question about timing belt tensioner

Old September 14th 05, 11:25 PM

Default question about timing belt tensioner

In a previous post, I had mentioned that after I had my timing belt
replaced, the engine started making horrible noises, like a
blender, particularly audible when I drive real slow. When I press the
gas, I could hear a distinct whistling. I brought it back to mechanic
who said, "oh, i'm sorry, I should've recommended
changing the tensioner too. Now you owe me extra for parts."

My question is: shouldn't the tensioner be replaced if
a timing belt is replaced? Shouldn't that be part of a package or
something?

I feel like I'm being scammed.

Old September 14th 05, 11:57 PM
Bruce Chang

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> In a previous post, I had mentioned that after I had my timing belt
> replaced, the engine started making horrible noises, like a
> blender, particularly audible when I drive real slow. When I press the
> gas, I could hear a distinct whistling. I brought it back to mechanic
> who said, "oh, i'm sorry, I should've recommended
> changing the tensioner too. Now you owe me extra for parts."
>
> My question is: shouldn't the tensioner be replaced if
> a timing belt is replaced? Shouldn't that be part of a package or
> something?
>
> I feel like I'm being scammed.

Not necessarily. It's true he could have done a better job, if he's not
going to give you a break to replace the tensioner, go take your business
somewhere else. You're not going to get a free tensioner out of this. The
normal recommendation is replace the timing belt and water pump (if the pump
is driven off the timing belt). It's entirely possible that the tensioner
failed after being ruled that it was good. Things like that happen. Is it
recommended that the tensioner be replaced when the timing belt is changed?
I'm thinking not.

If you quoted him verbatim, he's a horrible salesman. He better be a good
mechanic.

-Bruce

Old September 15th 05, 12:23 AM
Shep

Well you say, he said you owe me extra for parts, thats ok if there is no
additiional labor, actually very fair.
ups.com...

Old September 15th 05, 09:31 AM
Ted Johnson

> Is it recommended that the tensioner be replaced when the timing belt
> is changed? I'm thinking not.

For Toyotas, they recommend replacing the tensioners only for
every second timing belt change interval. Eg, don't do it at
60k, do it at 120k.

-Ted
Old September 15th 05, 01:24 PM
KjunRaven

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> In a previous post, I had mentioned that after I had my timing belt
> replaced, the engine started making horrible noises, like a
> blender, particularly audible when I drive real slow. When I press the
> gas, I could hear a distinct whistling. I brought it back to mechanic
> who said, "oh, i'm sorry, I should've recommended
> changing the tensioner too. Now you owe me extra for parts."
>
> My question is: shouldn't the tensioner be replaced if
> a timing belt is replaced? Shouldn't that be part of a package or
> something?
>
> I feel like I'm being scammed.

if the noise started immediatly after belt replacement it probably is a
tension issue...since i dont know what kinda veh. your wrenching on i cant
say if its auto, manual, or oil pres. driven tensioner. this may teach your
mech. to sell new tensioner on like systems......we all learn lessons from
failures.................kjun
Old September 15th 05, 04:50 PM

"KjunRaven" > wrote in message
> " > wrote in

> if the noise started immediatly after belt replacement it probably is a
> tension issue...since i dont know what kinda veh. your wrenching on i cant
> say if its auto, manual, or oil pres. driven tensioner. this may teach

your
> mech. to sell new tensioner on like systems......we all learn lessons from
> failures.................kjun

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Many of them are not very expensive and it only
takes a couple of minutes to replace some of them.
Others may present more expensive and serious
issues.

It might be wise to 'recommend' to the customer
that they be replaced. If he chooses not to do so,
then he has been warned and doesn't have a bitch
coming.