Still off to a bad start.....

Old March 17th 05, 12:27 AM
Auto Inspector

Default Still off to a bad start.....

Your story is sad but anything but uncommon. In my 20 years in auto
inspections business, I've seen worse cases - see our site
www.anti-lemon.com/faq.html, www.anti-lemon.com/misconceptions.html,
www.anti-lemon.com/lookatthat.html for real-life examples.
Good news is that you apparently learned your lesson - the hard way.
ANY USED VEHICLE NEEDS TO BE INSPECTED. From my experience, less than
5% come with no major defects. The worst case scenario for you is when
the vehicle in question is in perfect shape. In this case, you just
wasted your money on inspection. This, like I said before, hardly ever
happens.

Richard wrote:
> (For entertainment and sympathetic purposes only)
>

> Hey there,
>
> Three weeks ago I posted a very lengthy description of my problems

with
> a Miata (used) I had just purchased..... Two people responded with

the
> simple solution of "just get your money back". Well, I wish it were

that
> simple... I don't know about other states, but here in California

there
> is no "buyer's remorse" or "cooling off period" loophole. Once you
> bought it, it's yours. (Of course new cars are different with the

Lemon
> Law)
>

> Here's what's happened so far... I have to move to rural West

Virginia
> from San Diego. I decided on a Miata for the obvious reasons. After a
> fairly lengthy search, I found (what I thought was) a suitable car.

Main
> wants were a 94+, under 5k$, under 100k, and a tan interior.
>

> The car was at a used car dealer, karzplus.com , 7 miles away in
> National City. One hour after I bought it, it wouldn't start. Dealer
> came and got it and said they'd take care of it.... After a few days,

> call to see what's going on. Not ready.... Will be done in a couple

of
> days....
>

> Two weeks since purchase and I finally get the call. Great! Go to

dealer
> and.... Not great!... In worse shape than before; missing, violently
> surging, tach jumping around, warning lights flashing... Of course I
> turn right around and head back.... They again say they'll take care

of
> it.....
>

> A week goes by and still not ready. I get impatient and file a

complaint
> with the BBB. Another week goes by until I finally get a call. (Keep

in
> mind that now the 1 month/1000 mile warranty has been effectively
> cancelled as it is now a month and two days since purchased) I go to
> pick it up within seconds it's obvious it's still screwed up. I drive
> home and pop the hood. Hood prop is gone..... Cheap new bosch wires
> looking glumly up at me.... Get back inside and notice instrument

cover
> looks loose. Touch it and it flops back toward me... Great... it's
> cracked at the front because they didn't know how to get it off. They
> had no business behind there anyway..
>

> I didn't want to argue with the dealer and I certainly didn't want

their
> "mechanic" anywhere near my car so I had it flat-bedded to a Miata

Club
> of San Diego recommended shop. (Dennstedt's Auto Repair) This was

last
> Friday and today I got the news... Not good...
>

> It was running like crap because:
>

> 1) Broken intake sucking air
>

> 2) Miss-matched spark plugs with one stripped. and
>

> 3) 12-16 inch length of wiring harness butchered by previous shop. Oh
> yeah, and a front right wheelbearing.
>

> No prob... around $450 for everything. But that's just the tip of the
> iceberg... He said it's now running great but he did a compression

test
> and one of the cyl is low. And not the one with the now fixed plug.

Also
> the oil pan is cracked in a non-repairable fashion. It is also

cracked
> and scraped in such a way that it could only have happened if the

engine
> was out of the car. Looks like it was dragged across the garage
> floor...... $300 for the part and $600 to pull the engine....
>

> He says he will try some Motor Purr? and if it's varnish build-up it
> should stabilize the comp. ( But of course, I still need the oil pan)

If
> not, I'm looking at a new/used/rebuilt engine.... He also recommended
> that I call the CA Bureau of Repairs and file a complaint. I did and

am
> also going to the DMV. (those DMV investigators are nothing to fool
> with.) I've also been in contact with an excellent auto law attorney

who
> has advised me to wait and see what happens this week. (Several

years
> ago she got me a full refund on a vehicle (Suzuki Samurai) I bought

that
> used 13 quarts of oil in 90 days! It was even out of warranty) She
> anticipates no problems winning if it goes to court. (but I'm

moving!)

> So as you can see, I really screwed up by not getting a pre-purchase
> inspection by a qualified mechanic. Maybe I've just been lucky but

I've
> owned 32 (now 33) cars in my lifetime and not one of them has ever

had
> to have the engine pulled or opened up. (That Suzuki no doubt needed
> something!) I've always done a basic inspection myself and was (until
> now) confident because of past results. They got me good this

time.....

> And to top all of this off, I still have to move by the 31st of this
> month. Buying the Miata at the end of April left me 60 days to take

care
> of all the things I wanted to do with the car. Timing belt change,

New
> tires, do the oil gauge retrofit. Shocks and sway bars, real

roll-bar..
> Now all this ear-marked money will be going for God knows what....

Man,