Bearing on Flywheel

Old May 30th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

Default Bearing on Flywheel

Hi There,
Can someone please tell me if there is a bearing on the flywheel for a
D15B7 Civic Manual.
Full details of the car are below.
I have had a look at the Honda workshop manual and I cannont seem to
find a bearing.
The Haynes book does not also mention anything about a bearing.
Although Exedy (clutch manufacturer) says that there is a pilot
bearing so I am confused....
Regards,
Michael

Manufacturer: Honda Motor Co
Line/Engine and Body Type: EG8 Civic 1500/4Door Sedan
Body and Transmission Type: 4-Door Sedan/5-Speed Manual
Vehicle Grade: LX (EG8) (GLi in Australia)
Model Year: 1995
Engine Type: D15B7
Serial Number: S20

Old May 30th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

MikeLikes wrote:
> Hi There,
> Can someone please tell me if there is a bearing on the flywheel for a
> D15B7 Civic Manual.
> Full details of the car are below.
> I have had a look at the Honda workshop manual and I cannont seem to
> find a bearing.
> The Haynes book does not also mention anything about a bearing.
> Although Exedy (clutch manufacturer) says that there is a pilot
> bearing so I am confused....
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> Manufacturer: Honda Motor Co
> Line/Engine and Body Type: EG8 Civic 1500/4Door Sedan
> Body and Transmission Type: 4-Door Sedan/5-Speed Manual
> Vehicle Grade: LX (EG8) (GLi in Australia)
> Model Year: 1995
> Engine Type: D15B7
> Serial Number: S20

When you step on the clutch, you are lifting the pilot bearing off of
the clutch pressure plate. It is part of the transmission. It is a
good idea to replace the bearing as part of a clutch replacement. It's
very easy, having done it myself.

dan
Old May 30th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Greenblurr93[_2_]

there is a pilot bearing and a throwout bearing... both should be
replaced when changing the clutch.

--
Greenblurr93
Greenblurr93's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=198434

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 30th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

MikeLikes wrote:
> Hi There,
> Can someone please tell me if there is a bearing on the flywheel for a
> D15B7 Civic Manual.
> Full details of the car are below.
> I have had a look at the Honda workshop manual and I cannont seem to
> find a bearing.
> The Haynes book does not also mention anything about a bearing.
> Although Exedy (clutch manufacturer) says that there is a pilot
> bearing so I am confused....
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> Manufacturer: Honda Motor Co
> Line/Engine and Body Type: EG8 Civic 1500/4Door Sedan
> Body and Transmission Type: 4-Door Sedan/5-Speed Manual
> Vehicle Grade: LX (EG8) (GLi in Australia)
> Model Year: 1995
> Engine Type: D15B7
> Serial Number: S20

Please consult www.slhondaparts.com for complete diagrams and PART NAMES
/ numbers.

I really don't understand Dan@nospam's comment.

'Curly'
Old May 30th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

motsco_ wrote:

> Please consult www.slhondaparts.com for complete diagrams and PART NAMES
> / numbers.
>
> I really don't understand Dan@nospam's comment.
>
> 'Curly'

The clutch does push the bearing into the pressure plate assembly
actually, which lifts the clutch pressure plate away from the flywheel
clutch plate. I did get that backwards in my first post.

The bearing surrounds the transmission shaft and is part of the
transmission. At least that's the way it was on my '88 Accord.

Sorry for any confusion caused by my mental dyslexia.

dan
Old May 30th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

dan wrote:
> The clutch does push the bearing into the pressure plate assembly
> actually, which lifts the clutch pressure plate away from the flywheel
> clutch plate. I did get that backwards in my first post.
>
> The bearing surrounds the transmission shaft and is part of the
> transmission. At least that's the way it was on my '88 Accord.
>
> Sorry for any confusion caused by my mental dyslexia.
>
> dan

---------------------------

Yes, the THROWOUT bearing is pushed by the clutch fork and it disengages
the clutch. The PILOT bearing rides in the center of the flywheel and
keeps the clutch centered and the transmission's shaft 'steady' (it's
sometimes called the _steady_ bearing) .

'Curly'
Old May 31st 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

Hi All,
Thanks for the info.
I already have the throwout bearing so thats not a problem.
The pilot bearing was show under the CLUTCH-TORQUE CONVERTER section
that is why I could not find it. (thanks for the link motsco) I will
now need to go and get one.
Regards,
Michael.

M10 flywheel on an M42? John Burns BMW 0 April 24th 06 09:31 PM
Bearing Races Question and Wheel Bearing Pack Question Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 3 June 11th 05 05:51 AM
Oil leak behind flywheel MIC VW air cooled 3 April 22nd 05 12:24 AM
Flywheel shanghyd Dodge 0 March 29th 05 05:43 AM
Flywheel nut - which size PP VW air cooled 6 October 19th 04 04:26 PM