Location of '96 "door open" switch?

Old October 3rd 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Craig

Default Location of '96 "door open" switch?

Hi folks,

My '96 XLT usually fails to illuminate the dome lights and the "headlights
on when ignition off" buzzer when I open the driver's door but works for the
other doors. I imagine the problem is a sticky "door open" switch or
possibly frayed wires to the switch. Any other thoughts? I don't miss the
dome light that much but over the past 11 years, the warning buzzer has
saved me a few times since I often drive a highway with a "headlights on day
or night" segment.

I'm trying to find the switch. Is it inside the body by the lower hinge?
....and accessible only by removing the inside plastic molding? Any tips?
Thanks.

--
---

Craig

Old October 4th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
state tech via CarKB.com

remove the door panel, remove the plastic film. the switch is located on the
bottom of the latch. unplug the plug & turn counter clockwise. its hard to
turn, sometimes you have to wiggle it as you turn.