Beadlocks

Old February 6th 05, 11:33 PM
jbjeep

Default Beadlocks

I know that real beadlocks are not legal on the street (at least in OR, I dont know
about WA or elsewhere), however, with all the new "street locks" out there, has
anyone had any problem with the cops over them?

In your opinions, what are the pro's and con's to running beadlocks for a
street/trail rig (one thats driven to the trail head)?

My rig is street legal more or less right now. If they wanted to write me up, they
could hit me for flares, mud flaps, license plate light, side markers and probably a
few other things if they really wanted to.

I am looking at new tires soon and thought I would look into the beadlocks a little
bit and also into the ceramic balancers (beads inside the tires) before I decided
what to do.

Thanks.
-jenn 98 TJ
Old February 7th 05, 12:52 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jennifer,
In this litigious society you'll never see anyone attempt to
legalize a multi piece rim with the department of Transportation again.
Try: Staun's internal bead lock system: http://www.staunproducts.com/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 7th 05, 04:12 AM
HomeBrewer

In the latest JP magazine there is a write up on some new DOT approved
beadlocks. If you need the info I can forward it...let me know

--
___________________
HomeBrewer

Old February 7th 05, 04:45 AM
Jerry Bransford

It doesn't matter if a beadlock wheel is DOT approved or not, there is
not a state in the US that I am aware of where driving with non-DOT
approved wheels is illegal. I don't even think many plain non-beadlock
aftermarket wheels are DOT approved.

Jerry

HomeBrewer wrote:
> In the latest JP magazine there is a write up on some new DOT approved
> beadlocks. If you need the info I can forward it...let me know

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
See the Geezer Jeep at
http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/
Old February 7th 05, 05:52 PM
Steve

These double beadlocks with PVC insert are DOT approved:

http://www.usa6x6.com/civilianbeadlocks/

The Staun product, AKA Second Air ( http://www.secondair.com ), looks to
be a much better option for the daily driver than external bead-locks
(easier to balance, safer, lower maintenance), but there are a few
disadvantages:

1. Airing up/down takes longer. Flow to/from the tire is partly
restricted by the inner tube. Also inner tube pressure changes with tire
pressure, so it has to be aired up/down as well.

2. Tricky to install even with a mounting machine. Not suitable for
tire changes on the trail.

3. No external rim protection like an outer bead lock. More damage to
rim and ingress of debris between bead and rim.

4. US$700-$800 for a set of four, rims not included. That's nearly as
much as a set of DOT approved double beadlock rims.

Just a common inner tube in a kevlar 'tire'. It'll be nice to see these
drop in price as they catch on.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 7th 05, 05:58 PM
Jerry Bransford

What benefit do you feel having them DOT approved gets anyone?

Old February 7th 05, 06:17 PM
Steve

The benefit is to the manufacturer. Provides a competitive advantage in
marketing by playing on the 'street-legal' concerns of buyers. Just
pointing out that some manufacturers do get theirs approved.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 7th 05, 06:52 PM
Jerry Bransford

Aside from the fact that whether or not it is DOT approved has nothing
to do with it making a wheel legal for the street. They're playing on
rumor and bad information.

Jerry

Old February 8th 05, 04:51 AM
SoK66

"jbjeep" > wrote in message
>I know that real beadlocks are not legal on the street (at least in OR, I
>dont know
> about WA or elsewhere), however, with all the new "street locks" out
> there, has
> anyone had any problem with the cops over them?
>
> In your opinions, what are the pro's and con's to running beadlocks for a
> street/trail rig (one thats driven to the trail head)?
>
> My rig is street legal more or less right now. If they wanted to write me
> up, they
> could hit me for flares, mud flaps, license plate light, side markers and
> probably a
> few other things if they really wanted to.
>
> I am looking at new tires soon and thought I would look into the beadlocks
> a little
> bit and also into the ceramic balancers (beads inside the tires) before I
> decided
> what to do.
>
> Thanks.
> -jenn 98 TJ

Technically beadlocks are not illegal in any state. Other than Hutchinson,
they just aren't DOT approved. I haven't heard of anyone being ticketed for
beads, however that doesnt mean it can't happen. Moab, UT cops handed out a
few warnings beadlocks a few years ago, but only in conjunction with
other violations.