Need advice for purchasing new Honda

Old November 9th 04, 08:33 PM
John Roden

When I bought my Civic (non hybrid) the extended warranty out to 100K
miles was about $800 extra. My understanding is the civic hybrid is a
perfectly nice car, great on gas especially in the city. My civic
gets 36-38 mpg, which is just fine. The performance isn't
spectacular, but it's good enough.

I don't know if you lose trunk space with the hybrid, better check.
The accord looks nice, but you have to buy the top line model for a
lot of money to get the hybrid option.
Old November 9th 04, 09:48 PM

John Roden > wrote:
> I don't know if you lose trunk space with the hybrid, better check.

The rear seat doesn't fold down, because the battery pack and controller
are upright behind the seat, so you lose the utility of the pass through
into the trunk. The battery pack is only about 3 inches thick, so there
isn't much trunk volume lost. The Honda Comparison says the Hybrid has 10.1
cu.ft. of cargo space, and the LX has 12.9. Three cubic feet is more than
I would have guessed. The trunk seems plenty large.

<http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+Hybrid>

Some components on the AT-PZEV emissions warranty are covered for 150,000
miles.

--
---

Old November 10th 04, 03:11 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
> wrote:
> The one place that I wish I had more power is
>on an expressway onramp when the guy in front of me stops, leaving me at
>least part way down the ramp, needing the 0-60 power that I don't have.

You live in Pennsylvania? I once visited there for a weekend and
saw it happen a few times. After seeing it happen, I always left
a huge following distance behind other cars on the on-ramp. So when
someone stopped at the end of the on-ramp in front of me, I was able
to stop at the beginning, in order to have the whole on-ramp to get
up to freeway speed (the rental car, a Geo Prizm with 3-speed automatic,
needed that distance).

Why do people in Pennsylvania do that? It is extremely unsafe, since
stopping at the end of the on-ramp means no acceleration room to go
from a dead stop to freeway speed. And it forces everyone behind to
drive unsafely as well.

Timothy J. Lee
Old November 10th 04, 04:26 PM
He Hate Retard and Moron

It's common in CA. Only cause we have stop-lights called "Meters" on almost
every on-ramp. The worst is the old Pasadena fwy, where on-ramps are very very
short.

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old November 10th 04, 05:25 PM

In rec.autos.makers.honda Timothy J. Lee > wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>> The one place that I wish I had more power is
>>on an expressway onramp when the guy in front of me stops, leaving me at
>>least part way down the ramp, needing the 0-60 power that I don't have.

> You live in Pennsylvania? I once visited there for a weekend and

Nope. One of the other Blue States ;-)
I can almost guess when a driver is likely to stop. I try to leave quite a
gap, but some of them putter down the onramp, and decide to stop after I
think they are ready to get on the expressway.

--
---

Old November 10th 04, 07:05 PM
Christopher Green

(Timothy J. Lee) wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> > wrote:
> > The one place that I wish I had more power is
> >on an expressway onramp when the guy in front of me stops, leaving me at
> >least part way down the ramp, needing the 0-60 power that I don't have.

> You live in Pennsylvania? I once visited there for a weekend and
> saw it happen a few times. After seeing it happen, I always left
> a huge following distance behind other cars on the on-ramp. So when
> someone stopped at the end of the on-ramp in front of me, I was able
> to stop at the beginning, in order to have the whole on-ramp to get
> up to freeway speed (the rental car, a Geo Prizm with 3-speed automatic,
> needed that distance).
>
> Why do people in Pennsylvania do that? It is extremely unsafe, since
> stopping at the end of the on-ramp means no acceleration room to go
> from a dead stop to freeway speed. And it forces everyone behind to
> drive unsafely as well.

The one time I drove in Pennsylvania, there would be a stop sign at
the end of each ramp. Good thing I had something more powerful than a
Prizm.

(In California, entering traffic is supposed to yield, but typically
just charges ahead without yielding. Drivers used to this behavior get
perplexed by yield-on enter or stop-on-enter states, or on the
Pasadena Freeway, which still has stop signs on the (rather short)
ramps.)

--
Chris Green
Old November 10th 04, 08:15 PM

In rec.autos.makers.honda Christopher Green > wrote:
> (In California, entering traffic is supposed to yield, but typically
> just charges ahead without yielding.

That always seemed counter-intuitive to me. The traffic already on the
freeway typically has a much better view, and more time to react, than the
driver coming onto the freeway from an angled onramp with obstructed
rearward views.

Oh, well... foot to the floor, IMA humming, barge right in.

--
---

Old November 10th 04, 11:22 PM
John David Galt

He Hate Retard and Moron wrote:
> It's common in CA. Only cause we have stop-lights called "Meters" on almost
> every on-ramp. The worst is the old Pasadena fwy, where on-ramps are very very
> short.

The Pasadena Freeway is one of the first in the country, very out of date and
not at all typical. On most there is plenty of room after the stop line of the
metering lights to get up to speed before merging, unless you drive an ancient
piece of junk or you are behind a big-rig.
Old November 10th 04, 11:35 PM
Nate Nagel

Timothy J. Lee wrote:

> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> The one place that I wish I had more power is
>>on an expressway onramp when the guy in front of me stops, leaving me at
>>least part way down the ramp, needing the 0-60 power that I don't have.

> You live in Pennsylvania? I once visited there for a weekend and
> saw it happen a few times. After seeing it happen, I always left
> a huge following distance behind other cars on the on-ramp. So when
> someone stopped at the end of the on-ramp in front of me, I was able
> to stop at the beginning, in order to have the whole on-ramp to get
> up to freeway speed (the rental car, a Geo Prizm with 3-speed automatic,
> needed that distance).
>
> Why do people in Pennsylvania do that? It is extremely unsafe, since
> stopping at the end of the on-ramp means no acceleration room to go
> from a dead stop to freeway speed. And it forces everyone behind to
> drive unsafely as well.

Having grown up in PA I think that practice comes from two factors -
one, very very short on ramps dating back to pre-Interstate days (PA was
one of the first states to introduce modern high-speed roads, and
unfortunately there have been a few minor design changes for the better
implemented since those roads were built) and also the near-universal
practice of putting up stop signs (?!?!?!) at the end of onramps in
construction zones - and sometimes in non-construction zones as well.
It's been a good 10 years since I lived there, but I remember one onramp
in Squirrel Hill (neighborhood of Pittsburgh) that I detested, getting
on I-376 heading towards Monroeville, there was a stop sign at the end
of a short acceleration ramp and then you had to merge over two lanes
instantly to go through the Squirrel Hill tunnels. Quite an adventure
when traffic was flowing freely on 376! I don't know if it's still like
that or not, it's been a few years since I've been back. I have to
admit, I usually blew off that stop sign, bad bad nate.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel