Seeking additional info abour repairs to a Jeep

Old July 8th 05, 02:31 PM
Mike Romain

Stephen Cowell wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message ...

> > > 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth approx
> > > $150 to have done?
> > >

> > This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small bottles of
> > snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill up for the
> > next several weeks.

> Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
> the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
> you don't need... major boondoggle.
> __
> Steve
> .

I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and my
engine went insane!

I don't know what is in it, but my manually set up 258 would 'not' run
over 65 mph except on a down hill, I even had to gear down on a couple
long uphill runs, which is unheard of for my rig, even 3rd gear wouldn't
pass 65 mph! (normally 3rd pulls fast up to at least 75 mph)

I also lost about 30% for gas mileage. It made for a long trip home
too.

I finally got it low enough and put in Esso gas and magically my engine
came back alive with it's normal tire chirp off a fast start and top end
power restored.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 8th 05, 09:18 PM
RoyJ

Check it's alcohol content.

Old July 8th 05, 09:43 PM
Mike Romain

Could be, but there are two gasses that use that cleaner and my 258 runs
like crap on both of them.

Someone mentioned I might be running lean, so last carb kit I went a
little richer on the high speed metering rods and then tried that Shell
gas. No help, it still won't burn the crap. All I got was a slight bog
if I stomp it too fast with real gas. At least the adjustment is up top
so I only have to open one plate to get it back.

Mike

Old July 9th 05, 07:13 PM
Lon

proclaimed:

> I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> or not I am getting a decent price.
>
> I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation problems,
> but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable jeep-people
> could offer your opinions on these:
>
> 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> worth over $400 to fix?

It is what shops that don't first check the valve cover for leaking
will change rather than replacing the valve cover.

> 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

IF your valve cover has been replace by someone who knows how to tell
the difference between a genuine rear seal leak and a valve cover
leak, and you then would need to replace the rear seal, might as
well get this one done at the same time.

> 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth approx
> $150 to have done?

"Injection cleaner ? If it has never been done *and* you have
a preoblem indicating a possibly dirty injector, it could be
worth doing. Otherwise it is a really good profit center for
the shop.

Old July 9th 05, 07:15 PM
Lon

Mike Romain proclaimed:

> Stephen Cowell wrote:

>>>This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small bottles of
>>>snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill up for the
>>>next several weeks.

>>Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
>>the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
>>you don't need... major boondoggle.
>>__
>>Steve
>>.

> I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and my
> engine went insane!

Since Bush Gas, I haven't been able to run Texaco, Chevron, or Shell
regular in a 95 4.0 without mild ping. Recently the local Valero
station ran out of midgrade, and it seems that their regular will
actually run without ping.
Old July 10th 05, 05:56 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message =
> Stephen Cowell wrote:
> >=20
> > "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message =

> >=20
> >=20

approx

> > > This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small =

bottles of
> > > snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill =

up for the
> > > next several weeks.

> >=20
> > Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
> > the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
> > you don't need... major boondoggle.
> > __
> > Steve
> > .

>=20
> I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and =

my
> engine went insane!

Follow your owner's manual when choosing
octane grades... it was not the brand, I'm=20
betting.
__
Steve
..

Old July 10th 05, 06:02 PM
Mike Romain

Stephen Cowell wrote:

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message ...
> > Stephen Cowell wrote:

> > > Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
> > > the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
> > > you don't need... major boondoggle.
> > > __
> > > Steve
> > > .

> > I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and my
> > engine went insane!

> Follow your owner's manual when choosing
> octane grades... it was not the brand, I'm
> betting.
> __
> Steve
> .

It was the additives I am sure. It has happened before.

I was running hot, hard and fully loaded and in those circumstances, my
owners manual calls for high test. My owners manuals both also forbid
any alcohol mix of any kind unless you need a little to get to real gas.

I also have a modified engine set up manually like a 1981 engine would
be with no computer controls and the minimum pollution controls.

It only happens with brands that have that super cleaner in them or too
much alcohol, other high octanes like Esso work great.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 11th 05, 11:55 PM
Blue

After any jeep repair be sure to screw all parts back together with wing
bolts. (G)