Cylinder bank numbering

Old July 10th 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

Default Cylinder bank numbering

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:47:35 GMT, SteveG > wrote:
>
>>Dean Dark wrote:
>>> Before I replace the wrong O2 sensor, would somebody please be kind
>>> enough to confirm that BMW numbers their V8 cylinder banks 1 to 4
>>> right side and 5 to 8 left side?

>>Kinda depends whether you're looking at it from the front of the car
>>facing the rear or drivers seat facing forwards :-)

> Take a guess at which way most people would look at it.
>
> Or are you one of those ****s who stands behind a clock and has, shall
> we say, a somewhat different opinion of which direction is clockwise?

I find it counter-productive for one to ask a question, then hurl insults at
those that make an honest attempt to provide an answer.

I would place Bank 1 on the left bank, that would be the bank in front of
the driver as opposed to the bank in front of the passenger.

Old July 10th 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:34:03 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Thanks for that. Fairly extensive googling fails to give me a
>>> definite answer, and I know that there isn't a common standard for
>>> cylinder numbering of V engines. I'll go with the right side O2
>>> sensor, and see what happens.

>>Try googling for the distributor wiring.
>>

> I'm looking for bank numbering. I'm not sure what the firing order
> has to do with it.
>
> In spite of everything, I'm going with bank 1 being on the right.

Well, according to Bentleys, No1 cyl is definitely on the right when facing
the front of the engine.
Dunno what others are on about but AFAIK cylinder numbering 'always' starts
from the front of an engine. The front being the end with the pulley for the
ancilliaries. Fan, alternator etc.
Mike.

Old July 10th 06, 10:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 17:44:40 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" >
wrote:

>I find it counter-productive for one to ask a question, then hurl insults at
>those that make an honest attempt to provide an answer.

Those weren't insults, believe me.

>I would place Bank 1 on the left bank, that would be the bank in front of
>the driver as opposed to the bank in front of the passenger.

I just found that the ETK parts manual numbers the cylinders 1 to 4 on
the right side and 5 to 8 on the left side. That matches the fault
code descriptions of "cylinder bank 1 - 4" and "cylinder bank 5 - 8,"
so I think that's what I'll go with.
--
Dan.
Old July 10th 06, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 17:44:40 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" >
> wrote:
>
>>I find it counter-productive for one to ask a question, then hurl insults
>>at
>>those that make an honest attempt to provide an answer.

> Those weren't insults, believe me.
>
>>I would place Bank 1 on the left bank, that would be the bank in front of
>>the driver as opposed to the bank in front of the passenger.

> I just found that the ETK parts manual numbers the cylinders 1 to 4 on
> the right side and 5 to 8 on the left side. That matches the fault
> code descriptions of "cylinder bank 1 - 4" and "cylinder bank 5 - 8,"
> so I think that's what I'll go with.

Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The left
side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in the driver
seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The driver's door is the
left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is NOT the left side as you
stand at the front of the car and look into the engine bay.

1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.

Old July 10th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:51:41 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>>>I would place Bank 1 on the left bank, that would be the bank in front of
>>>the driver as opposed to the bank in front of the passenger.

>> I just found that the ETK parts manual numbers the cylinders 1 to 4 on
>> the right side and 5 to 8 on the left side. That matches the fault
>> code descriptions of "cylinder bank 1 - 4" and "cylinder bank 5 - 8,"
>> so I think that's what I'll go with.

>Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The left
>side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in the driver
>seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The driver's door is the
>left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is NOT the left side as you
>stand at the front of the car and look into the engine bay.
>
>1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.

Well, according to the ETK, 1 to 4 cylinders are on the right and 5 to
8 are on the left. The four exhaust manifolds each go to cylinders 1
& 3, 2 & 4 on the right, and 5 & 6 and 7 & 8 on the left. My
inclination would be to number the cylinders in crankshaft order from
front to back, but that doesn't seem to be the way that BMW does it.

Oh, and I'm assuming there that you wouldn't have the same confusion
over which is the front and back of the car as you possibly might seem
to have over which is the left and the right :-)
--
Dan.
Old July 11th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SteveG[_1_]

Dean Dark wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:47:35 GMT, SteveG > wrote:
>
>> Dean Dark wrote:
>>> Before I replace the wrong O2 sensor, would somebody please be kind
>>> enough to confirm that BMW numbers their V8 cylinder banks 1 to 4
>>> right side and 5 to 8 left side?

>> Kinda depends whether you're looking at it from the front of the car
>> facing the rear or drivers seat facing forwards :-)

> Take a guess at which way most people would look at it.
>
> Or are you one of those ****s who stands behind a clock and has, shall
> we say, a somewhat different opinion of which direction is clockwise?

Jeez! Are you blind or don't you understand that a smiley emoticon
suggests a tongue-in-cheek post?

Some mothers do 'ave 'em

--
Regards

Steve G
Old July 11th 06, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:45:08 GMT, SteveG > wrote:

>>> Kinda depends whether you're looking at it from the front of the car
>>> facing the rear or drivers seat facing forwards :-)

>> Take a guess at which way most people would look at it.
>>
>> Or are you one of those ****s who stands behind a clock and has, shall
>> we say, a somewhat different opinion of which direction is clockwise?

