White smoke when starting my car in summer(96 Golf, 1.8l 8v, 186k)

Old July 13th 05, 05:05 PM

Default White smoke when starting my car in summer(96 Golf, 1.8l 8v, 186k)

Car:
vwGolf 96
186000km
1.8l 8v
Canada

Hi group,

My Golf in the summer, never saw it in the winter, sometime will
produce a white smoke when starting. Sometime alot other time little.
The problem is when I cold start my car in the mourning. And there no
smoke when I'm driving.

One mecanic ask me if the smoke was totaly white or "white-bleu". And
really I don't know it look white to me but it's not totally blue. Last
time I smell it, it was smelling like burn oil and not sweet(burn
prestone). My car always burn oil but a little more since I saw the
smoke. The coolant level is always good, but I will have to add arround
1L of oil each 1500km and before it was 1l for 2000km.

The problem appear maybe two year ago, the smoke is not alot all the
time and don't happen during winter so it's easy the forget. But I want
to fix that this summer.

My friend is a mecanic, mostly truc and will be happy to fix it for me.

What do you think is the problem and is it easy to fix?

Thanks,

Dominique

Old July 13th 05, 05:26 PM
wkearney99

> 186000km

Can we get a 'speed of light' joke in here? Oh wait, that's metric...

> One mecanic ask me if the smoke was totaly white or "white-bleu". And
> really I don't know it look white to me but it's not totally blue. Last
> time I smell it, it was smelling like burn oil and not sweet(burn
> prestone).

Sounds like it's a head/valve stem issue. That sort of smoke during
start-up is usually due to oil from the head leaking down past the valve
stem guides overnight. A valve job (along with a timing belt while you're
in there) is probably the solution.

It'd be worth doing a compression test beforehand to determine whether a
full engine rebuild is needed. No sense pulling the head out and rebuilding
it only to put it on block that's got tired pistons and crank bearings. And
if you do that, well, look at the clutch...

Old July 13th 05, 06:03 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, wkearney99 wrote:

>> 186000km

>Can we get a 'speed of light' joke in here? Oh wait, that's metric...

There could still be a joke there. See
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Old July 14th 05, 02:56 PM
Dom

> Sounds like it's a head/valve stem issue. That sort of smoke during
> start-up is usually due to oil from the head leaking down past the valve
> stem guides overnight. A valve job (along with a timing belt while you're
> in there) is probably the solution.

The timing belt was done at 130k on my car. But if the timing will
have a issues on that... There is always a "clik-clik-clik" sound if
I'm reving my car in low gear. I ask my mecanic one day and he said
just to put higher octane gasoline in my car it should fix it. It fix
it a little bit but not completely. Do you think is related?

> It'd be worth doing a compression test beforehand to determine whether a
> full engine rebuild is needed. No sense pulling the head out and rebuilding
> it only to put it on block that's got tired pistons and crank bearings.

Yeah that's the thing, I don't want to put too much money in this
motor. If the job is more than 400$ I will probaly invest in a newer
motor(less km and more hp).

> if you do that, well, look at the clutch...

It's the next thing I will do.

Thanks,

Dominique

Old July 20th 05, 10:32 AM
ThaDriver

Usually white smoke is water, indicating a blown head gasket. But it's hard
to tell if it's white or blueish sometimes, if it's just a short puff.
As another said, it's very likely worn valve seals or stems.
I think I would drive it as is & save up the cash for a good used 16 valve
engine - if you're looking for more HP. Just keep an eye on the oil level &
pressure, & temperature guage. (which you should do anyway :-)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

It's been so long since I've had sex, I can't remember who gets tied up.