Cylinder bank numbering

Old July 12th 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

Default Cylinder bank numbering

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:37:16 GMT, SteveG > wrote:

>> Y'know, sometimes a smiley isn't enough to excuse an utterly pointless
>> post that doesn't even have any original or worthwhile humo(u)r in it.
>>
>> HTH, HAND, etc.

>You must get ever so lonely on planet Perfect. In which case you'll feel
>right at home in my newly created (just for you) kill file.
>
>Have a nice day!!

I'm more than happy with you doing that.

The truth may upset you, but you'll doubtless be happier in your
newfound ostrich-head-in-the sand little world where you don't see or
hear anyone bursting your bubbles.

*Now* you can put me in your kill file...
--
Dan.
Old July 13th 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
KMS - Brett Anderson

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> V8, cylinders 1 through 4 are the RIGHT bank, cylinders 5 through 8 are
>> the LEFT bank. V12, 1-6 RIGHT, 7-12 LEFT.
>>

> I have to disapute this. As I sit here and consult my Motor Manual AND my
> Factory Shop Manual for my Jeep, it is clearly shown that the #1 cylinder
> is the front left.

OK. Insert BMW in front of V8 in my above text. In fact, insert it in front
of everything I said. Sorry, as this is a BMW group, and the question was
BMW related, I didn't see the need to put the BMW part in. I have no
interest, and no knowledge about other makes.

> I agree there are variances of numbering the odds all on the left and

evens

#1 cylinder on a BMW V8 or a BMW V12 is the RIGHT front cylinder. Always,
no exceptions.

>> To add a little confusion, in a 6 cylinder car, if there is a reference
>> to Bank 1, and Bank 2, bank 1 is the first 3 cylinders, bank 2 is the
>> back 3 cylinders.
>>

> That would be an Inline 6. The V6 shares the Bank 1 and Bank 2 numbering
> conventions with the V8 motors.

Again, as BMW has never produced a V6, the thought of clarifying this never
entered my head, but you are correct.

Thanks

Brett Anderson
KMS

Old July 13th 06, 11:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"KMS - Brett Anderson" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The left
>> side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in the
>> driver seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The driver's
>> door is the left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is NOT the
>> left side as you stand at the front of the car and look into the engine
>> bay.
>>
>> 1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.

> There is only one left, and one right, when referring to a vehicle.
>
> Left and right are ALWAYS from the driver's seat.

Agreed for a vehicle., but AFAIA left and right of and engine always refers
to when you're facing the pulley end, or front of the engine.
Means there's no confusion when it comes to transverse mounted engines.
Mike.

Old July 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"KMS - Brett Anderson" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>> V8, cylinders 1 through 4 are the RIGHT bank, cylinders 5 through 8 are
>>> the LEFT bank. V12, 1-6 RIGHT, 7-12 LEFT.
>>>

>> I have to disapute this. As I sit here and consult my Motor Manual AND my
>> Factory Shop Manual for my Jeep, it is clearly shown that the #1 cylinder
>> is the front left.

> OK. Insert BMW in front of V8 in my above text. In fact, insert it in
> front of everything I said. Sorry, as this is a BMW group, and the
> question was BMW related, I didn't see the need to put the BMW part in. I
> have no interest, and no knowledge about other makes.

That's okay, I was thinking that cylinder numbering convention was pretty
universal, it did not occure to me that the metric system played a role in
changing how the cylinders get numbered.

> > I agree there are variances of numbering the odds all on the left and

> evens
>> on the right (GM Style), and sequential numbering with 1 to 4 left and 5
>> to 8 right, (Ford Style) but the #1 is always the front left, and is
>> always the front on an inline motor (either 4 or 6, or 8 for that
>> matter -- yes, there was once an Inline 8). I am not aware of any motor
>> that numbers the #1 on the front right. Please provide a cite if this is
>> not accurate.

> #1 cylinder on a BMW V8 or a BMW V12 is the RIGHT front cylinder. Always,
> no exceptions.

I'm good with that. I didn't know it, but ...

Old July 13th 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"Mike G" > wrote in message

> "KMS - Brett Anderson" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>> Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The
>>> left side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in
>>> the driver seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The
>>> driver's door is the left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is
>>> NOT the left side as you stand at the front of the car and look into the
>>> engine bay.
>>>
>>> 1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.

