Replacing Tie Rod Ends Replacment question

Old March 9th 05, 01:28 PM
rodod

Default Replacing Tie Rod Ends Replacment question

I'm going to replace the tie rod ends myself and possibly the balljoints.
I've done it on a ford but I've never done it on a Saturn.
Is there anything to watch out for?

Old March 9th 05, 01:52 PM
Lane

You may need a torch to get the old outer tie rod ends off. Wasn't easy
each time I've done it. And no matter how good I think I've eyballed it or
counted the threads/turns, I still end up needing an alignment afterwards.

If you're talking about the S-Series, the lower ball joints are a part of
the lower control arms. You have to replace entire control arm. The upper
strut mounts actually act as the upper ball joints. To replace those,
you'll need a spring compressor and an alignment afterwards. It's not
common when they go bad, so most people wait to have them replaced until
they replace their struts.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 9th 05, 07:20 PM

Hope you live in an area that doesn't get a lot of road salt or
corrosion. Getting my control arms off was the hardest auto job
I've ever attempted myself. Might have helped to have the car up
on a lift and had some air tools handy too. Ended up cutting
them out the hard way per a suggestion from a previous ng post.
Wish you a lot of luck.

Old March 9th 05, 08:11 PM
blah blah

You shouldnt count threads but rather take a good measurement. (from
center point of tie rod socket to some point of the linkage.) Instead of
a torch one might try PB penetrating catalyst. (WD-40 sucks.) Also turn
and look your steering wheel so the tie rod is sticking out for easier
access.

In article >,
says...

> You may need a torch to get the old outer tie rod ends off. Wasn't easy
> each time I've done it. And no matter how good I think I've eyballed it or
> counted the threads/turns, I still end up needing an alignment afterwards.

In article <9f8c22bb4a9881d80dc5283ae2f5b0b9
@localhost.talkaboutautos.com>,
says...

Old March 9th 05, 11:21 PM
rodod

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.
I live in Ottawa Canada where there's alot of salt put on the roads which
can cause alot of corrosion.
Fortunately though I have access to the tools suggested to loosen the tie
rod ends.
Should be interesting.