either.
>
> However, 2 cents worth, take it for just what it's worth.
>
> From the facts that you give, I have no choice but to assume
> that Chrysler starters must be changeable without changing
> the solenoid. If that's the case, the solenoid is bad.

The Chrysler starters I've seen from the early 90s all have the solenoid
right on the starter. "Replacing the starter" generally involves
getting one from the parts store with the solenoid attached.

If he meant that he put the starter back on, but not a replacement
starter, it could be that the contacts at the end of the solenoid
plunger have burned off. This is not uncommon. I've had to rebuild a
couple of Chrysler solenoids with this problem. Most shops don't want
to help out with this type of job, but if you have a rebuilder in your
area you may be able to get the parts for under 5 bucks.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

" wrote:

> 91 Dodge dynasty. Has small transmisson alignment issue but works.
> Started car fine, went back in office for a few. 5 minutes later came
> out and just get the clicking sound when trying to restart. Changed the
> starter and full charge on the battery, still just loud click. Would
> this be from the misaligned tranny or did the engine lock on me. Has
> good oil and fluids. Battery shows 12 to 13 v. Is there a way to unlock
> or some other test to see what the problem is?
> Very limited on funds so most of the work i will have to do.

OK, I see now that you said that you changed the starter. Sounds like a
bad connection somewhere possibly. How about dirty battery terminals?
Or maybe your cables are making a bad connection with the terminals.
I've fixed that problem a few times with acid flux and solder.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 2 Sep 2006 08:10:21 -0700, " >
wrote:

>Battery has full charge. pulling 12.77v, the starter shows 12.54. <snip>

If you're showing 12.54 at the starter when trying to crank, obviously
the solenoid isn't providing a current path to the motor windings.

This problem shows up frequently on Nippondenso clutch drive starters,
which are in fact a near copy of Chrysler's "Hamtramck Hummingbird".
Old September 2nd 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

wrote:
> 91 Dodge dynasty. Has small transmisson alignment issue but works.
> Started car fine, went back in office for a few. 5 minutes later came
> out and just get the clicking sound when trying to restart. Changed the
> starter and full charge on the battery, still just loud click. Would
> this be from the misaligned tranny or did the engine lock on me. Has
> good oil and fluids. Battery shows 12 to 13 v. Is there a way to unlock
> or some other test to see what the problem is?
> Very limited on funds so most of the work i will have to do.
>
> PS. Oh yeah, when i run the ac i get cooland on the passenger side.
> Woudl i have to replace the whole heater/ac module in the car or just
> have the heater and ac lines flushed/pressured out?

there's no such thing as a "slight" transmission alignment problem- it
has to be in within a few thousandths of an inch !! If it's not
straight, you are in trouble.

You have a seized engine- if that is an automatic car, it sounds like
the torque converter splines are stuck on input shaft of the
transmission- and bound up- when you hit the key it will just click-
because it's seized solid

that happens quite often when a newbie puts his own transmission on,
and "jams the pump"- the converter has to be rotated and pushed all the
way into the transmission FIRST, before the transmission is bolted up-
then slide the converter forward slightly to bolt it up to the
flexplate

if you put the converter on the engine first, you'll never get it
splined correctly- and if you draw the transmission into the engine, it
jams the pump in the converter

there are (2) sets of splines that must be meshed inside the converter,
you have to rotate it and push in at the same time, until it fully
seats in the trans

Old September 3rd 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

duty-honor-country wrote:
> wrote:
> > 91 Dodge dynasty. Has small transmisson alignment issue but works.
> > Started car fine, went back in office for a few. 5 minutes later came
> > out and just get the clicking sound when trying to restart. Changed the
> > starter and full charge on the battery, still just loud click. Would
> > this be from the misaligned tranny or did the engine lock on me. Has
> > good oil and fluids. Battery shows 12 to 13 v. Is there a way to unlock
> > or some other test to see what the problem is?
> > Very limited on funds so most of the work i will have to do.
> >
> > PS. Oh yeah, when i run the ac i get cooland on the passenger side.
> > Woudl i have to replace the whole heater/ac module in the car or just
> > have the heater and ac lines flushed/pressured out?

