hatchbacks

Old February 7th 05, 11:26 PM
Max

The Real Bev wrote:
> Magnulus wrote:
>
>> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
>>sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially in a
>>smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
>>give a choice.
>>
>> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
>>your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
>>look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
>>likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

> Guess how much an all-glass hatch costs if it gets broken.

Guess how many hatchbacks have an all glass hatch...

--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old February 8th 05, 01:23 AM
Ulf

The Real Bev wrote:
> Sam O'Nella wrote:
>
>>>Guess how much an all-glass hatch costs if it gets broken.

>>The insurance deductable?

> Who keeps collision/comprehensive on a car which will be totaled out at
> $500?

It's amazing but my Camaro costs *eight* times more in insurance
compared my BMW, and the BMW's depreciation is pretty much nonexistent
as long as it runs and passes the annual inspections... The true savings
of driving an old car is that you get away with liability only insurance.

Ulf
Old February 8th 05, 02:46 AM
Dave

In the States a hatchback is associated with economy cars and while more
useful they are considered more downmaket than a sedan. It doesn't make
any sense but that is how they are viewed.

Old February 8th 05, 03:19 AM
James C. Reeves

"Bill the second" > wrote in message
news

> "Magnulus" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
>> sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially
>> in a
>> smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
>> give a choice.
>>
>> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
>> your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
>> look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
>> likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

> I've found hatchbacks tend to have less room than the equivalent sedan.
> Usually the vehicle isn't as long. Case in point: Echo hatchback vs. Echo
> sedan.
>
> Personally I'd rather a wagon over the hatchback. For a given car there is
> more room than the sedan, because usually it's the same length as the
> sedan. Case in point: Focus sedan vs. wagon vs. hatchback.

Plus with the fold-down rear seats, there isn't a benefit to the hatchback
any longer.

Old February 8th 05, 05:40 AM
Laura K

Dave > wrote in
nk.net:

> In the States a hatchback is associated with economy cars and while more
> useful they are considered more downmaket than a sedan. It doesn't make
> any sense but that is how they are viewed.

GM/Cadillac has announced that they'll be making a new Mini-caddie based on
the Saab 9-3 platform -- a hatchback.
The following was posted in the Saab newsgroup:

First Cadillac Designed For Europe Debuts In Geneva
just-auto.com
February 7, 2005
Cadillac will show a concept version of its new European car at the Geneva
motor show in early March, and display the production version at the
Frankfurt IAA in September.
General Motors vice chairman Robert Lutz will give a sneak preview of the
sedan on Tuesday February 8 when he opens the new headquarters for Cadillac
Europe, a subsidiary of the Netherlands-based Kroymans Corp., which
distributes Cadillacs in Europe, according to Automotive News Europe.
The smaller Cadillac will be built on GM's Epsilon architecture using the
Saab 9-3 body shell. Sales of the car are scheduled to start early next
year.
Despite previous suggestions, the Cadillac version probably will not get a
convertible version which the 9-3 line offers. The car will come with a
1.9-litre diesel engine, which sources say will come from the Fiat-GM
Powertrain engine joint venture, and a V6 petrol engine from Holden, GM's
Australian subsidiary, which builds the GM Global engine line.
The baby Cadillac will be produced in Trollhattan, Sweden, where Saab
assembles the 9-3 and 9-5. Saab's Swedish assembly operation has been in
doubt as GM consolidates its manufacturing capacity.
In full production, the new Cadillac could sell 10,000 units a year, GM
sources say.
"The model is developed for Europe, but could be sold in other markets," a
GM Europe source said. "But it won't go to the US."
In 2005, Cadillac Europe plans to sell between 3,500 and 4,000 Cadillacs in
Europe.
Cadillac Europe says the brand sold 2,150 units in western Europe in 2004.
But market researcher JATO Dynamics says 1,157 Cadillacs were sold last year
in western Europe.

Old February 8th 05, 06:14 AM
Laura K

Max > wrote in news:4207f843$1_1@aeinews.:

> yay saabs!
>
> --
> ----------------------
> http://www.saab-900.tk
> The Saab Tech Resource
> ----------------------

Do visit alt.autos.saab sometime.
Friendly folks who are fond of Saabs.

Old February 8th 05, 02:14 PM
Sam O'Nella

> Do visit alt.autos.saab sometime.
> Friendly folks who are fond of Saabs.

I get the feeling these things have cult followings like Mac computers or
televangilests.

How much does a Saab *really* cost to own? How much are parts compared to
other brands? Do they do well in the snow?