Need advice for purchasing new Honda

Old November 9th 04, 02:21 PM
Adrian

Default Need advice for purchasing new Honda

Hi,

I'd like to purchase a new Honda, preferably the Civic or Accord Hybrid, but
the 3yr/36000 mi warranty concerns me. I have 2 other other Hondas (90
Accord that I'm selling and, a 96 Civic) and they have been very reliable,
but hybrids are new types of engines, and I don't have any info regarding
their reliability in the long term. Also, I imagine fixing and servicing a
hybrid must be more expensive than the regular type of car.

The Civic Hybrid only has about 100 hp, and I was wondering if this is
enough power for day to day driving - doesn't it feel too sluggish?

I like the 10yr/100k mi warranty on Hyundai, but the milage is putting me
off - a Civic equivalent - Elantra - has the same milage as the Accord.

Anybody would like to comment on these points? Anything else worth knowing
before purchasing one?

I'd appreciate any help,

Adrian

Old November 9th 04, 03:31 PM
He Hate Retard and Moron

Get the Accord hybrid.

It has over 200hp V6 and gets close to 40MPG.

Believe the batteries are warrantied longer at around 7 years.

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old November 9th 04, 04:16 PM
Caroline

Have you ever tried the magazine "Consumer Reports"?

The April issue is a comprehensive discussion of car buying and
reviews of cars. Also, it will direct you to back issues that discuss
specific models of cars, like the Honda hybrids.

Or google for {Honda hybrid}. Lots of discussion of performance should
come up.

I think the Toyota hybrid (Prius) is generally still considered
superior to the Honda hybrids available.

"Adrian" > wrote

Old November 9th 04, 04:21 PM
He Hate Retard and Moron

>I think the Toyota hybrid (Prius) is generally still considered
>superior to the Honda hybrids available.

It won't be when the Accord hybrid arrives. V6 255hp and 38MPG (hwy)!

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old November 9th 04, 04:33 PM
Caroline

38 mpg? That justifies the extra bucks for a hybrid?

I can't see the greenies who lean towards hybrids caring about high
horsepower.

"He Hate Retard and Moron" > wrote

Old November 9th 04, 04:37 PM
He Hate Retard and Moron

>38 mpg? That justifies the extra bucks for a hybrid?
>
>I can't see the greenies who lean towards hybrids caring about high
>horsepower.

What are you, a stupid repube?

Hybrid owners *WANT* higher HP, but are willing to sacrifice it in the name of
higher MPG. Potential Hybrid owners are reluctant to buy it because of the lack
of HP. Now the Accord addresses both concerns by providing MORE hp and extra
10MPG.

Go drive your Suburban in to a lake, bitch.

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old November 9th 04, 04:42 PM
Caroline

"He Hate Retard and Moron" > wrote
> >38 mpg? That justifies the extra bucks for a hybrid?
> >
> >I can't see the greenies who lean towards hybrids caring about high
> >horsepower.
> >

> What are you, a stupid repube?
>
> Hybrid owners *WANT* higher HP, but are willing to sacrifice it in

the name of
> higher MPG. Potential Hybrid owners are reluctant to buy it because

of the lack
> of HP. Now the Accord addresses both concerns by providing MORE hp

and extra
> 10MPG.

So the Accord Hybrid marketing department wants their CEOs and
pimpdaddi's to believe. ;-)

> Go drive your Suburban in to a lake, bitch.

This is not only not going to sell Honda Hybrids; it's also not going
to sell your argument.

Old November 9th 04, 04:51 PM
He Hate Retard and Moron

>So the Accord Hybrid marketing department wants their CEOs and
>pimpdaddi's to believe. ;-)

So it's the word of a reputable company, who's been in the business for half a
century vs. some stupid bimbo on a NG.
I choose the bimbo. NOT.

>> Go drive your Suburban in to a lake, bitch.

>This is not only not going to sell Honda Hybrids; it's also not going
>to sell your argument.

Accord Hybrid will sell itself. You driving in to the lake would solve the
"condom broke," issue ur parents had.

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old November 9th 04, 06:13 PM
Adrian

> Have you ever tried the magazine "Consumer Reports"?

Yes, I have, but nothing beats the experience and opinions of a real user.

Thanks all for your answers!

Adrian

Old November 9th 04, 06:52 PM

Adrian > wrote:
> I'd like to purchase a new Honda, preferably the Civic or Accord Hybrid, but
> the 3yr/36000 mi warranty concerns me. I have 2 other other Hondas (90
> Accord that I'm selling and, a 96 Civic) and they have been very reliable,
> but hybrids are new types of engines, and I don't have any info regarding
> their reliability in the long term. Also, I imagine fixing and servicing a
> hybrid must be more expensive than the regular type of car.

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 36,000 miles. My only problem has been
loose plastic inside. No Hybrid/CVT issues. The batteries are warranted
for 8/80. I also bought a HondaCare warranty for 10/100 that has a refund
if I don't use it.

> The Civic Hybrid only has about 100 hp, and I was wondering if this is
> enough power for day to day driving - doesn't it feel too sluggish?

I suppose that depends on what you are comparing it against.
The CVT helps a lot. It makes the car seem much smoother and quicker than
a "normal" Civic automatic. The one place that I wish I had more power is
on an expressway onramp when the guy in front of me stops, leaving me at
least part way down the ramp, needing the 0-60 power that I don't have.
It seems fine at freeway speeds and in mountains, and also fine 0-30 in
city driving. I think 0-60 is about 12 seconds, which used to be a decent
number for a little car, maybe when 100hp seemed like a lot.

> Anybody would like to comment on these points? Anything else worth knowing
> before purchasing one?

I don't like the Accord. I prefer the Civic. The Civic Hybrid is the only
Honda I would own. I don't like the Standard Civic.

I have seen 100 mile stretches of 80 mph cruise with A/C at 42mpg.
I have seen 20 mile stretches at 45mph at 65mpg.

2003 Civic Hybrid SULEV CVT automatic. San Jose, CA to Benicia, CA.
60mph cruise control, 59.0 miles, 59.0 mpg.
70mph cruise control, 59.0 miles, 52.0 mpg.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/Honda_Mileage.htm

--
---