Noisy Gearbox

Old March 30th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

Default Noisy Gearbox

Hi All,
The gear box in my Honda Civic seems to be making a wired noise and
seems to be getting worse.
As any noise it is hard to describe but the best way to put it is that
it sounds like a "Tractor"
I have found when the clutch is fully engaged that the nose goes
away.
The noise seems to be at its loudest after 2500rpm in 1st and 2nd
gear.
All the gears change fine without any crunching and the clutch or car
do not have any vibrations.
Any suggestions on what it may be or any tests I can try?

My car specifications are as follows:

Manufacturer: Honda Motor Co
Line/Engine and Body Type: EG8 Civic 1500/4Door Sedan
Body and Transmission Type: 4-Door Sedan/5-Speed Manual
Vehicle Grade: LX (EG8) (GLi in Australia)
Model Year: 1995
Engine Type: D15B7
Serial Number: S20

Old March 30th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

input shaft bearing??

Old March 31st 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

I have also found as the car warms up the noise gets more noticeable.
Also the Gear Box is an S20 5 Speed Manual.

Old March 31st 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

MikeLikes wrote:
> I have also found as the car warms up the noise gets more noticeable.
> Also the Gear Box is an S20 5 Speed Manual.

try changing the transmission oil, but it won't make a lot of
difference. what i'd do is live with it for the time being, then when
it's bad enough, swap the transmission with a jdm import. unless you're
a d.i.y.er that's good at transmission rebuilds, it's the most economic
route.
Old April 3rd 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

I doubt is the Gear Box oil as I only use Honda MTF and I chage it
ever 20,000km so I am starting to think it may be a bearing or the fly
wheel.
I really dont want to wait till the gearbox breaks as I would rather
fix it now and do the clutch and fly wheel at the same time.
- Mike

Old April 19th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Speedy Pete

Default Bad clutch release bearing [nt]

Old April 20th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
mattridessleds

Same thing with my 93. Going to change the clutch next weekend i
believe it is the through-out bearing.

--
mattridessleds
mattridessleds's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=509260

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 30th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

I have exactly the same problem in my Civic 1.5i VTEC - My mechanic is
sure it is the bearing on the input shaft, but when I went to Honda to
try and order the part, they said there were a number of bearings. I
dont suppose anyone would be able to describe exactly which bearing
and on what shaft it would be on as apparently there are 2?

Old May 30th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MikeLikes

Well I just bought a new clutch kit this week and I hope to install it
soon.
After the install I will let you all know if the problem has gone
away.
I am hoping it is the release bearing aka thurst bearing / throwout
bearing.
- Mike

Better gearbox Paul Soames VW air cooled 1 April 25th 05 10:24 AM
BMW gearbox? LPG systems BMW 1 January 9th 05 08:41 PM
zf gearbox [email protected] 4x4 0 December 13th 04 01:53 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM