Cracked Brake Shoes

Old May 10th 05, 03:52 AM
WaterWatcher

Default Cracked Brake Shoes

I noticed some hairline cracks in my drum brake shoe on my Honda Civic. Are
these an immediate concern or is it OK to wait and see if they get worse?
No chunks were missing and it was only the leading shoe on one side (still
have to check the other side). The shoes have less than 12K miles on them.

Thanks,
Ray

Old May 10th 05, 04:13 AM
el Diablo

"WaterWatcher" > wrote in message
>I noticed some hairline cracks in my drum brake shoe on my Honda Civic.
>Are these an immediate concern or is it OK to wait and see if they get
>worse? No chunks were missing and it was only the leading shoe on one side
>(still have to check the other side). The shoes have less than 12K miles on
>them.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

Most likely will get worse with use. At 12K miles are they worn thin?

Brian

Old May 11th 05, 12:50 AM
Al Bundy

Not immediately a problem, but keep watching them. That cracking is
what precedes the pieces chunking off. I think I'd just drive it a bit
more for experimentation and have a set of high quality shoes to change
into next time you look.
I'm assuming the wear seems normal and the parking brake and self
adjusters are working right. It could well be that shoe is being
adjusted too tight and is overheating. maybe someone drove around with
the parking brake engaged.

Old May 12th 05, 03:47 AM
WaterWatcher

"el Diablo" > wrote in message

> "WaterWatcher" > wrote in message
>>I noticed some hairline cracks in my drum brake shoe on my Honda Civic.
>>Are these an immediate concern or is it OK to wait and see if they get
>>worse? No chunks were missing and it was only the leading shoe on one side
>>(still have to check the other side). The shoes have less than 12K miles
>>on them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ray
>>

> Most likely will get worse with use. At 12K miles are they worn thin?
>
> Brian

No, there is plenty of material left on the shoes. No obvious signs of
overheating either. I took the whole assembly apart, cleaned and greased
where needed, and reassembled. Brake cylinder had a slight leak, so I
rebuilt that. Guess I'll just wait and see.

Ray

Old May 12th 05, 02:14 PM
Al Bundy

WaterWatcher wrote:
> "el Diablo" > wrote in message
> >
> > "WaterWatcher" > wrote in message
> >>I noticed some hairline cracks in my drum brake shoe on my Honda

Civic.
> >>Are these an immediate concern or is it OK to wait and see if they

get
> >>worse? No chunks were missing and it was only the leading shoe on

one side
> >>(still have to check the other side). The shoes have less than 12K

miles
> >>on them.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ray
> >>

> > Most likely will get worse with use. At 12K miles are they worn

thin?

> > Brian

> No, there is plenty of material left on the shoes. No obvious signs

of
> overheating either. I took the whole assembly apart, cleaned and

greased
> where needed, and reassembled. Brake cylinder had a slight leak, so I

> rebuilt that. Guess I'll just wait and see.
>
> Ray

I cut the drum of my neighbor's Isuzu the other day as he was doing a
brake job. The replacement drum was from Japan and looked good. The
bearings and shoes were from China and they looked good until I noticed
that the linings were glued on cockeyed by 3/16 of an inch on a 1.25"
shoe. Quality is not what it used to be. There are hidden, latent
defects. You're on top of it so you won't get surprizsed.

Super Beetle brake shoes - are front and rear the same? Scott H VW air cooled 13 March 15th 05 03:53 PM
deglazing brake shoes. DougW Jeep 0 February 5th 05 09:42 PM
Rear Brake Shoes - '93 Jeep Cherokee Ralf Jeep 3 January 4th 05 01:54 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 03:21 AM
Antique Brake shoes worth anything? 15-30years old. lbbss General 9 May 29th 04 01:03 AM