Don't compare the PT Cruiser to a Gremlin

Old May 6th 04, 11:47 PM
Bill Putney

Default Don't compare the PT Cruiser to a Gremlin

Joe wrote:

> I'm sure those were fine cars for their day, but they can't compare to
> the performance and versatility of new cars like the PT Cruiser GT.
>
> Here are some times for those old nostalgic cars for 0-60 and 1/4
> mile:
> ...Of course, the Gremlin was a joke:
> 1977 AMC Gremlin X 17.9 20.8 ( http://tinyurl.com/28als )

A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really
hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the
smallest engines available?

Bill Putney
(to reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
address with "x")

Old May 7th 04, 12:25 AM
Steve B.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:47:36 -0400, Bill Putney >
wrote:

>A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really
>hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the
>smallest engines available?

Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was
181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all
day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything
else back then was so HUGE.

Steve B.
Old May 7th 04, 12:49 AM
Bill Putney

"Steve B." wrote:

> On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:47:36 -0400, Bill Putney >
> wrote:
>
> >A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really
> >hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the
> >smallest engines available?

> Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was
> 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all
> day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything
> else back then was so HUGE.

FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.

Old May 7th 04, 01:11 AM
Steve B.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:49:40 -0400, Bill Putney >
wrote:

>"Steve B." wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:47:36 -0400, Bill Putney >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really
>> >hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the
>> >smallest engines available?

>> Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was
>> 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all
>> day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything
>> else back then was so HUGE.

>FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.

That was my point Bill. You said that you "find those times really
hard to believe". I was trying to point out the car wasn't really all
that little and similarly powered cars have been offered in recent
years.

Steve B.

Old May 7th 04, 03:09 AM
Bret Chase

wrote:

>:|
>:|
>:|"Steve B." wrote:
>:|>
>:|> On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:47:36 -0400, Bill Putney >
>:|> wrote:
>:|>
>:|> >A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really
>:|> >hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the
>:|> >smallest engines available?
>:|>
>:|> Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was
>:|> 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all
>:|> day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything
>:|> else back then was so HUGE.
>:|
>:|FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.
>:|

the Ford 5.0 is a 302 CI.. it works out to like 4.95l or something so
they rounded it up.

-Bret

Old May 7th 04, 03:22 AM
Justin

>>:|> Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang
>>:|> was 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with
>>:|> 5.0's all day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because
>>:|> everything else back then was so HUGE.
>>:|
>>:|FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.

You could also get a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, turbo or nonturbo, an inline six
and the 5.0 V8 of course in a mid 80's Mustang.

Old May 7th 04, 05:00 AM
Geoff

> Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was
> 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all
> day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything
> else back then was so HUGE.

20 inches is a big difference when it comes to vehicles. A 2003 Neon: 174.4
inches. An Intrepid? 203.7 inches. That's less than 30 inches overall
length between the smallest and largest models Dodge made that year.

A 2003 Caravan is 189.3 inches long (the Grand Caravan 200.5). So a Neon is
less than 15 inches shorter than a Caravan, and the Intrepid is longer than
a Grand Caravanl!

Incidently, a 2WD RAM regular-cab pickup with an 8' box is 229.7 inches
long.

--Geoff

Old May 7th 04, 08:03 AM
Bill Putney

"Steve B." wrote:

> On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:49:40 -0400, Bill Putney >
> wrote:
>

> >"Steve B." wrote:

> >> Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was
> >> 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all
> >> day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything
> >> else back then was so HUGE.

> >FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.

> That was my point Bill. You said that you "find those times really
> hard to believe". I was trying to point out the car wasn't really all
> that little and similarly powered cars have been offered in recent
> years.

Got it - thanks!

Old May 7th 04, 08:36 AM
Bill Putney

Bret Chase wrote:

> On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:49:40 -0400, Bill Putney >
> wrote:

> >:|
> >:|FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.
> >:|

> the Ford 5.0 is a 302 CI.. it works out to like 4.95l or something so
> they rounded it up.

Close enough - 1% diff. Thanks for the info. - it's good to be accurate
and precise.