Auto insurance ripoff by GEICO

Old April 28th 05, 02:39 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:17:34 -0500, in misc.consumers.frugal-living DTJ
> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:14:29 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
> wrote:
>
>>FWIW, $3 million in blanket liability (in addition to auto and home
>>coverages) is around $2500 per year. Cheap if you have large assets
>>to protect.

>No way. I have a million dollar blanket that costs me less than $50 a
>year.

Is that what you pay to have it dry cleaned?
Old April 28th 05, 02:53 AM
straydog

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Steven O. wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:32:47 GMT
> From: Steven O. >
> Newsgroups: rec.autos.driving, misc.consumers.frugal-living, misc.consumers,
> misc.legal
> Subject: Auto insurance ripoff by GEICO
>
> First of all, I'm not sure if it is entirely fair of me to single out
> GEICO. What I just experienced may be endemic to the entire insurance
> industy. Still, I am getting the shaft from GEICO, and part of what I
> want to ask is whether what I experienced does, in fact, occur with
> other insurance companies.
>
> Basically, after nearly 30 years of driving, I had my first real
> accident. Totally not my fault, I was stopped at a light, and the guy
> behind me must have been distracted -- he simply slammed into me doing
> about 20 miles an hour. That forced me into the car in front of me.
>
> Fortunately, I am basically fine (at least so far, but we'll see if my
> neck and back are still sore in two weeks). However, the rear and
> front bumpers of my car were messed up pretty good. The body was
> scrunched, just slightly. Now, several issues have come up with
> GEICO:
>
> 1. I have an older car (about 10 years old), and the book value is
> (according to GEICO) about $2000. GEICO also estimates the cost of
> the repair about a bit over $2000. They say they will not pay for the
> repairs, if the repairs cost more than the cost of the car. They have
> referred to my car as a "total loss", or something to that effect,
> even though in fact the car still runs well and could probably go for
> another five or ten years. (I maintain the car well.)
>
> So, First Question: Does this happen with other insurance companies,
> that they will not pay for repairs if the estimated repair costs are
> more than than the estimated value of the car?

Yep, happened to me long ago. State Farm. They gave me options: i) pay for
repairs up to value of the car, ii) leave the car with them and they give
me the check for the value of the car, iii) keep the car & sign settlement
and give me the same check. Very similar situation to yours.

> If this is routine, is it even possible to purchase a rider on
> insurance which says, in essence: "Even when the value of my car
> drops, you will guarentee to cover the repair costs, up to $X? (Where
> $X might be, say, $10,000.)

You really might be better off getting a new car. I've had several
problems (rear end like yours, then a deer jumped out in front of another
car of mine, did 2700 in damage, and it was never fixed properly. Door
didn't fit right, paint job went to crap 3 years later, and leak in
windsheild). The hidden damage that never gets detected and/or doesn't get
fixed right is common.

> 2. Now, GEICO will pay for what they say is the replacement value of
> the car, which I can then spend on whatever I want (such as, as much
> repairs as that will cover). However, GEICO has also told me that:
> (a) I need to bring in my title to my car, for them to make a copy of
> that.

To prove you are the owne

And...
> (b) I'll have to "sign something" before they will give me the check.

Probably a settlement

> And...
> (c) After accepting this check, they will no longer provide collision
> coverage for the car at all. (I can still get liability coverage.)

Because the hidden damage might contribute to future greater damage or
greater susseptibility to damage.

> Second Question: What's up with all this -- the copy of the title to
> my car, and the "something" they will make me sign, and dropping my
> collision coverage? Would other insurance companies do the same
> thing?

Yep, insurance is a racket.

> 3. The car in front of me was a very, very expensive car. Although
> the damage was minimal, the bumper on that thing could cost $100,000.
> (Well, not that much, but a lot.) On the other hand, the bozo who
> caused the collision (the one who hit me from behind) is apparently
> not rich, and has about $10,000 of coverage for other people's cars.
> So, GEICO is now saying they will not pay anything until they first
> make sure that his $10,000 coverage will cover both the check they
> write for me, and the check they write to the guy in front of me (the
> guy with the fancy car that I was pushed into).

Did you have uninsured motorist coverage? That is supposed to help (at
least).

> Third Question: Can GEICO withhold payment -- even though all parties
> have already admitted I'm not at fault -- because the guy who caused
> the accident might not have enough coverage?

Might be best to talk to your state insurance commissioner and read up in
consumer reports. Insurance companies can be assholes.

> Bottom line, I've paid GEICO good money for many years, never had an
> accident, and now when I finally need them, they are basically saying,
> "Our policies, plus our number crunching on your car and your
> accident, boil down to 'Get Lost'."

Repeat: insurance companies are assholes. Use google and try to find gripe
websites. There are surely many. There was one called www.allsnake.com or
..org, a rant on All State. You are not alone.

> Two final notes
> (A) All three parties involved are insured by GEICO, yet the GEICO
> people are acting as adversaries to each other, essentially
> representing (or failing to represent) their clients as if they were
> separate companies. If common sense prevailed here, you would think
> that the fact that all three parties have poured money into GEICO
> would make them realize the fairness of simply paying out what they
> owe -- taking care of all their customers. You would also think one
> person could oversee the entire process, but instead they got three
> people dickering with each other.

Repeat: insurance companies are assholes.

> (B) I asked GEICO if there was any person or committee within the
> company I could appeal to. The answer was, "Here is the phone number
> for the state insurance commissioner."