>Jeez! Are you blind or don't you understand that a smiley emoticon
>suggests a tongue-in-cheek post?
>
>Some mothers do 'ave 'em

Y'know, sometimes a smiley isn't enough to excuse an utterly pointless
post that doesn't even have any original or worthwhile humo(u)r in it.

HTH, HAND, etc.
--
Dan.
Old July 12th 06, 06:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
KMS - Brett Anderson

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The left
> side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in the
> driver seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The driver's
> door is the left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is NOT the
> left side as you stand at the front of the car and look into the engine
> bay.
>
> 1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.

There is only one left, and one right, when referring to a vehicle.

Left and right are ALWAYS from the driver's seat.

The LEFT side of a vehicle in the US usually contains the steering wheel.
The LEFT side of a vehicle in Great Britain usually contains the passenger
seat.

When one is standing at the front of the car (why, oh why, did BMW go away
from the rear opening bonnet/hood?), the LEFT side of the car is still the
side that has the steering wheel in the US, or the passenger seat in the UK.
Yes, you smart arses, there are exceptions if there is a RHD car in America
or an LHD in the UK.

The easy way to remember banks, and/or cylinder numbering in a BMW is this.
What side of the car did you need to stand on to remove the spark plugs from
a 1970's 4 or 6 cylinder BMW? The RIGHT hand side. The cylinder number is
1 to 4, or 6, starting at the front. So, cylinder number 1 is the forward
most cylinder on the RIGHT hand side of the car. Go back from there. When
you run out of cylinders, move to the LEFT side. The even/odd numbering
system is an American V8 trait that has probably made it's way into various
European models, but not BMW.

V8, cylinders 1 through 4 are the RIGHT bank, cylinders 5 through 8 are the
LEFT bank. V12, 1-6 RIGHT, 7-12 LEFT.

To add a little confusion, in a 6 cylinder car, if there is a reference to
Bank 1, and Bank 2, bank 1 is the first 3 cylinders, bank 2 is the back 3
cylinders.

Hope this helps.

Brett Anderson
KMS - Koala Motorsport
www.bmw-stuff.com

Old July 12th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"KMS - Brett Anderson" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The left
>> side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in the
>> driver seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The driver's
>> door is the left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is NOT the
>> left side as you stand at the front of the car and look into the engine
>> bay.
>>
>> 1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.

> There is only one left, and one right, when referring to a vehicle.

I agree that there is only one left and one right. The poster I was
responding too seemed to think that the cylinders were numbered as from
standing in front of the car and leaning over the grill.

> Left and right are ALWAYS from the driver's seat.
>
> The LEFT side of a vehicle in the US usually contains the steering wheel.
> The LEFT side of a vehicle in Great Britain usually contains the passenger
> seat.
>
> When one is standing at the front of the car (why, oh why, did BMW go away
> from the rear opening bonnet/hood?), the LEFT side of the car is still the
> side that has the steering wheel in the US, or the passenger seat in the
> UK. Yes, you smart arses, there are exceptions if there is a RHD car in
> America or an LHD in the UK.
>
> The easy way to remember banks, and/or cylinder numbering in a BMW is
> this.
> What side of the car did you need to stand on to remove the spark plugs
> from a 1970's 4 or 6 cylinder BMW? The RIGHT hand side. The cylinder
> number is 1 to 4, or 6, starting at the front. So, cylinder number 1 is
> the forward most cylinder on the RIGHT hand side of the car. Go back from
> there. When you run out of cylinders, move to the LEFT side. The even/odd
> numbering system is an American V8 trait that has probably made it's way
> into various European models, but not BMW.
>
> V8, cylinders 1 through 4 are the RIGHT bank, cylinders 5 through 8 are
> the LEFT bank. V12, 1-6 RIGHT, 7-12 LEFT.

I have to disapute this. As I sit here and consult my Motor Manual AND my
Factory Shop Manual for my Jeep, it is clearly shown that the #1 cylinder is
the front left.

I agree there are variances of numbering the odds all on the left and evens
on the right (GM Style), and sequential numbering with 1 to 4 left and 5 to
8 right, (Ford Style) but the #1 is always the front left, and is always the
front on an inline motor (either 4 or 6, or 8 for that matter -- yes, there
was once an Inline 8). I am not aware of any motor that numbers the #1 on
the front right. Please provide a cite if this is not accurate.

> To add a little confusion, in a 6 cylinder car, if there is a reference to
> Bank 1, and Bank 2, bank 1 is the first 3 cylinders, bank 2 is the back 3
> cylinders.

That would be an Inline 6. The V6 shares the Bank 1 and Bank 2 numbering
conventions with the V8 motors.

Old July 12th 06, 09:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SteveG[_1_]

Dean Dark wrote:

>>> Take a guess at which way most people would look at it.
>>>
>>> Or are you one of those ****s who stands behind a clock and has, shall
>>> we say, a somewhat different opinion of which direction is clockwise?

>> Jeez! Are you blind or don't you understand that a smiley emoticon
>> suggests a tongue-in-cheek post?
>>
>> Some mothers do 'ave 'em

> Y'know, sometimes a smiley isn't enough to excuse an utterly pointless
> post that doesn't even have any original or worthwhile humo(u)r in it.
>
> HTH, HAND, etc.

You must get ever so lonely on planet Perfect. In which case you'll feel
right at home in my newly created (just for you) kill file.

Have a nice day!!

--
Regards

Steve G