96 Saturn, need change Belt/Gaskets now?

Old March 1st 05, 06:42 PM

Default 96 Saturn, need change Belt/Gaskets now?

Hi, I recently have my 96 Saturn(80k mileage) changed oil in Firestone.

And they did a free check on it, the report recommends:
1. 755K5 Poly-rib belt, remove/replace, Part cost $31.99, Labor $50
2. Gaskets, VS50218 Valve Cover Gaskets Set, Part cost $64.24, Labor
$180

I think Gaskets change is due to some leakage issue(which is always
there). For the belt, is it critical? And can I change it by myself?
Can I buy the parts from Autozone?

Any suggestion? I spent $600 couple of months back to solve the coil
issue which triggered the SES light. So I want to save cost on these
two issues.

Thanks a lot!

Old March 1st 05, 11:08 PM
Napalm Heart

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I recently have my 96 Saturn(80k mileage) changed oil in

Firestone.

> And they did a free check on it, the report recommends:
> 1. 755K5 Poly-rib belt, remove/replace, Part cost $31.99, Labor $50
> 2. Gaskets, VS50218 Valve Cover Gaskets Set, Part cost $64.24, Labor
> $180

>For the belt, is it critical?

Yes. Unless being stranded isn't a big deal.

>And can I change it by myself?

Most likely. Depends on if you have the tools and aptitude.

> Can I buy the parts from Autozone?

Yes, but I try to buy most of my parts from a local independent. Do
some price comparisons.

Ken

Old March 1st 05, 11:52 PM
Bob Shuman

Depending on your mechanical ability and assuming you have access to tools
and a service manual, you can probably accomplish all these yourself and
save the cost of labor. The belt is now 9 years old so if it has not been
replaced, consider yourself lucky and get this done. Leaking valve cover is
not a major thing assuming it is only a small leak and you keep the oil
level up/full.

Good luck. Shop around on the parts as these prices are likely high from
Firestone.

Bob
ups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 12:51 AM
David Teichholtz

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I recently have my 96 Saturn(80k mileage) changed oil in Firestone.
>
> And they did a free check on it, the report recommends:
> 1. 755K5 Poly-rib belt, remove/replace, Part cost $31.99, Labor $50
> 2. Gaskets, VS50218 Valve Cover Gaskets Set, Part cost $64.24, Labor
> $180

I'm sorry, you must have made a typo there. Labor to replace Valve cover
gaskets for $180??

Napaonline.com lists the gasket kit for $39.

I've replaced the valve cover gasket on many cars, never my Saturn, but I
can't believe it takes more than 30 minutes.

Personally, I would stay as far as possible from any franchise auto repair
place.

-David

Old March 2nd 05, 01:00 AM
Simon

No I am not kidding. Firestone is asking for $180 for replacing the
Gaskets.

So changing Gaskets is a simple task? Then I will borrow service manual
from library (hope I can find it), and order the parts from
Napaonline.com.

For the belt, I guess I will seek a cheap local mechanic shop for the
service.

Thanks a lot for the tips/suggestions!

Old March 2nd 05, 01:21 AM
Napalm Heart

"Simon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> No I am not kidding. Firestone is asking for $180 for replacing the
> Gaskets.
>
> So changing Gaskets is a simple task? Then I will borrow service

manual
> from library (hope I can find it), and order the parts from
> Napaonline.com.
>
> For the belt, I guess I will seek a cheap local mechanic shop for

the
> service.
>
> Thanks a lot for the tips/suggestions!

Look in the manual for the procedure to replace the belt. It isn't
difficult. If you can afford it, $15-$20 for a manual can be money
well spent.

Ken

Old March 2nd 05, 02:02 AM
Simon

For the belt, I searched in Autozone.com. The closest one comes out as
KELLY_SPRINGFIELD BELT for a 1996 SATURN SL2
Unit Price: $9.99 Core
Value*: $0.00
Part No.: 780K5
Weight: 0.45 lbs.

On Firestone's sheet, it is 755K5 Poly-Rib belt, is this the same item?

Their quote is $31.99, this is way off $9.99 price on Autozone.

Anybody did belt replacement before? This is just regular belt, right?

Old March 2nd 05, 02:09 AM
Simon

On napaonline.com, the closest one for belt comes out as:
tem#: NBH25050778
Price: $ 21.49
Attributes: Belt - Serpentine
Imperial Length: 78 3/8''
Top Width: 11/16''
# of Ribs: 5
Angle Degree: 40 Degrees

Confused now with which belt the Firestone is referring to...

Old March 2nd 05, 03:00 AM
Bob Shuman

"Poly Rib" is probably the same as "Serpentine"

oups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 03:45 AM
Simon

Yeah, Poly Rib is Serpentine, it is fan belt. Looks complex, I will ask
for service then.