English translation: F___ You

> GEICO: "We're here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year...
> to tell you to go jump in a lake."

> Comments, insight, and feedback are much appreciated. Maybe a final
> question: Is there any chance of my getting anywhere if I bring in my
> attorney? I don't want to spend more valuable money on the attorney,
> if it won't change anything.

Do talk to the insurance commisioner. Ralph Nader has a book:

"Winning the Insurance Game" by Ralph Nader and Wesley Smith, ISBN
1877961175, its a little old (1990) but the insurance game-BS hasn't
changed much since it was written. Quite cheap on amazon, other used book
venues. Check your local public library. Dealing with insurance crap is a
major pain these days and THEY just LOVE to stall their subscribers as
much as possible so they keep that premium revenue stream comming in, but
there is never any promise to settle with you by any deadline. Lots of
loopholes in the laws.

Good luck.

Old April 28th 05, 06:31 AM
The Real Bev

keith wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:59:16 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> > keith wrote:

> >> Come on, Bev! You don't pay for door service, so you're *not* going to
> >> get it. OTOH, often you can do quite well by insurance settlements.
> >> Shopping is the *CONSUMER's* job.

> > What do you mean, "door service"?

> You just asked for them to bring a (perhaps more than) perfect
> replacement to your door so that you're not bothered looking for a
> replacement.

Exactly. Anything less is placing a clearly-unwanted burden on me.

> > The insurance company (AAA) of the bitch who hit me was responsible, not
> > my own liability-only company.

> Sure, it is their liability. So sue the bitch. You won't get much
> satisfaction, but if you want to go through the mill...

I got several $hundred I wouldn't have had otherwise and it didn't cost me
anything. I'd rather have had them do the hunting.

> > I would
> > have been happy if they'd let me hack off her little finger, but
> > NOOOOOO!

> Tell us how you *really* feel.

Well, I actually would have liked to saw it off with a bread knife, but I
didn't want to gross anybody out. Maybe a little amateur dental work, too...

> > I was paid for medical stuff and pain/suffering, but what I
> > really wanted was to not have to search the county for a 1980 Datsun 210
> > with low mileage, a new clutch, and total cleanliness on the bottom --
> > not steam-cleaning, just NO DIRT. I didn't believe such a thing was
> > possible until I looked under that car.

> Ok, you *are* asking for door service. The fact is that you often cannot
> replace what you had, exactly. What do you want? A _new_ one? As others
> have pointed out, you're going to fall somewhat short on this end.

Nope, just a used one as good as the one that was destroyed. I don't think
that's unreasonable.

> OTOH, you were compensated for your injury. Count yourself fortunate.
> What if "the bitch" had only $10K liability, as others here have said are
> their state minimums (shudder)?

I would have been OK. The medical stuff was for the MRI for my husband
because he was in the passenger seat and the doorjamb hit his head. I'm
pretty sure the total was less than $10K.

> > It was her liability policy and
> > it should have taken care of ALL my car problems, leaving me in the same
> > state I was before she plowed into me. If you ever want to sue an
> > insurance company in small claims court, make sure you get a real judge.

> Well, you can go to a real court and demand a jury trial. It might cost a
> nikel, but it _is_ your right.

I think I'd be willing to have a real judge decide, but not a magistrate --
otherwise known as a lawyer helping out for one reason or another.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 29th 05, 02:17 AM
DTJ

Old April 29th 05, 06:25 AM
The Real Bev

AMEN, BROTHER! (I'm sure god will forgive me for top-posting just this
once...)

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 29th 05, 11:15 PM
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining
- JFK
~~~~~~~~
Old April 30th 05, 09:56 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

Steven O. wrote:

> GEICO: "We're here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year...
> to tell you to go jump in a lake."
>
> Comments, insight, and feedback are much appreciated. Maybe a final
> question: Is there any chance of my getting anywhere if I bring in my
> attorney? I don't want to spend more valuable money on the attorney,
> if it won't change anything.

It seems to me that You are not at fault and they have to do what
you want. Now if it were a raggedy POS and worn out, worth $2000 and the
repair would be $7000, then I would agree. Also, why are you billing
your ins co for a wreck caused by someone else?

--
There are no limits [to stupidity or kookdom], only extremes we haven't
reached yet.
Old April 30th 05, 10:22 PM
Rod Speed

<Alan > wrote in message
> Rod Speed > wrote
>> <Alan
> wrote
>>> Rod Speed > wrote

>>> Yes, it does.

>> No it doesnt.

>>> Simple fact.

>> Nothing like it.

>>> If the driver didn't know they were going to be rear-ended

>> You cant even assume that.

>>> they would release the brake

>> Nope, when you are applying force to the brake pedal, the natural
>> reaction is to press harder if the car gets slammed in the rear.

> Uh huh. YOu don't know you're going to get hit,

Sometimes you do, most obviously when you see the
vehicle bearing down on you in the rear vision mirror
at a speed that means its unlikely to be able to stop.

Its actually happened to me, I could see the clown driving the
taxi having a good oggle at some woman with a very short
miniskirt, not keeping track of what the traffic in front of him
as doing, and rammed me up the arse because he didnt.

> so your reaction comes AFTER you've already hit the car in front.

Your foot is ALREADY applying pressure to the brake pedal and
your instinctive reaction in that situation is to apply it harder, stupid.

Bull****.

> Less brakes.

Nope.

> So, when you react, you stand on the brakes.
> Too late. You've already hit the car in front.

Wrong. As always.

> Really.

Nope.