First new car in years - what will they try to sell me?

Old May 10th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Samson

Default First new car in years - what will they try to sell me?

I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
contract.

Anybody have any opinions about whether I should go for the Honda
extended warrantee on hybrid?

Also years ago I remember being offered some extra protection process
on the paint, and extra protection on the bottom of the car (I live in
Northern California so I don't need protection from salt).

I think I'll buy stuff like after market floor mats at a car parts
store.

I should know this stuff but I don't, so I'm asking.

\Samson
Old May 10th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:46:02 -0700, Samson > wrote:

>I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
>that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
>Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
>years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
>extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
>contract.

You're wasting you money if you buy new. Consider $6000 of that going
up in smoke the instant you sign the paperwork.

>Anybody have any opinions about whether I should go for the Honda
>extended warrantee on hybrid?

I wouldn't unless they offer a ten year plan.
I've yet to see any extended warranty on any product that was worth the
cost and trouble.
If you can get it for less than $2.5K and it covers >7 years then it might
be worth considering. Keep in mind that it will invariably not cover the
parts that fail on your car. Make damn sure that coverage for the
hybrid battery pack isn't pro-rated.

>Also years ago I remember being offered some extra protection process
>on the paint, and extra protection on the bottom of the car (I live in
>Northern California so I don't need protection from salt).

Pure snake oil. Don't get any extras. Any.

Why even get a hybrid? It will never pay for itself compared to a three year
old civic non-hybrid. $22K is a lot to pay for a crappy little civic.
Also: don't get a loan > 60 months. Keep in mind that the interest compounds
for every single year. (13% becomes 30%, etc. after 4 years)

Old May 10th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:46:02 -0700, Samson > wrote:

>I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
>that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
>Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
>years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
>extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
>contract.
>
>Anybody have any opinions about whether I should go for the Honda
>extended warrantee on hybrid?
>
>Also years ago I remember being offered some extra protection process
>on the paint, and extra protection on the bottom of the car (I live in
>Northern California so I don't need protection from salt).
>
>I think I'll buy stuff like after market floor mats at a car parts
>store.
>
>I should know this stuff but I don't, so I'm asking.
>
>\Samson

When I buy a new Honda, I avoid buying anything but the car. I might
add the trunk liner and gold kit because I have to buy from Honda
anyway. All those things you mentioned above are cash cows for the
dealer. You don't need any of them. Also, I have been able to beat
Costco's price by going through the fleet managers. People think you
have to be a business to use them, but you don't. See what kind of
bid you can get on the Internet. The person who answers you will
probably be fleet management.

Old May 10th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Samson > wrote:
> I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
> that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
> Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
> years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
> extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
> contract.

I did that same thing. Costco price, walk in, buy the car.
The Civic Hybrid didn't have any options other than transmission in 2003,
and that option is gone for 2006. There are some factory options now, but
no dealer addons.

> Anybody have any opinions about whether I should go for the Honda
> extended warrantee on hybrid?

I bought an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. The price offered was something
like $1700. When I said no, thanks, he suddenly "remembered" that I was on
Costco pricing, and offered it to me for $1143. It is also refundable
after 8 years if I don't use it. I'm getting close to exhausting it, at
70,000 miles, but I won't get the refund until 8 years.

If you are buying a "California AT-PZEV" model, available in 11 states,
check that warranty. Lots of stuff is covered 15/150,000.

> I think I'll buy stuff like after market floor mats at a car parts
> store.

I bought a set of floor mats at Kragen that look like "factory" color.

Old May 10th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

AZ Nomad > wrote:
> Make damn sure that coverage for the hybrid battery pack isn't pro-rated.

The low vlotage battery has some pro-rating applied, the hybrid battery
does not.

Old May 10th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

AZ Nomad > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:46:02 -0700, Samson > wrote:
>

>>I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
>>that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
>>Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
>>years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
>>extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
>>contract.

> You're wasting you money if you buy new. Consider $6000 of that going
> up in smoke the instant you sign the paperwork.

Depends how long you want to keep the car. Buying used is a real minefield.
You don't know where the previous owner planted his little time bombs of
negligence and shoddy repair.

However, I would not purchase a hybrid for long-term ownership. I can see it
being a major pain in the ass once it's over ten years old or so.

for long-term ownership, the newer and the simpler the better.

If I ever replace my Integra, I am going to buy new if I can afford it.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 11th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Thu, 10 May 2007 12:36:34 GMT, AZ Nomad
> wrote:

>On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:46:02 -0700, Samson > wrote:
>

>>I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
>>that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
>>Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
>>years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
>>extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
>>contract.

>You're wasting you money if you buy new. Consider $6000 of that going
>up in smoke the instant you sign the paperwork.

I think that is pretty steep depreciation for a Honda, but it is
certainly worth checking what 1-3 year old hybrids are selling for.
The OP might want to shop around a little using the quote as a
starting point with other local dealers.

>>Anybody have any opinions about whether I should go for the Honda
>>extended warrantee on hybrid?

