does anyone know this?

Old March 9th 05, 06:24 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

Default does anyone know this?

I want to install a new air filter housing on my 258, carter carb. Does
anyone know the receiver size? that worded right...

in other words, I ditched the emissions crap and want a new air filter
housing and im not sure what "size" I need.

hope that makes sense

Old March 9th 05, 06:47 PM
Mike Romain

I guess you live someplace warm eh? Man I hate it when my carb turns
into a block of ice so I kept the stock filter housing with the hot air
intake tube.

I think the aftermarket housings come by vehicle type so you just get
one that says it's fits a CJ/YJ or use a tape measure on the
opening.......

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 9th 05, 07:09 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

maybe im making a mistake.....im in Alberta. I should probably keep the
original one...or keep it for winter. I just liked the idea of seeing the
vavle cover..

Old March 9th 05, 07:43 PM
Mike Romain

Canadian Tire sells new air filter housings that will fit on. They sell
a lot of Jeep stuff including carb kits.

Alberta is where I saw a whole mess of frozen carbs. One froze into a
solid block at 50 mph in a snow storm on the Jasper highway. What a
riot that was, the throttle stayed at 50 mph..... We got it stopped and
had to pull into a garage bay in Edson or Stoney plain maybe for an hour
to thaw the sucker.

I do recommend the stock filter and heat tube for the winter.....

Mike

Old March 9th 05, 08:10 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

hmm....that heat tube is on the manifold right? which I replaced with a
pacesetter header. any way to rig something up? Have you seen any fixes?

Old March 9th 05, 08:23 PM
Mike Romain

I have seen bailing wire or large plumbing hose clamps used to hook the
original to one of the header pipes.

I think you can get heat tube boxes for headers or I guess a bit of
sheet metal and some snips.... I would check at the wreckers maybe.
They are usually just screwed or riveted on.

You have serious cold out there.....

Mike

Old March 9th 05, 09:02 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

hehheh...yes we do, dont dare **** outside or it'll freeze up before you're
done.

I never took a close look at the other one, I'll probably be able to rig it
up.

Old March 9th 05, 10:35 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Then at least use the housing of your stock air filer:
http://www.billhughes.com/weber.jpg Remember any aftermarket will only
fit straight up from the carburetor, (except the one made by the snake
oil manufacturer and only traps giant grasshoppers) and you need at
least one with fifteen inches diameter to get a enough filtration area,
which usually means doing away with the hood:
http://www.billhughes.com/bluejeep.jpg :-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 9th 05, 10:45 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

So Bill, what you're saying is I can forget about having a pretty chrome air
filter????