head gasket leak...any suggestions?

Old November 24th 04, 12:46 PM
Terry

Default head gasket leak...any suggestions?

I just took our '00 Saturn wagon in to my local mechanic, 'add coolant'
light was on,
a little antifreeze on the garage floor. He put it up on the hoist & said
looks like it's leaking
out of the head gasket. -- He put some stop-leak liquid in, for a temporary
fix.
Has anyone on this NG replaced a head gasket on one of these? The car only
has 44K
on it, so I don't want to lay out a lot of $$in labor to let someone else do
it, but
I'd never torn down the engine on one of these....

Terry

Old November 24th 04, 05:00 PM
Art

If it were me I would first try Saturn to see if they will pay a share for
the repair.

Old November 24th 04, 11:59 PM
Kevin M. Keller

"Terry" > typed until their fingers bled, and came
up with:

> Has anyone on this NG replaced a head gasket on one of these?

It isn't too bad of a job. takes me about 8 hours to do in my driveway.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old November 25th 04, 01:43 AM
Terry

Well I wish you were my neighbor, I'd have you help me do it!
I have a garage and tools, but I'm used to working on muscle cars,
I've never did engine work on a 4 cylinder--

Terry

Old November 25th 04, 01:44 AM
Terry

I might just try that...I'm the second owner, so I have no warranty
info whatsoever...but any help that I'd get from Saturn would be great...

Terry

link.net...

Old November 25th 04, 03:17 PM
Kevin M. Keller

"Terry" > typed until their fingers bled, and came
up with:

> Well I wish you were my neighbor, I'd have you help me do it!

If you're anywhere near St. Louis, I'd be glad to help.

> I have a garage and tools, but I'm used to working on muscle cars,
> I've never did engine work on a 4 cylinder--

just think of it as working on 1/2 of a V-8.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old December 12th 04, 01:36 AM
Nick Hull

In article .net>,
"Art" > wrote:

> If it were me I would first try Saturn to see if they will pay a share for
> the repair.

If it were me i'd first try re-torquing the head bolts and see it that
stops the leak. Pull them out one-at-a time and clean & oil them to
pull the gasket tight.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Old December 12th 04, 12:03 PM
Terry

I might re-torque the head bolts, I did take the car to a mechanic I know,
he put in some stop-leak, said if the leak was real small that might stop
it.
They then pressure-tested it and it seems okay...I've put almost 1K on it
since, so far so good---

Old December 12th 04, 03:08 PM
jdoe

Do NOT try retorquing. IIRC these are torque to yield bolts. You WILL do
more harm than good. Bite the bullet and replace the gasket.
Larry

Old December 12th 04, 03:27 PM
Terry

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> Do NOT try retorquing. IIRC these are torque to yield bolts. You WILL do
> more harm than good. Bite the bullet and replace the gasket.
> Larry
> "Terry" > wrote in message
>>I might re-torque the head bolts, I did take the car to a mechanic I know,
>> he put in some stop-leak, said if the leak was real small that might stop
>> it.
>> They then pressure-tested it and it seems okay...I've put almost 1K on it
>> since, so far so good---
>>

>> "Nick Hull" > wrote in message

>>> If it were me i'd first try re-torquing the head bolts and see it that
>>> stops the leak. Pull them out one-at-a time and clean & oil them to
>>> pull the gasket tight.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Free men own guns, slaves don't
>>> www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Yes I would follow my mechanic's advice before trying some backyard
re-torquing...
Does it seem wierd that this would happen with only 45K on the car??

4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 01:42 AM
Civic Head Gasket Chopface Honda 3 December 17th 04 02:33 AM
Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM
Head Gasket 98 Neon? Simon Cooke Dodge 6 July 29th 04 12:49 PM