A scam too far...

Old February 4th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default A scam too far...

In article >, Dave wrote:

> In one episode I saw, the lady (I'll be kind) was actually shown hiding
> around the corner waiting impatiently and GLEEFULLY for 4PM, when she could
> ticket and tow a bunch of cars that were -legally- parked, but which were
> required to be moved by 4PM. It was so stereotypical, I couldn't believe
> that they actually AIRED that. People think of meter maids watching their
> watches for the second that the meter expires and writing tickets in advance
> so they can pounce the moment the red flag pops up. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT SHE
> WAS DOING!!! But she took it a step further, and had the cars towed. God,
> it made my blood boil watching that.

Makes me wonder about the sanity of anyone that is for government health
care. Imagine a bunch of meter maid types checking up on what you eat!

> happens frequently. But I doubt if they'll show THAT GUY on TV. But they
> glorify the booting squad like they are ****ing heroes or something. It
> makes me ill just thinking about it. -Dave

Oh come on, it's just a conspiracy theory that the TV is glorifying the
mechanisms of a police state.

Old February 5th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave

>> In one episode I saw, the lady (I'll be kind) was actually shown hiding
>> around the corner waiting impatiently and GLEEFULLY for 4PM, when she
>> could
>> ticket and tow a bunch of cars that were -legally- parked, but which were
>> required to be moved by 4PM. It was so stereotypical, I couldn't believe
>> that they actually AIRED that. People think of meter maids watching
>> their
>> watches for the second that the meter expires and writing tickets in
>> advance
>> so they can pounce the moment the red flag pops up. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT
>> SHE
>> WAS DOING!!! But she took it a step further, and had the cars towed.
>> God,
>> it made my blood boil watching that.

> Makes me wonder about the sanity of anyone that is for government health
> care. Imagine a bunch of meter maid types checking up on what you eat!

Oh, you mean like the state of Mississippi, perhaps? From another ng, they
(Mississippi) are passing a law soon. The law states (no, I didn't make
this up) that if you are a restaurant owner, you can lose your business
license for serving food to obese customers. I'll bet you still think I
made that up now, don't you?

(just one link to prove I didn't make it up)
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...02/ms_fat.html
Some stories I read have unspecified remedies, others say repeat offenders
could lose their business license

Next logical step? Obese will be banned (in Mississippi) from entering
grocery stores, supermarkets, convenience stores and all other buildings
where food is for sale. That is, after all, what this restaurant ban is
about . . . the people of Mississippi have spoken, and they want to make it
illegal for the obese to eat in their state!!!

Gonna raise hell with the tourist trade, for sure. Also could lead to some
sticky situations for the diabetics (many of whom are obese) who need to eat
regularly or ummmm, DIE. As I wrote elsewhere, I can see the lawsuit
already . . . you allowed my mom to die!!! (but but...I was just following
the LAW, lady!)

Hmmmmm....and too bad about the MS economy going down the ****ter when truck
drivers refuse to deliver to that state, as they'd prefer to deliver to
states in which they can ummmm, EAT. -Dave

Old February 5th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Feb 4, 2:57*pm, (Brent P) wrote:

> Makes me wonder about the sanity of anyone that is for government health
> care. Imagine a bunch of meter maid types checking up on what you eat!

I thought the joke writers were still on strike
Old February 5th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Feb 4, 7:35*pm, "Dave" > wrote:
> >> In one episode I saw, the lady (I'll be kind) was actually shown hiding
> >> around the corner waiting impatiently and GLEEFULLY for 4PM, when she
> >> could
> >> ticket and tow a bunch of cars that were -legally- parked, but which were
> >> required to be moved by 4PM. *It was so stereotypical, I couldn't believe
> >> that they actually AIRED that. *People think of meter maids watching
> >> their
> >> watches for the second that the meter expires and writing tickets in
> >> advance
> >> so they can pounce the moment the red flag pops up. *THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT
> >> SHE
> >> WAS DOING!!! *But she took it a step further, and had the cars towed.
> >> God,
> >> it made my blood boil watching that.

> > Makes me wonder about the sanity of anyone that is for government health
> > care. Imagine a bunch of meter maid types checking up on what you eat!

> Oh, you mean like the state of Mississippi, perhaps? *From another ng, they
> (Mississippi) are passing a law soon. *The law states (no, I didn't make
> this up) that if you are a restaurant owner, you can lose your business
> license for serving food to obese customers. *I'll bet you still think I
> made that up now, don't you?
>
> (just one link to prove I didn't make it up)http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...02/ms_fat.html
> Some stories I read have unspecified remedies, others say repeat offenders
> could lose their business license
>
> Next logical step? *Obese will be banned (in Mississippi) from entering
> grocery stores, supermarkets, convenience stores and all other buildings
> where food is for sale. *That is, after all, what this restaurant ban is
> about . . . the people of Mississippi have spoken, and they want to make it
> illegal for the obese to eat in their state!!!
>
> Gonna raise hell with the tourist trade, for sure. *Also could lead to some
> sticky situations for the diabetics (many of whom are obese) who need to eat
> regularly or ummmm, DIE. *As I wrote elsewhere, I can see the lawsuit
> already . . . you allowed my mom to die!!! *(but but...I was just following
> the LAW, lady!)
>
> Hmmmmm....and too bad about the MS economy going down the ****ter when truck
> drivers refuse to deliver to that state, as they'd prefer to deliver to
> states in which they can ummmm, EAT. * * * *-Dave- Hide quoted text -

