1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Old September 23rd 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Raymond[_1_]

Default 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo

ok its saturday mourning and had my jeep in the drive way about a week
because it would cut off when i get to a red light or stop sign four
times in one day was enough to leave it home that long !!!! Now i go to
crank it up to take to get it checked out (just got paid thats why it
was in the drive way) and the battery was competely drained?? Now it's
a new batt how can drain so fast didnt crank it up all week??? so I
have two probelms frist is what can i do about the stalling, was going
to have the cpu checked out because i changed the CPS, Ignetion coil,
distribour cap and rotor and also fuel pump???? second it gave a code
of 12-42-55-55 when i did the on,off,on,off,on trick what does that
code mean???? and the second problem why would the batt die so fast the
only thing that it was powering was the alarm??? Plz help as you can
tell im at wits end!!!! basic info 110199 miles, 2 w/d, 6 clyd kept up
with basic mant.

Old September 23rd 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Fault Code 12
Synopsis
Power loss light: Off
Limp-in mode: None

Possible Causes
Battery or power line recently disconnected - This code is normal if the
electrical system has been worked on or the battery has recently been
disconnected. It will be removed after 15 ignition switch on/off cycles.

Low system voltage, bad battery or battery terminals - If the system
recently had a power drop (due to a dead battery or bad alternator), this
code will appear. If the battery terminals are bad and the engine was
jumped, this code will appear. See the Diagnosing Your Charging System page
for more information.

Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the
battery, power module, and logic module (or SMEC). Check all fusible links
and power connectors to the battery. Clean and regrease any corroded
connectors with dielectric grease and repair any shorts.

Diagnostic Method
Trigger Parameters
- Logic module receives power after previously not having power

Results If Component Fails
Fault code 12 is stored. The logic module is basically telling you that it
has lost power and will not remember any previously stored codes or engine
sensor table data. The code will be removed after 15 ignition on/off cycles
and the logic module will use default values for all look-up tables as a
starting point until it "learns" the attributes of the engine.

Fault Code 42-SMEC
Synopsis
Notes: For models using the SMEC (most 1988 and later)

Power loss light: Off
Limp-in mode: None

Possible Causes
Blown fusible link to power module (or SMEC) - Check the only white fusible
link (may look grey if dirty) by tugging on it. A good link will feel solid
while a blown link will stretch like a rubber band. It is the white link on
the two-link circuit (not the four or five link circuit). This link
supplies power to the ASD relay and the voltage sense input on the logic
module (may be accompanied by a code 16). See the Fusible Links page for
more details.

Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the ASD
relay and the logic module. Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with
dielectric grease and repair any shorts.

ASD relay failure - Disconnect the relay, apply 12V to the relay coil, and
check the contacts

Diagnostic Method
Trigger Parameters
- Near 0V or near 12V not detected when the relay is turned on or off,
respectively

OR

- 12V not detected at output of ASD relay

Results If Component Fails
Fault code 42 is stored.

Fault Code 55
Synopsis
Power loss light: Off
Limp-in mode: None

Possible Causes
No further fault codes are stored. If this is the only code received, then
there are no codes stored in memory. This code will always be given, even
if nothing is wrong. If you do not get this code, then you may not be
retrieving the codes properly, or the power loss light may be burnt out.
The light should come on for 1 second when the ignition is initially turned
on as a bulb test.

Diagnostic Method
Trigger Parameters
- No further codes in memory

ups.com...

Old September 23rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Raymond[_1_]

ok thanks .. Can that also contribute to the stalling cuz i rav the
engine to about three thousand rpm and I took my foot off the gas and
the idle went to zero and felt like it wanted to cut off again but it
didnt the idle went to about 600 rpm then to 700 rpm and it was park i
can guess it will do that to me in drive...any info would greatly
appreciated

Old September 23rd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

If the battery has a bad cell, a grand won't run. If the connections to
the battery are dirty not allowing it to charge fully, then it will die
too.

I would start by cleaning the battery cables on both ends and be making
sure the ground to the body was also cleaned.

A dirty connection on the TPS can make it up and stall, but that
wouldn't also give you a dead battery.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 23rd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

New battery implies cables were disconnected - were the connectors and
terminal cleaned when you installed the battery? Battery connections
good and tight?

Out of curiosity, when it wouldn't start after sitting, what was the
actual state of the battery? Are you sure it wasn't a bad connection
and not the battery?

As for dying at the stop sign, the usual culprits is the TPS - clean
the connections near the throttle body with contact cleaner. If that
doesn't work, check the O2 sensor (and its connector). That will also
cause an undershoot on engine deceleration and kill it.

--
Will Honea
Old September 24th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Raymond,
Take the alternator off and have it tested, engine and battery
dying and are a symptom of a bad diode.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/