Passat V6 Chipping

Old December 1st 04, 07:24 AM
Kagan Gokbayrak

Default Passat V6 Chipping

My Passat GLX has a speed cut-off around 130mph. I asked the dealer in
Turkey, if I can remove that cut-off and I was told that they can only
decrease the speed limit, and that I have to get a new ECU for
removing it.

This 2.8litre engine is using more gas than anyone else on the road,
and I can not even enjoy it due to this limit. I have to move aside
for even a 170hp Mercedes C200 Kompressor (2litre engine with
compressor). I looking for a chip that will either decrease the gas
consumption (I am OK to give up some horsepower) or remove this speed
limit. How much would that cost, and how easy is it to install? Would
it do any harm to my engine?

PS: I wish it had the technology to turn off some cylinders at low
RPMs... The gas is $6 a gallon here!!!
Old December 2nd 04, 02:47 AM
Mike Smith

Kagan Gokbayrak wrote:

> My Passat GLX has a speed cut-off around 130mph. I asked the dealer in
> Turkey, if I can remove that cut-off and I was told that they can only
> decrease the speed limit, and that I have to get a new ECU for
> removing it.

The speed limit is put there because the stock tires are H-rated (at
least that's the case in the US). Get new ones before you try going faster.

--
Mike Smith
Old December 2nd 04, 02:47 AM
Mike Smith

Old December 2nd 04, 07:20 AM

Thanks. I know about that. I could not find the same tires the car came
with (Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus). They do not exist here. So I bought
ZR rated tires. (Michelin HX MXM). Not that the car can go that fast!

Kagan

Old December 2nd 04, 07:20 AM