>I wouldn't unless they offer a ten year plan.
>I've yet to see any extended warranty on any product that was worth the
>cost and trouble.
>If you can get it for less than $2.5K and it covers >7 years then it might
>be worth considering. Keep in mind that it will invariably not cover the
>parts that fail on your car. Make damn sure that coverage for the
>hybrid battery pack isn't pro-rated.

Honda warranties the battery for 8 years/80K. In some states it is 10
years/100K. No mention of it being pro-rated. Generally, extended
warranties aren't worth the cost, but new technology

>>Also years ago I remember being offered some extra protection process
>>on the paint, and extra protection on the bottom of the car (I live in
>>Northern California so I don't need protection from salt).

>Pure snake oil. Don't get any extras. Any.

Certainly none of the magic elixirs. The Honda floor mats are much
nicer than aftermarket, but they are more expensive. You can always
buy them later but, if you call around the dealers and know what is a
good price, you can try to negotiate a discount when you are
purchasing the car.

You also want to know how you are financing this car before you go to
the dealer. You might be able to get better financing at the dealer
but you have to know your alternatives.

And don't sign anything without checking every number. Bring a
calculator. Some dealers use document preparation as a major profit
center.

>Why even get a hybrid? It will never pay for itself compared to a three year
>old civic non-hybrid. $22K is a lot to pay for a crappy little civic.

It is about the same premium you would pay for the Si model and that
certainly won't pay for itself. My preference would be for the Si,
but I am sure the hybrid will be a good car and it just might pay for
itself after all - at least that is what Consumer Reports projects.

If you really want to save money, buy a two or three-year-old Civic DX
with a manual transmission and drive it to 150,000 miles and beyond.
Better yet, just keep driving what you got.

>Also: don't get a loan > 60 months. Keep in mind that the interest compounds
>for every single year. (13% becomes 30%, etc. after 4 years)

I think that is good advice. Most people can't afford to pay cash but
if you have to stretch it beyond 36 months, you might consider a
cheaper car.

Old May 11th 07, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Just Facts

In article >,
Samson > wrote:

> I'm intending to use Costco to buy a Civic Hybrid. The salesman says
> that the price is going to be the Invoice price ($20,789) plus
> Destination and tax and license. My recollection from buying a car
> years ago is that there were a bunch of last minute decisions about
> extended warrantees and options like floor mats when signing the
> contract.
>
> Anybody have any opinions about whether I should go for the Honda
> extended warrantee on hybrid?

Compare it to the included warranty.
You may find nothing worthwhile is added, but it costs a lot.

I believe the battery has a long warranty. You shouldn't plan on
keeping it beyond 5 or 6 yrs as the hybrid battery will then be losing
capacity and becoming less effective every day. When it needs a new
hybrid battery the cost is very high. It may be difficult to sell it at
7/8 yrs, unless a new battery is installed.

> Also years ago I remember being offered some extra protection process
> on the paint, and extra protection on the bottom of the car (I live in
> Northern California so I don't need protection from salt).

Pure dealer profit.
Not even needed on our Canadian salty winter roads.
It may even be worse to have extra bottom protection.
Extra paint protection shouldn't be needed.

> I think I'll buy stuff like after market floor mats at a car parts
> store.

Definitely.

Are you sure the hybrid is a good choice for you?
If you drive mostly stop and go city it is probably worthwhile.
If you drive mostly highway it isn't.
Old May 11th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Gordon McGrew > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 12:36:34 GMT, AZ Nomad
> > wrote:

> >You're wasting you money if you buy new. Consider $6000 of that going
> >up in smoke the instant you sign the paperwork.

> I think that is pretty steep depreciation for a Honda, but it is
> certainly worth checking what 1-3 year old hybrids are selling for.

My 2003 Hybrid with 70,000 miles was 20,100 new, 12,400 trade-in now,
according to Kelly Blue Book. The Private Party value is 14,600.

A 2006 (newest "used" on KBB.com) has a trade-in of 20,600, compared to a
2007 new of 23,195, with an invoice of 20,676.

Old May 11th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Just Facts > wrote:
> I believe the battery has a long warranty. You shouldn't plan on
> keeping it beyond 5 or 6 yrs as the hybrid battery will then be losing
> capacity and becoming less effective every day. When it needs a new
> hybrid battery the cost is very high. It may be difficult to sell it at
> 7/8 yrs, unless a new battery is installed.

There is no after market for the HV battery packs, but I suspect that as
some of them come out of warranty, that market will develop.

The Honda is just a bunch of D-cells, under $1000 if you buy in quantity.

If the battery pack were quite low on capacity in its later years, the
car would still run, it would just be a 1300cc gas motor. It has a 12v
battery and starter (at least in 2003), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Me about 48 years ago Mr. C. Auto Photos 0 November 29th 06 02:25 PM
thanks for the help over the years Ted VW water cooled 2 January 15th 06 02:39 PM
Through The Years... Bob BMW 21 December 24th 05 02:02 AM
CR-V - what years to consider? Rocky Honda 4 August 16th 05 05:29 AM
First day in 8 years with no VW. rat VW water cooled 40 December 16th 04 11:48 PM