what's involved in putting an air bag back in a '92?

Old May 18th 05, 04:36 AM
~ Avery Anderson~

Default what's involved in putting an air bag back in a '92?

Hi,

I just bought a 92 Miata that had been in an accident that caused the airbag
to deploy. The car was repaired and sold sans the airbag to the guy I
bought it from who has been driving it for 4 years without an airbag.

Is this something a back yard mechanic can do, or is it better left to a
dealership? Any ideas on the cost?

Thanks,

Avery

Old May 18th 05, 05:16 AM
XS11E

"~ Avery Anderson~" > wrote in:

> I just bought a 92 Miata that had been in an accident that caused
> the airbag to deploy. The car was repaired and sold sans the
> airbag to the guy I bought it from who has been driving it for 4
> years without an airbag.
>
> Is this something a back yard mechanic can do, or is it better
> left to a dealership? Any ideas on the cost?

There's a lot of stuff involved, deceleration sensers, circuitry, etc.

The problem is... what was removed? What wasn't?

That might better be left to the dealer.
Old May 19th 05, 05:29 AM
Armon Tanzerian

It depends on HOW it was removed... were things just unplugged, or did they
get clippy with the dykes!

If the former, it's simply a matter of replacing the components. There
really isn't much to the system, basically a couple crash sensors, a
computer, 2 bags, some connectors, and a clockspring.

Now, you'll get a bunch of alarmists that will start trying to scare you
about it being a "bomb" and such, and they might even relate a story or 2
about a "friend" who accidentally touched a wire, and deployed the bag
(nearly impossible to do) in their face, but most horror stories are just
fish stories.

There's some good tech out there on doing it, and the parts are pretty
cheap, and available. If you to to the dealer however it will easily cost
more than the entire car is worth to have a complete system repaired.

good luck!