'93 Dodge van goes dead when I park it

Old February 29th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Greg Bailey

Default '93 Dodge van goes dead when I park it

Got a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 6-cylinder, 176k miles, still in great
shape, we've kept it up mechanically plus have had the transmission rebuilt
twice. The last week or so, the thing has taken to going dead when I back
off the gas to turn into a parking place, or when I come to a stop in the
parking place and shift the transmission into park. Anybody have an idea
what might be going on here? FYI, in the last six to eight months we have
had the EGR valve, coolant temperature sensor and alternator replaced, the
valve cover gaskets replaced and the second trans rebuild done.

Old February 29th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Greg Bailey

Almost forgot, fuel pump was also changed 'bout a year ago.

Old March 2nd 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Greg Bailey" > wrote in message
. ..
> Got a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 6-cylinder, 176k miles, still in great
> shape, we've kept it up mechanically plus have had the transmission
> rebuilt twice. The last week or so, the thing has taken to going dead when
> I back off the gas to turn into a parking place, or when I come to a stop
> in the parking place and shift the transmission into park. Anybody have an
> idea what might be going on here? FYI, in the last six to eight months we
> have had the EGR valve, coolant temperature sensor and alternator
> replaced, the valve cover gaskets replaced and the second trans rebuild
> done.

Nobody has answered, so here goes. There are a ton of things that can
cause this behavior. Vacuum leaks, computer problems, etc etc.
This one has no easy "book" solution. If you can find a truly competent
mechanic, maybe he can determine the problem without wasting too much
time.

I have known people to trade cars to get away from conditions such as
the one you describe.

And then again, it could be dead simple.

But, my best wishes go with you.

Old March 2nd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Texas Dan

On Feb 29, 5:31 pm, "Greg Bailey" > wrote:
> Almost forgot, fuel pump was also changed 'bout a year ago.

I worked on one of these a few years back. When I checked with the
local dealership, I found that the fuel system computer had been
upgraded 6 times since leaving the factory. I honestly don't remember
if that was the fix, but might be a good place to start. I'm betting
it is an electrical (compter) problem. Lots of luck.
Old March 2nd 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

"Greg Bailey" wrote: (1993 Dodge Grand Caravan 6-Cyl 3.3L 176k miles)

In the last eight months the EGR valve, coolant temp sensor,
alternator and valve cover gaskets were replaced, and the
transmission was rebuilt twice.

Recently, the engine dies when I back off the gas to turn into a
parking place, or when I come to a stop in the parking place and
shift the trans into park. Any idea what might be going on here?

Can you provide more detailed information about the symptoms:

1.) Exactly what is happening just before the engine quits.
speed, steering, controls, sounds, noises, smells, ....

2.) Exactly what is happening just after the engine quits.
speed, steering, controls, sounds, noises, smells, ....

3.) Exactly what is happening when the engine quits.
quits dead, runs a few seconds then dies, runs rough
until it stalls out, lurches, sounds, noises, smells,
dash lights, indicators, brakes actuated, trans gear......

4.) How does the car know that you are backing off the gas
to turn into a parking space instead of backing off the
gas to slow for a traffic signal?

Good luck.

Rodan.