Need help with A1 diesel timing belt replacement

Old July 10th 05, 12:46 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

Default Need help with A1 diesel timing belt replacement

1982 VW Caddy 1.6 diesel

I just changed the timing belt on my Caddy and something has gone wrong. I
replaced the belt because I bought the truck used and I don't know how old
the previous belt is. I used a timing kit just like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/cy47k

The engine ran fine previous to this adventure.

When I started, I set the engine on #1 TDC, and locked the cam with the
locking bar. The IP pulley indicator, pump indicator and the indicator on
the bracket were all in alignment.

Replacing the belt was pretty easy. Following the belt replacement, I used
the dial indicator in the kit to set the pump timing according to the
procedure outlined in both the Haynes and the Bentley manuals. On startup,
the engine ran rough and produced a lot of smoke. If I pulled the cold
start control the smoke cleared up and the engine ran smoother. It idles
rough, but a little smoother with the CS pulled. This is all unusual
compared to how the engine ran before the belt replacement. I checked the
cam timing and pump timing and tried again, same result. I checked the cam
timing and the pump timing yet again, same result.

What am I doing wrong?

--

Tom

http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/

Visit the Cleveland Engine Forum
http://www.351cleveland.net

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment
insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of
that party again.... There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that
believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt...a few other
Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from
other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

--President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old July 10th 05, 01:03 AM
Joseph Meehan

Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
> 1982 VW Caddy 1.6 diesel
>
> I just changed the timing belt on my Caddy and something has gone
> wrong. I replaced the belt because I bought the truck used and I
> don't know how old the previous belt is. I used a timing kit just
> like this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cy47k
>
> The engine ran fine previous to this adventure.
>
> When I started, I set the engine on #1 TDC, and locked the cam with
> the locking bar. The IP pulley indicator, pump indicator and the
> indicator on the bracket were all in alignment.
>
> Replacing the belt was pretty easy. Following the belt replacement,
> I used the dial indicator in the kit to set the pump timing according
> to the procedure outlined in both the Haynes and the Bentley manuals.
> On startup, the engine ran rough and produced a lot of smoke. If I
> pulled the cold start control the smoke cleared up and the engine ran
> smoother. It idles rough, but a little smoother with the CS pulled.
> This is all unusual compared to how the engine ran before the belt
> replacement. I checked the cam timing and pump timing and tried
> again, same result. I checked the cam timing and the pump timing yet
> again, same result.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Well if I remember right (it has been a long time since I had a diesel
with a cold start control) it changes the fuel injection timing. Which
would mean the injection timing may well be off. I would say that something
in the timing is off in any case. Good part is that I doubt if you have
done any damage. Bad part, I can't offer a fix. I never messed with a
timing belt on any of my own cars. I did one for a friend and decided it
was too much work.

I love your quote:
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment
insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of
that party again.... There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that
believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt...a few other
Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from
other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

--President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Maybe you will like

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 16th 05, 04:10 AM
One out of many daves

Sounds like the injection timing is retarded.
Did you time the injection pump with the cable pushed in fully?
Tightened the tensioner in a clockwise motion too?

Did you check alignment of all components BEFORE you replaced timing belt?

"Whole Lotta Tom" > wrote