Suzuki Vitara fuel injection short

Old March 15th 05, 11:02 AM
Pig Sick

Default Suzuki Vitara fuel injection short

I've posted the following mesage on rec.autos.4x4 and had a couple of
helpful suggestions that I haven't managed to follow up yet. One was
to check the fuel pump, the other to check the ignition. Then I
stumbled on this group which seems better populated than 4x4 so I
thought I'd copy my tale to here too. OK, OK, I'll check out the
suggestions made already, but the car's sitting outside and this is
Scotland for Christ's sake. It's pouring with rain. So just gathering
some further ideas before braving the weather. Copied message
follows....

Hi, I'm posting from a remote part of Scotland where our 1997 1600cc
Suzuki Vitara JLX has hit a problem with its fuel injection. The
engine
just cut out one cold and wet night, stranding my wife miles from
home.

We got the Vitara towed back home and all we can find is that the fuse
to the FI keeps blowing as soon as the ignition is turned on. The
engine turns over fine, but of course doesn't start. We unplugged
every
lead under the bonnet relating to the fuel system that we could find
try to isolate a component that might be shorting, but no joy - it
just
kept shorting.

Nearest decent garage is 90 miles away - a bit far to tow it.

I just wondered if this may be a problem anyone's had experience of?
Old March 15th 05, 02:36 PM
Stan Weiss

Have you checked the wiring from the engine back to the computer for a
short. On my '92 GEO tracker (like Suzuki sidekick) the ECM is under the
dash by the drivers left knee.
Stan

Old March 15th 05, 06:19 PM
Pig Sick

Thanks, I'll put that suggestion on the list of things to check! It's
right hand drive so the ECM may be elsewhere. It certainly could be a
short from a chafed wire or something. Meanwhile it's still raining...