> there's no such thing as a "slight" transmission alignment problem- it
> has to be in within a few thousandths of an inch !! If it's not
> straight, you are in trouble.
>
> You have a seized engine- if that is an automatic car, it sounds like
> the torque converter splines are stuck on input shaft of the
> transmission- and bound up- when you hit the key it will just click-
> because it's seized solid
>
> that happens quite often when a newbie puts his own transmission on,
> and "jams the pump"- the converter has to be rotated and pushed all the
> way into the transmission FIRST, before the transmission is bolted up-
> then slide the converter forward slightly to bolt it up to the
> flexplate
>
> if you put the converter on the engine first, you'll never get it
> splined correctly- and if you draw the transmission into the engine, it
> jams the pump in the converter
>
> there are (2) sets of splines that must be meshed inside the converter,
> you have to rotate it and push in at the same time, until it fully
> seats in the trans

considering this thread rec'd no more replies, is it safe to assume
that this OP had a jammed converter as I suspected ?

the key to learning how to be a good mechanic is not posting on the
internet- it's wrenching on the cars, reading the manuals carefully for
each procedure, and talking to other mechanics with experience in the
repairs. posting on the net is about the worst way to try to fix a car.
the machine is just to complicated to diagnose in that manner.

Old September 3rd 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bicycle, The Fifth Wheel King

duty-honor-countryc aka Charlie Nudo wrote:

> considering this thread rec'd no more replies, is it safe to assume
> that this OP had a jammed converter as I suspected ?
>
> the key to learning how to be a good mechanic is not posting on the
> internet- it's wrenching on the cars, reading the manuals carefully for
> each procedure, and talking to other mechanics with experience in the
> repairs. posting on the net is about the worst way to try to fix a car.
> the machine is just to complicated to diagnose in that manner.
>d-o-c

Oh really, shall I provide a link to your post on that Gilson lawn
tractor that got stuck in your driveway? That's a whole lot less
complicated than a car and you didn't have a clue how to get in going
and ran right to the internet crying for help.

Old September 3rd 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

bicycle, The Fifth Wheel King wrote:
> duty-honor-countryc aka Charlie Nudo wrote:
>

> > considering this thread rec'd no more replies, is it safe to assume
> > that this OP had a jammed converter as I suspected ?
> >
> > the key to learning how to be a good mechanic is not posting on the
> > internet- it's wrenching on the cars, reading the manuals carefully for
> > each procedure, and talking to other mechanics with experience in the
> > repairs. posting on the net is about the worst way to try to fix a car.
> > the machine is just to complicated to diagnose in that manner.
> >d-o-c

> Oh really, shall I provide a link to your post on that Gilson lawn
> tractor that got stuck in your driveway? That's a whole lot less
> complicated than a car and you didn't have a clue how to get in going
> and ran right to the internet crying for help.

Found it, notice how Charlie is posting as "DesertBob Jr."? Now who's
the troll?
Check the IP, right back to Charlie Nudo. Gee Charlie, why would you
post as DesertBob Jr. if you're the vicitm here? To bad that account
was canceled for ABUSE and you can't go back and delete your trolling
past.

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gardens/msg/8ef0f4ac5bd566c9?dmode=source>

Old September 3rd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 3 Sep 2006 05:16:20 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
> wrote:

>considering this thread rec'd no more replies, is it safe to assume
>that this OP had a jammed converter as I suspected ? <snip>

No, you moron. If you'd have READ the thread, you'd see that the
starter motor isn't getting current. Dumbass.
Old September 3rd 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 3 Sep 2006 05:33:26 -0700, "bicycle, The Fifth Wheel King"
> wrote:

>Oh really, shall I provide a link to your post on that Gilson lawn
>tractor that got stuck in your driveway? That's a whole lot less
>complicated than a car and you didn't have a clue how to get in going
>and ran right to the internet crying for help. <snip>

"Help! I can't figure out how to put transmission fluid into the
fluid coupling of my lawn tractor, and I have snow to plow!"

Big-time mechanic Charlie Nudo...stumped by a lawn tractor.