>> There is only one left, and one right, when referring to a vehicle.
>>
>> Left and right are ALWAYS from the driver's seat.

> Agreed for a vehicle., but AFAIA left and right of and engine always
> refers to when you're facing the pulley end, or front of the engine.
> Means there's no confusion when it comes to transverse mounted engines.
> Mike.

That would be incorrect. The left side of the motor is on the left side of
the car.

Old July 14th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:34:03 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Thanks for that. Fairly extensive googling fails to give me a
>>> definite answer, and I know that there isn't a common standard for
>>> cylinder numbering of V engines. I'll go with the right side O2
>>> sensor, and see what happens.

>>Try googling for the distributor wiring.
>>

> I'm looking for bank numbering. I'm not sure what the firing order
> has to do with it.

Because if you know the order you can follow the spark plug leads and see
where they go!

Old July 14th 06, 01:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:25:18 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>> I'm looking for bank numbering. I'm not sure what the firing order
>> has to do with it.

>Because if you know the order you can follow the spark plug leads and see
>where they go!

I once carelessly put a distributor back into a 4 cylinder engine 360
degrees out of whack, and plonked the existing distributor cap and
plug leads back on it. When I eventually figured out what the problem
was, I had one of those rare moments of inspiration and just changed
the plug wires around instead of taking the damned distributor back
out and repositioning it.

Pray tell how anyone could tell which was # 1 cylinder on that car
just from the plug leads, either before or after I'd messed with it.

>> In spite of everything, I'm going with bank 1 being on the right. I
>> think it's a good bet and if I'm wrong, then I'll just have to get
>> under the damned car again and swap it.

I'm happy to report that my doings with O2 sensors appear to confirm
that cylinder bank 1 - 4 is, in fact on the right. And I wasn't daft
enough to mess with the plug wires or anything like that this time.
--
Dan.
Old July 14th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Mike G" > wrote in message

>>> There is only one left, and one right, when referring to a vehicle.
>>>
>>> Left and right are ALWAYS from the driver's seat.

>> Agreed for a vehicle., but AFAIA left and right of and engine always
>> refers to when you're facing the pulley end, or front of the engine.
>> Means there's no confusion when it comes to transverse mounted engines.
>> Mike.
>>

> That would be incorrect. The left side of the motor is on the left side of
> the car.

Nope.The front, back, and sides of an engine is a constant, regardless of
how the engine is mounted.
In the case of a transversely mounted engine, some might refer to the left
side of it, but if it is the output end, with the g/box etc, it is still the
rear of the engine, even though it is on the left side of the car.
Mike.

Old July 14th 06, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"Mike G" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

>>> Agreed for a vehicle., but AFAIA left and right of and engine always
>>> refers to when you're facing the pulley end, or front of the engine.
>>> Means there's no confusion when it comes to transverse mounted engines.
>>> Mike.
>>>

>> That would be incorrect. The left side of the motor is on the left side
>> of
>> the car.

> Nope.The front, back, and sides of an engine is a constant, regardless of
> how the engine is mounted.
> In the case of a transversely mounted engine, some might refer to the left
> side of it, but if it is the output end, with the g/box etc, it is still
> the rear of the engine, even though it is on the left side of the car.
> Mike.

Sorry, that is not always the case. The left side of the motor is on the
left side of the car. IF the motor is mounted transverse, the "front"
(pulley end) can be either left or right, so the reference is such that one
must visualize the pulleys being on the front, then the left is the same as
the left side of the car.

Maybe we are saying the same thing here. The left and right of the motor is
not determined by where one is standing, it is the same as the car -- and
assumes the motor is situated such that the pullies are at the front of the
car, not mounted sideways as in a transverse engine.

The front of the engine is the end with the belts and pullies, the rear is
the end with the bellhousing.

Old July 14th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:25:18 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>
>>> I'm looking for bank numbering. I'm not sure what the firing order
>>> has to do with it.

>>Because if you know the order you can follow the spark plug leads and see
>>where they go!

> I once carelessly put a distributor back into a 4 cylinder engine 360
> degrees out of whack, and plonked the existing distributor cap and
> plug leads back on it. When I eventually figured out what the problem
> was, I had one of those rare moments of inspiration and just changed
> the plug wires around instead of taking the damned distributor back
> out and repositioning it.

How on earth can you get a disto 360 degrees out?