What shocks for '89 GT convertible?

Old January 27th 05, 09:58 PM
Bob Landry

Default What shocks for '89 GT convertible?

New to this place (in fact just found it, once I figured out the
search option in my reader). We have an '89 5.0 GT convertible with
about 78k miles. Handling is getting a little loose and I'm thinking
it's probably time to replace the shocks. The car was set up with the
Sport handling package from Ford originally, but are there better
shocks on the market now for this car?

Also, any ideas on how to reduce the body 'twist' on this car?

Thanks for any help

Bob
Old January 27th 05, 11:55 PM
Erik D.

Bob Landry wrote:
> New to this place (in fact just found it, once I figured out the
> search option in my reader). We have an '89 5.0 GT convertible with
> about 78k miles. Handling is getting a little loose and I'm thinking
> it's probably time to replace the shocks. The car was set up with the
> Sport handling package from Ford originally, but are there better
> shocks on the market now for this car?
>
> Also, any ideas on how to reduce the body 'twist' on this car?

As far as the body twist goes, I would definitely get some subframe
connectors. Probably the best on the market are the global west full
lenght and maximum motorsports full lenght. Once you get yourself a set
of those welded in, it will feel like a new car. As far as shocks, I
know there are lots of good choices out there but I've always had good
luck with KYB gas-ajust shocks and struts. They are cheap but they rode
pretty good. Good luck!
Erik D.
'94 white lightning
'01 white GT

Old January 29th 05, 03:44 AM

Bob Landry wrote:
> New to this place (in fact just found it, once I figured out the
> search option in my reader). We have an '89 5.0 GT convertible with
> about 78k miles. Handling is getting a little loose and I'm thinking
> it's probably time to replace the shocks. The car was set up with the
> Sport handling package from Ford originally, but are there better
> shocks on the market now for this car?

Bob,

Note: The "sport handling package" is the same under all 5-liter
Mustangs.

I would suggest you don't go cheap. I've found it's better to spring
for quality shocks like Konis or Bilsteins than it is to buy a lesser
brand.

> Also, any ideas on how to reduce the body 'twist' on this car?

In this order: subframe connectors, strut-tower brace, and a g-load
brace. They'll make a huge difference!

Patrick
'93 cobra
'83 LTD

Old January 30th 05, 09:09 AM
ironrod

I used the Global West subs on my 88GT convertible, they tuck up nice and
tight to the floor pan and can't be seen from the side, I also tried the KYB
Gas A Just but found the ride too harsh, so I switched over to the KYB
GR2's. Much more comfortable IMO. While your in the process of stiffening
your car you should also consider upper strut tower and lower K member
braces as well. Since these mods will make your car ride stiffer you should
do them before you change out shocks. Who knows, you might be wanting to
soften the ride a little by then.

Old February 5th 05, 03:11 PM
Hooked 87

If your trying to fix the body twist, upper and lower strut tower and
subframe connectors fixed mine.

Robert
Hooked
87 gt vert