how to homebrew a 7000-psi mechanical press?

Old April 20th 05, 01:11 PM
Brian Whatcott

Default how to homebrew a 7000-psi mechanical press?

On 20 Apr 2005 00:18:59 -0700, wrote:

>how to design a 7000-psi mechanical press using standard (preferably,
>Home-Depot) available components?
>
>application is separation of edible-oils from an agricultural crop.

[newsgroup list trimmed away from hobby groups etc.]

Uh, oh!

Here comes another student with a coconut-crusher
homework project.

Hint: a screw press with a nice weight on the screw lever does well.
Or try my crusher: a wooden lever on the classical nut-cracker design,
writ large.

Brian Whatcott
Old April 20th 05, 02:44 PM
William R. Watt

) writes:
> how to design a 7000-psi mechanical press using standard (preferably,
> Home-Depot) available components?
>
> application is separation of edible-oils from an agricultural crop.

a bottle jack, car jack, or the car itself as a weight, but it might be
difficult to do the calculations.

the easiest to calculate would be the suggestion of a lever made from, say
a standard 10' 2x6, or maybe two nailed together for double thickness.

you won't get much travel from any of the above but you can use blocks
or wedges to build up height.

I haven't looked on the Interent but I'd check under oilseeds, corn oil,
rape seed (canola), linseed (flaxseed), or sunflower presses.

BTW does it have to be a cool press?
For some uses the oil cannot be heated during the pressing.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old April 23rd 05, 07:22 PM
Brian Whatcott

I'll type this really, really slowly...
[first removing the hobby group list though]

A force of 1000 lbs applied to a die with a 1/7 sq inch cross section
exerts a pressure of 7000 psi.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

Old April 26th 05, 04:33 AM
Rich S.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in message
> quietguy wrote:
>>
>> Well, as a rule (at least among non engineers) for presses they are rated
>> by
>> the ton - eg a 3 ton press uses a 3 ton hydrolic jack, and the pressure
>> it
>> applies then depends on the area over which that 3 ton is applied.

Gentlemen...........

Since many of you have obviously earned scientific credentials and since you
seem to have some familiarity with computer protocol, would it be too much
to politely request that you refrain from posting in multiple newsgroups?

Many of your remarks are directed at your friends and acquaintenances in
your usual haunts. I know this was originally the "fault" of the OP, but it
need not continue endlessly. Please be assured I am aware of the options of
ignoring the thread or taking up knitting. But this mindless blather about
"When is a pound a pound?" is getting tiresome. Write something interesting
once in a while.

Sorry - rant mode off. Isn't the weather nice? - or maybe you're in
Michigan. . .

Rich

P.S. Just to **** everyone off equally - it is spelled "hydraulic".

GTR -> Official Demo with Press Demo Simulation files Sting32 Simulators 0 October 15th 04 05:57 AM
On-board Radio Diagnostic Oppie Saturn 0 August 23rd 04 02:39 AM
Press Release: Russell Harrison Communication's challenge to the men's lifestyle publication industry Russ Harrison Audi 0 August 19th 04 02:42 AM
2004 A8 L press kit / leather CD holder on ebay PLAlbrecht Audi 0 June 17th 04 02:46 AM
Press Release: The Auction Report receives 10,000 visitors in 3 Days The Auction Report Antique cars 0 May 5th 04 05:42 PM