2005 Honda Civic - rear brakes 80% worn after 20,000 miles

Old September 18th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_1_]

Default 2005 Honda Civic - rear brakes 80% worn after 20,000 miles

"cinerama" wrote

> No, I always use my right foot. I had a 1991 Honda Civic DX (that I
> bought new) and the brakes wore out after about 25,000 miles.

I, too, had a '91 Civic, and my brakes lasted a lot longer than that. After
some 20,000 miles on my '04 Accord, my dealer's service man was amazed at
how much brake pad it still has: "negligible wear." Apparently I brake with
a light foot, and it's lots of in-town stop and start driving. I suggest
you, stay conscious of your braking behavior and see if you can "lighten
up." Maybe you brake with a heavy foot?

Old September 18th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:36:36 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:

>cinerama wrote:
>>
>> No, I always use my right foot. I had a 1991 Honda Civic DX (that I
>> bought new) and the brakes wore out after about 25,000 miles.
>>
>> wrote:
>> > I hope you're no driving with the left foot on the brake, if you brake
>> > with Left foot, that might be the problem, keep the foot away from the
>> > pedal.
>> > Bg

>Rear drum brakes on any front disk brake car should go well past 100K...

It depends on how the brakes are sized.
Old September 19th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
cinerama

I have not had this problem with other cars I have owned. The brakes
last at least 50,000 miles on them. I received a phone call from the
Honda dealer last night asking if the service was OK. I complained
about the brakes and they said they would forward it to their
management.

Old September 20th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Did they check for a stuck adjuster?

ps.com...

Old September 20th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"cinerama" > wrote in
ps.com:

> Is this normal? I just brought my Honda Civic in for it's 20,000 mile
> service. I purchased this car 9/7/2005 so, it's only a year old. I
> drive mostly highway. They tell me the front brake pads are at 60% left
> and the rear are at 20% left. I have never had a car that worn the
> brakes so fast. I do very little city driving.

I *was* going to avoid this one on account of the strong troll odor, but...

My first and only question: Do you have rear discs or drums?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 20th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John M.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:36:36 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire
> wrote:

>cinerama wrote:
>>
>> No, I always use my right foot. I had a 1991 Honda Civic DX (that I
>> bought new) and the brakes wore out after about 25,000 miles.
>>
>> wrote:
>> > I hope you're no driving with the left foot on the brake, if you brake
>> > with Left foot, that might be the problem, keep the foot away from the
>> > pedal.
>> > Bg

>Rear drum brakes on any front disk brake car should go well past 100K...
>
>JT

Mine lasted well past 200,000 miles. The first set of pads on the front went at
about 80,000.

1993 Civic DX HB AT

--

John M.
Old September 24th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nobody

"Art" > wrote in news:JH%Pg.3706$UG4.1769
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Did they check for a stuck adjuster?
>

> "cinerama" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> Is this normal? I just brought my Honda Civic in for it's 20,000 mile
>> service. I purchased this car 9/7/2005 so, it's only a year old. I
>> drive mostly highway. They tell me the front brake pads are at 60% left
>> and the rear are at 20% left. I have never had a car that worn the
>> brakes so fast. I do very little city driving.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Roland

If the adjuster was stuck (not rotating), the brakes would not wear...
Old September 24th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nobody

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in
:

> "cinerama" > wrote in
> ps.com:
>
>> Is this normal? I just brought my Honda Civic in for it's 20,000 mile
>> service. I purchased this car 9/7/2005 so, it's only a year old. I
>> drive mostly highway. They tell me the front brake pads are at 60%
>> left and the rear are at 20% left. I have never had a car that worn
>> the brakes so fast. I do very little city driving.
>>

> I *was* going to avoid this one on account of the strong troll odor,
> but...
>
> My first and only question: Do you have rear discs or drums?

All 2005 Civics had rear drums.