scraping sound when cornering

Old July 7th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_1_]

Default scraping sound when cornering

Hi all,

Another problem raised.
I've replaced the brakes on my '73 bug.
And still the brakes (left drum) are scraping when I take a turn to the
right.
Before I changed the brakes the sound was also there but I thought it was
due to a badly adjusted bearing (play on the wheel)

When I apply the brakes when cornering the sound is gone.
I'm a little bit concerned, is this a bad thing, or a "just live with it"
thing

TIA
Roger

Old July 8th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Replace the bearings and the race in the drum. actually do both front
wheels bearings at the same time, inside and outside bearings. use the old
race to seat the new ones... you'll hear the difference when they are
seated.. they are pretty inexpensive and dont take long to do. The old
bearings probably have pits in them. If that doesnt solve the prob, then
re-inspect the brakes.

BTW did you just replace the brake shoes? Did you have the drums turned?
Makes a difference.

dw

. ..

Old July 9th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_1_]

Never thought further than the brakes..
Wheel bearings... Of course, When they are shot there is play on it!

Thanks Dragenwagen,
Very helpfull!

Roger

"dragenwagen" > schreef in bericht