Changing spark plugs

Old July 1st 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J. Doh[_1_]

Default Changing spark plugs

How much do dealers charge to change a set of spark plugs these days?

I took a look at the layout of my '99 Mountaineer (V-8 5.0L) and there's
no way you could get to some of those plugs unless you were a miniature
trained monkey, or pulled the whole engine out.

Old July 1st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Fred 2

Take off the front wheels and splash skirts then you can get to the
plugs. That's how I reached them on my Explorer V8

Old July 3rd 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Unless the '99 is somehow different from my '98, there is absolutely no need
to take off wheels. Once you pull the few clips (spend the $5 on the right
tool, instead of struggling with a screwdriver) and put the splash shield
aside, the spark plugs are all in front of you, with lots of room to
maneuver. This vehicle is the easiest to change plugs that I ever owned.

Old July 3rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J. Doh

Even without the splash guards, there is a huge obstruction directly
in front of the two rear-most passenger-side spark plugs (I think it's
the A/C condensor). So I think it would be necessary to get to these
two plugs from underneath, in addition to removing the splash guard.

I've read where removing the air filter box and the intake pipe helps
with access to the spark plugs on the passenger side, but with my
particular layout, this only helps (marginally) access to the two front
plugs, the two rear plugs are still virtually inaccessible.

Years ago I would have tried anyway, but in light of my back problems,
I'll let someone else with a younger and more flexible body tackle this
particular job. ;-)

Old July 4th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Fred 2

Change all plugs from the wheel openings (underneath) it's a lot
easier than from the top, when I did mine I didn't even try attempt to
get to them from above. That box on the passenger side is the A/C
evaporator, the condenser is in front of the radiator.

Old July 4th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

I started looking at changing them myself on the SOHC but it was a big PITA.
I checked with the dealer and they had a tuneup package that included new
plugs that was priced pretty good so I went with them.

--
Allan Williams

Old July 7th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J. Doh[_1_]

Fred, Happy,

Thanks for your advice. I took off the driver's side splash panel to have a look,
and I think that without the tire in the way it should be easy enough. So, I'm going
to give it a try tomorrow. I picked up some double platinum plugs, some dielectric
grease, and some spark plug boot pliers. And some WD-40 just in case these
7-year-old, 97K mile plugs need a little 'persuasion' to get them loose.

Just one last request, any advice about getting the boots off of the plugs that have
the metal heat protection shrouds on them? Just reach around them and tug with
the pliers, or is there a secret trick to these boots?

Old July 7th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Lassie

J. Doh wrote:

> And some WD-40 just in case these 7-year-old, 97K mile plugs need a
> little 'persuasion' to get them loose.

And you may be real sorry if you're not wearing gloves when something
suddenly lets go. My Explorer spark plug experience was a bloody one.
Old July 7th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

I second that, wear gloves (preferably heavy ones) when yanking on the spark
plug wires. Also, spray those plugs with the wd-40 (when the engine is
cool) awhile before you attempt removal. It will make things easier. PB
Blaster is my favorite penetrating oil as I feel it works much better than
wd-40. Also pickup some anti-seize compound to put on your new spark plugs
threads to make the eventual future removal a little easier.

. net...

Old July 11th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J. Doh[_1_]

Follow-up report!

I'm happy to report that I replaced all 8 of 'em today, without
a hitch. I half-expected them to be rusted in after 97K miles
(and 7 years) but they all backed out easily, and it turned out
I didn't even need to remove the left side tire and splash panel.

I did need to remove the right-side tire and splash panel, but
once that was done all 4 plugs were right there and easily
accessible.

All the original plugs were worn to about .065 - .069, and a bit
cruddy. 3 of the plugs on the right side had wet, oily coating
up around the threads. I've been burning about a quart of oil
every 3000 miles lately, I guess that's where it's going.

Oil in the spark plugs steveo2012 BMW 4 August 23rd 05 03:14 AM
2.0L Spark Plugs -- App Book Error Brian Running VW water cooled 1 August 21st 05 08:26 PM
Question Platium Spark Plugs Jason Honda 20 May 23rd 05 06:36 AM
Mystery spark plugs in 2002 stratus Alan Wedin Dodge 8 June 19th 04 02:29 PM
best spark plugs and gas for smog check? CAR DUDE General 5 May 21st 04 02:08 AM