If you have a diabetic friend who dais that, tell her/him to get the
straight dope from the MD. Is that person eating to die from
ignorance, from gluttony or just to end it all?
Old February 5th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Dave wrote:
>>> In one episode I saw, the lady (I'll be kind) was actually shown hiding
>>> around the corner waiting impatiently and GLEEFULLY for 4PM, when she
>>> could
>>> ticket and tow a bunch of cars that were -legally- parked, but which were
>>> required to be moved by 4PM. It was so stereotypical, I couldn't believe
>>> that they actually AIRED that. People think of meter maids watching
>>> their
>>> watches for the second that the meter expires and writing tickets in
>>> advance
>>> so they can pounce the moment the red flag pops up. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT
>>> SHE
>>> WAS DOING!!! But she took it a step further, and had the cars towed.
>>> God,
>>> it made my blood boil watching that.

>> Makes me wonder about the sanity of anyone that is for government health
>> care. Imagine a bunch of meter maid types checking up on what you eat!

> Oh, you mean like the state of Mississippi, perhaps? From another ng, they
> (Mississippi) are passing a law soon. The law states (no, I didn't make
> this up) that if you are a restaurant owner, you can lose your business
> license for serving food to obese customers. I'll bet you still think I
> made that up now, don't you?

No, I know you haven't made it up because I read an article or blog post the
other day where the author had phoned the legislator who sponsored it to
make sure he was serious about it before writing on the subject.

This is only the begining of the nanny-state. Get a load of this:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/NYTimes%20ad%20v3.pdf

What the ad refers to is the FDA at the request of big-pharma is going
about trying to make any competition impossible. Regulation does not
protect consumers in many cases, it is put in place to prevent,
discourage, and remove competition to those favored by government office
holders.

Old February 5th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave

If you have a diabetic friend who dais that, tell her/him to get the
straight dope from the MD. Is that person eating to die from
ignorance, from gluttony or just to end it all?

Huh? Diabetics have problems with blood sugar. Either too high or too low.
Either can kill you. If a diabetic ever tells you he/she must eat, you'd
better not kick that obese person (assuming that the diabetic is obese) out
of your restaurant. Diabetics with low blood sugar problems tend to carry
emergency supplies with them. But **** happens. If I was a restaurant
owner and a diabetic ordered food because of a diabetic incident, I'd serve
that person extra quick, even if it was against the law. (Which it could
be, if my business was in Mississippi). But I can see some stupid
restaurant manager saying HECK NO, the law is the law, blah blah
lah.... -Dave

Old February 5th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave

> This is only the begining of the nanny-state. Get a load of this:
> http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/NYTimes%20ad%20v3.pdf
>
> What the ad refers to is the FDA at the request of big-pharma is going
> about trying to make any competition impossible. Regulation does not
> protect consumers in many cases, it is put in place to prevent,
> discourage, and remove competition to those favored by government office
> holders.

Yup, remember the stink about people crossing the border into Canada to buy
prescription drugs cheaper and how U.S. lawmakers were trying to claim (with
a straight face) that the practice had to be stopped as the safety of the
drugs could not be guaranteed, if they were purchase out of the country?

Like drugs can somehow be safe for Canadians and also poisonous to U.S.
citizens? Please...

On a side Note, why weren't the Canadians really really INSULTED by that
argument??? Essentially some idiots in the U.S. were saying, we don't want
our children exposed to those dangerous poisons, but let the Canadians eat
it, that's A-OK. -Dave

Old February 5th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Dave wrote:

> Next logical step? Obese will be banned (in Mississippi) from entering
> grocery stores, supermarkets, convenience stores and all other buildings
> where food is for sale. That is, after all, what this restaurant ban is
> about . . . the people of Mississippi have spoken, and they want to make
> it illegal for the obese to eat in their state!!!

Which makes me wonder. Mississippi has one of the highest rates of
obesity in the US. One would think that a law like this would have
passed in a state with a lower rate of obesity.
Old February 5th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Motorhead Lawyer > wrote:

>Apparently, you don't park where I do. Milwaukee meters and other
>I've seen in the past dozen years all first go to "Expired" mode and
>then after your 'grace period', it changes to "Violation" mode. Heck,
>even the old mechanical ones I remember had two flags. "Expired" was
>yellow and "Violation" was red, so the reader could see 'em easily
>from a distance.

In Philly, they go from showing the number of minutes to expired, in
just slightly less than the time on the meter (*******s). A yellow "Violation"
flag on an old mechanical meter used to indicate a jammed meter; I
don't think the electronic ones have an equivalent.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 6th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alex

On Feb 4, 12:54 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> PA parking tickets may soon require photographic proof or be thrown out:
>
> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/22/2204.asp

Instead of adding another unecessary law, how about they spend the
time and money
trying to figure out who the offending agents are. They can then
figure out if it was
individuals acting on their own. Those individuals could then be
disciplined. Then
the tax payer wouldn't have to pay for the cost of this new law.
Alex

New Scam David VW water cooled 3 July 5th 07 07:56 PM
Scam or not???? nallio General 3 March 29th 06 10:47 PM
PHOTOBLOCKER IS A SCAM Keyboard Driving 17 November 29th 05 05:31 AM
Another safety scam on the way Rich Ford Mustang 25 September 21st 05 02:46 AM
Scam Nicholas O. Lindan Chrysler 2 December 28th 04 12:58 AM